WSL 23/24 | Aston Villa v United - 12:30 on Sun 1 Oct

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Just an international break to get through and then the women start their season. Terrible time for an international break but what else is new?

Villa finished last season in fifth. Carla Ward is an excellent manager and has assembled an impressive team. Familiar names like Rachel Daly and Jordan Nobbs have now been joined by Daphne van Domselaar. Strong United connections as well with Katie Hanson, Lucy Staniforth, Adriana Leon and Ebony Salmon all in their squad.

This one's at Villa Park. Tickets at:
https://tickets.manutd.com/en-GB/categories/womens-away

Match is live on BBC2 and the BBC website.

Demon Barber

Just an international break to get through and then the women start their season. Terrible time for an international break but what else is new?

Villa finished last season in fifth. Carla Ward is an excellent manager and has assembled an impressive team. Familiar names like Rachel Daly and Jordan Nobbs have now been joined by Daphne van Domselaar. Strong United connections as well with Katie Hanson, Lucy Staniforth, Adriana Leon and Ebony Salmon all in their squad.

This one's at Villa Park. Tickets at:
https://tickets.manutd.com/en-GB/categories/womens-away

Match is live on BBC2 and the BBC website.
It will be a tough opening fixture, no doubt about it. Villa have strengthened. Our signings look promising, but the loss of Battle and Russo was a blow, so no idea if we are stronger or not.

I expect Skinner to go with his usual team from last season, with Geyse and (hopefully) Riviere starting. Our bench will be strong - let's hope that he is more adventurous with substitutions this year.

Lightbringer

United may have help in this match - from Villa's new kit supplier :lol:

Alisha Lehmann fans now salivating, can the game start already? :devil:

Its a tough away game as they come, so we could need all the assistance we can get!

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Good news regarding Riviere, she's in contention for Sunday!

"When we played Bayern Munich, she blocked a shot and it kind-of adjusted her knee a little bit," Skinner said.

"Nothing too serious. She has been on a rehab phase to come back.

"Jayde will train this morning and she will be in contention for the game on Sunday.

"She is now clear to enter full training so hopefully no recurrence and she will be okay."

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
No pressure on them but basically on them to single-handedly save the weekend now. Geyse brace please.

madi5h

Skinner talking about the impact of the WWC and then the September international breaks on our pre-season. They had "most of the squad" available together for 5 days.
I hate to see excuses being made BEFORE a game, plus this is complaining about having international players, in other words better players, and our real rivals have to deal with the same.
comes across a bit whingey tbh

Lightbringer

I hate to see excuses being made BEFORE a game, plus this is complaining about having international players, in other words better players, and our real rivals have to deal with the same.
:nono: :lol:

Last time Skinner was thrown to the wolves he lead us to 2nd place in the league. Lets hope he proves us wrong again, haha.

I cant believe its only hours to an actual game after all the silly season chats for months!

Demon Barber

:nono: :lol:

Last time Skinner was thrown to the wolves he lead us to 2nd place in the league. Lets hope he proves us wrong again, haha.

I cant believe its only hours to an actual game after all the silly season chats for months!
Skinner does have a point, but of course it has been the same for all the top sides.

Anyway, I am on the Megabus to Birmingham now. Looking forward to this one. Hopefully we get off to a good start and they give us all something to smile about after yesterday's disappointment.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I haven't seen the interview but I'm guessing it's a direct answer to a question about this year's pre-season. All the WSL managers have been asked about the timetable and most of them have complained about last week's international break in particular.

Ubik

My lineup guess:

Earps
Blundell
George
Le Tissier
Turner
Zelem
Ladd
Parris
Toone
Galton
Geyse

Essentially the standard 11 last year with the gaps filled, doubt Skinner will be wanting to shake things up too much given the tough start.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Debuts for George and Geyse - look forward to see more new signings from the bench

Ubik

Pleasantly surprised at Garcia over Parris. Hopefully Malard isn't injured or anything.

top1whoisman

Scout
A good start in my opinion. Villa have a very good team and I kind of feared we’d be under heavy pressure from the first second.

cj_sparky

I know the reasons for it, but the shorts make this kit look like Liverpool of the late 80's.

top1whoisman

Scout
Good run from Geyse. George has slotted in nicely. Probably helps that she knows some of the players so well.

top1whoisman

Scout
The thing I love about this team that we look so drilled in terms of pressing. We do it so well as a unit. Whenever there’s a chance we overload the opponent with the ball and more often than not end up stealing the ball.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Good run from Geyse. George has slotted in nicely. Probably helps that she knows some of the players so well.
Geyse has a good pace. I think she is hoping for a more direct approach to take advantage of her pace in beating the villa defence..

top1whoisman

Scout
Brilliant piece of defending from García. Making most of her rare opportunity to start. Good competition for the RW spot, I like Parris too.

Eric_the_Red99

Quite promising so far. George and Geyse slotting in nicely. Defence looks solid and organised, and there’s surely loads of goals in that forward line of Toone/Galton/Garcia/Geyse once they get up to speed.

RedDevilQuebecois

I know that Garcia was offside, but that attempt on goal could have been a little more convincing.

That being said, referees need to blow the whistle ASAP if the offside is that obvious.

top1whoisman

Scout
A good half an hour from us. Daly & Hanson have barely seen the ball. Strong defending from the front, they’re struggling to find any space as we’re so compact.

Ubik

Yellow card for jumping for the ball...