WSL 23/24 | Chelsea v United - 12:30 Sun 21 Jan

Lightbringer

another close penalty we dont get at chelsea.....sighs... same story as always.

Lightbringer

so we could have a penalty and red card for chelsea at 75 minute with the score 2-1.....

croadyman

I hope INEOS (Ratcliffe, Brailsford, Blanc and co.) are watching this and will get the axe ready for him.
You beat me to it,they will not accept him finishing adrift of Chelsea,Arsenal & City. They also wouldn't have just let James and Russo walk out of the door too that's for certain.

Lightbringer

Worst is that the rest of the season is done pretty much, even a UCL spot is miles away...so boring.

Eric_the_Red99

Very frustrating. We should have got at least a draw after the second half performance. There was the penalty that could have been given and various other decisions that went against us, but we also missed some excellent chances when we were on top, and continually gave the ball away sloppily in attacking positions that could have led to chances. Chelsea ie Lauren James, were much more clinical.

Demon Barber

I thought we deserved something out of that second half, but my overriding emotions are anger and frustration. The officials were dreadfully biased throughout - Chelsea were seemingly allowed to foul with impunity. No Galton penalty? Awful decision. Toone gets studs down her Achilles? Okay, maybe it did not merit a booking, but Ladd does the same and is booked. Toone offside - ridiculous.

What angered me throughout though was Fara Williams and the most biased and ill-informed co-commentary I think I have heard. Every single foul by a Chelsea player was fine. Ladd's booking - there was "clear intent." Galton's penalty, there was "nothing in it", whereas Kirby (?) "had a case for a penalty" in injury time for a hand in the face. Truly shocking bias.

There were some stats recently that showed that, in the men's game, City and Liverpool committed the most fouls when they lost possession in order to break up play. Chelsea strike me as similar, except that free-kicks are rarely awarded. We, on the other hand, lack that ruthless, cynical edge. Skinner is too naive, too "nice." I doubt he will even raise the officiating post-match.

Okay, rant over. I thought Blundell was excellent. That's it

Last edited:

croadyman

Very frustrating. We should have got at least a draw after the second half performance. There was the penalty that could have been given and various other decisions that went against us, but we also missed some excellent chances when we were on top, and continually gave the ball away sloppily in attacking positions that could have led to chances. Chelsea ie Lauren James, were much more clinical.
Yeah didn't make that good spell at the start of second half count and paid for it in the end

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Worst is that the rest of the season is done pretty much, even a UCL spot is miles away...so boring.
Not at all - big game on Wednesday for a start, even winning the league cup would be a good season IMO

Still in the FA Cup too

Demon Barber

Not at all - big game on Wednesday for a start, even winning the league cup would be a good season IMO

Still in the FA Cup too
Agreed. We can pick ourselves up from this. Both cups are winnable.

Lightbringer

Still in the FA Cup too
I was referring to that the rest of the league games feels quite boring as we pretty have to win out to have a chance for UCL qualy spot. And with half the season remaining its no doubt a fiasco to pretty much have nothing to play for in the league. Even if we beat Arsenal and City its not certain it will be enough.

The cups are decent of course, but when we try to recruit new players our reputation will be built on our league position and UCL participation and not the domestic cup, especially the league cup which is a reserve tournament. Of course its cool that have them left to play for than anything at all!

At least we can use the league games to try out our new players that still have barely played us :-)

Last edited: