WSL 23/24 | United v Brighton - 12:00 Sun 4 Feb

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
The top three (Chelsea 31 points, City 28, Arsenal 28) continue to set a ferocious standard and all we can do now is chase. With 21 points, our final position is not solely in our hands. We need one of the big three to falter.

What is in our hands is how we play on Sunday. Brighton sit on 11 points and that's few enough that they could still get dragged into the relegation scrap. They sacked their manager this week - because "results and performance" did not live up to the expectations of the club after "heavy investment in the squad and infrastructure". Melissa Phillips kept them from relegation last season, when she became their third manager in the 22/23 season. Presumably they're hoping for a new manager bounce now.

Match is live in the UK and some other countries on the FA Player.

And yes, the scheduling (with the men kicking off at OT at 2pm against West Ham) is very annoying. It's irritating for TV watching fans but for matchgoing fans it's just plain stupid. Some of us have season tickets to both teams and even the ones who don't will mostly be scrambling to get to a screen to watch the men straight after this.

it would be nice to think that the "NewCo" WSL structure will take these scheduling issues more seriously.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
The scheduling is annoying as I'll be at the West Ham match so not really anyway to watch the Women beforehand

Lightbringer

The hype for this game seems to be lacking :devil: Skinner will be out to prove a point!

Demon Barber

Currently our strongest side, I feel. I'm looking forward to this. Comfortable win predicted.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Another lovely run from Geyse there and an expense low cross into the 6 yard box but Brighton clear it.

We've had most of the action and most of the chances. Toone having another frustrating afternoon in the penalty area. Only really seen a couple of chances for Brighton but Earps made one good stop and solid defending dealt with the other one.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
How is Thorisdottir doing?
Sorry.

I don't really notice individual opposition players (defenders in particular) unless they're having a particularly great/awful match. I can tell you she's not having an awful match :lol:

Brighton are defending well as a team and they're having to do a fair bit of defending, so that's kind of positive for her as well.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Cheers. Doesn't work over here.
It used to work but it depends on which match. It won't work in the UK or Ireland if it's on Sky (this one isn't) or anywhere in a country where WSL have sold the TV rights.

It used to work in Ireland for non-Sky matches - I don't know now.

It doesn't work on most Scandi countries. It depends if there's a local rights holder (if there is one the FA player generally geoblocks all the WSL matches to that country whether the match is broadcast or not). Clear as mud really.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
It "should" depends on which match. It won't work in the UK or Ireland if it's on Sky (this one isn't)

It used to work in Ireland for non-Sky matches - I don't know now.

It doesn't work on most Scandi countries. It depends if there's a local rights holder (if there is one the FA player generally geoblocks all the WSL matches to that country whether the match is broadcast or not). Clear as mud really.

Cheers. That works. It must have been a televised match I had issues with.

Eric_the_Red99

Parris surely deserves to be brought back into the England squad now. She’s one of the most in-form players in the country at the moment

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Parris surely deserves to be brought back into the England squad now. She’s one of the most in-form players in the country at the moment
It's funny, it's a very different Parris to the one I used to enjoy watching for England (before United had a team!). She's become a real threat in the penalty area.

How she'd fit into the typical England formation I'm not sure. It'll be interesting to see if Wiegman does call her up.

Demon Barber

A good win. We were never really troubled. Geyse was unplayable, and I like Parris in that central role.

Edit: Arsenal losing 2-1 at West Ham with 15 to go.

Last edited:

FlexoRodriguez

Agree, it was comfortable. I think 4-0 wouldn’t have flattered, Earps made two stops but didn’t really need to do much else. Defence looked switched on bar one Le Tissier error, Blundell did well switching to rb.
Really happy to see Geyse putting crosses in instead of trying to score at the near post every time she got into that position!
Her and Parris were genuinely delighted for each other I reckon for the second goal, they looked as if they were communicating well.