WSL 23/24 | United v Everton - 12:00 on Sun 31 March

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
So far this season we've beaten Everton 5-0 away (WSL) and 7-0 (WSL Cup). They've lost their last four matches and are sitting tenth in the League. It's fair to say that we're favourites for this one :smirk:

Arsenal play Chelsea this weekend in the WSL Cup final so there aren't many other matches on. Liverpool (currently in fourth place) are home to City on Saturday.

The match will be live and free to view in most countries on FAPlayer.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

Mannion comes into the team. Who goes wide - Mannion or MLT - is a wait and see I guess. The rest of the team looks very familiar.

Hinata is on the bench which is good news. Leah Galton is there as well, so she's obviously over the thigh strain now.

Scanny

Early goal for Everton.
United sluggish in possession at times and wasteful up front.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
It was an awful underhit back pass from MLT that gave Everton a goal, but that whole slow passing game we pay across the edge of our own box almost invites individual errors.

Incidentally Maya is playing centre back alongside Turner as usual, Mannion has come in at right back.

Scanny

It was an awful underhit back pass from MLT that gave Everton a goal, but that whole slow passing game we pay across the edge of our own box almost invites individual errors.

Incidentally Maya is playing centre back alongside Turner as usual, Mannion had come in at right back.
We’ve been terrible playing out from the back all season and yet Skinner persists.

Eric_the_Red99

There always seems to be a small but very noticeable lag between sound and picture on FA Player. It gets annoying after a while.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Anybody seem to think there is a malais running through the whole club. As though both the men's team and women's team are just going through the motions.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Anybody seem to think there is a malais running through the whole club. As though both the men's team and women's team are just going through the motions.
I think it's kind of understandable. The takeover dragged on and on and it feels like the whole club has been spinning its wheels. More or less everything feels like it's on hold until the end of the season.

In the case of the women's team there's a good chance it'll remain on hold even longer. Except in this instance on hold probably means renewing Skinner's contract and a lucky dip on terms of players coming and going.

The only thing on the agenda for the women is the FACup. I'd like to think we can raise our game against Chelsea, but once you get stuck in first gear it's hard to switch it up - even for a special occasion.

Eric_the_Red99

Excellent play from Naalsund to set up Toone for the third. Naalsund is probably our most important player at the moment. She’s one of the few true athletes in our squad, such a powerful runner.

Eric_the_Red99

I genuinely think they should just formalise the mid-half drinks break in women’s football. I’m all for anything that helps reduce injuries - a major problem in the women’s game - but it’s farcical seeing goalkeepers going down ‘injured’ on 70 minutes in every game.

Scanny

I genuinely think they should just formalise the mid-half drinks break in women’s football. I’m all for anything that helps reduce injuries - a major problem in the women’s game - but it’s farcical seeing goalkeepers going down ‘injured’ on 70 minutes in every game.
Agreed. Just makes the game look silly.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
It's become a running joke in WSL and it always looks dafts. Even the referees laugh.

Demon Barber

Well, ultimately that looks like a decent result. Who knew that upping the tempo in the second half would produce goals?

I have watched us all season begin games in such a ponderous and plodding way. It is frustrating ... I should be celebrating a 4-1 victory but I am moaning. Okay, think positive ...

Zelem was really good, as was Naalsund and Toone. Garcia and Geyse were energetic as always. Galton got her goal and Miyazawa got her 8 minutes!

StretfordEnd78

First goal caused the jitters right through the team. Half time reset worked and a thoroughly enjoyable second half. Well done reds.