WSL 23/24 | United v Leicester - Sun 15 Oct at 12:00

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
After our first ever Women's Champions League match it's back to the serious business of trying to beat the WSL leaders. Yep - Leicester City are top of the WSL table with wins against Everton and Bristol.

That's very different to last season where they started with 9 consecutive defeats and spent 16 matches in bottom place before scrambling clear of relegation in the final weeks of the season.

Familiar faces:
Willy Kirk is manager and Aimee Palmer is in their midfield.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Will be tough balancing the need to keep things fresh for a massive game next week, integrate people into the team and have a cohesive side. Skinner will know the players much better than I do and it's a game we have to win, but I'd risk quite a few changes to give us the best possible chance against PSG, and trust the bench to make an impact if things aren't going to plan.

Grande

Will be tough balancing the need to keep things fresh for a massive game next week, integrate people into the team and have a cohesive side. Skinner will know the players much better than I do and it's a game we have to win, but I'd risk quite a few changes to give us the best possible chance against PSG, and trust the bench to make an impact if things aren't going to plan.
Will be important how Geyse and Mallard have responded to the playing time against PSG. Hope to see more of Miyazawa as well.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Major rotation required to have any chance in Paris

could potentially start any of Riviere (Blundell), Parris (Garcia), Miyazawa (Toone), Guerrero (Zelem) - Geyse or Malard if fit enough to rest Galton too

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
One thing that might help us and our rotation plans - Leicester play Liverpool in the WSL Cup group stage tonight. I don't know how they'll prioritise things of course, but I'm pretty sure they won't want to get hammered in either match.

Incidentally if we don't get into the WCL group stage, we'll be joining Leicester's WSL Cup group.

If the intention is for Zelem and Galton to start on Wednesday against PSG, I would like to see them on the bench on Sunday. Perhaps we'll see Ladd back in action, maybe Parris as well. In terms of the new players, so much depends on fitness and recovery - I'm eager to see more of them but if it's a choice between them playing this game and recovering well enough to play on Wednesday, I'd choose having them fresh and available for PSG.

Demon Barber

Earps

Riviere
Le Tissier
Turner
George

Guerrero
Ladd
Miyazawa

Parris
Malard
Garcia

I think that would be strong enough to beat Leicester, with plenty of reinforcements on the bench. Six or so players rested for PSG.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Earps

Riviere
Le Tissier
Turner
George

Guerrero
Ladd
Miyazawa

Parris
Malard
Garcia

I think that would be strong enough to beat Leicester, with plenty of reinforcements on the bench. Six or so players rested for PSG.
Ye I was thinking something like this - who are our back up CBs now?

StretfordEnd78

A few WSL teams will pose a bigger threat this time.
I'd be tempted to try and get 2 goals ahead and begin substituting early.
A positive result and performance can be taken into the CL game.

voyasvirta

I want us to rotate wholesale but I don't think Skinner will do that. So I'm hoping players who have played nearly all the minutes thus far will be rested. Galton, Tooney, Blundell, Zelem. We have options to replace in all of these positions (compared to LB/CB where we don't have much depth) so I hope we do it. Looking at something like this- Earps/ Riviere MLT Turner George/ Ladd Irene Miyazawa/ Geyse Malard Parris

Reactions: Rood

Demon Barber

I want us to rotate wholesale but I don't think Skinner will do that. So I'm hoping players who have played nearly all the minutes thus far will be rested. Galton, Tooney, Blundell, Zelem. We have options to replace in all of these positions (compared to LB/CB where we don't have much depth) so I hope we do it. Looking at something like this- Earps/ Riviere MLT Turner George/ Ladd Irene Miyazawa/ Geyse Malard Parris
So basically, with the exception of Geyse, the team I picked earlier in the thread ;) (On a side note, I would also like to see Geyse start, but there is mention of her not yet being 100% - hence my choice of Garcia, who seems to be able to run all day)

I agree with you though - Skinner dislikes change and, as a manager, the next game is always the most important. Leicester are currently top of the WSL and we have to beat them. His team selection will be interesting.

Lightbringer

Feck the league game and focus everything on the UCL game! Its more important to beat PSG than whether we win, tie or lose vs Leicester!

Demon Barber

Feck the league game and focus everything on the UCL game! Its more important to beat PSG than whether we win, tie or lose vs Leicester!
I totally disagree with you here. In my view, winning the WSL is more important than progressing a bit further in the CL.

Lightbringer

I totally disagree with you here. In my view, winning the WSL is more important than progressing a bit further in the CL.
First, my line of thinking is resting most of our 1st lineup players in ONE game against Leicester makes tie or lose the game, then I can live with that.

The champions league is the big stage, entering that competition will do more PR job and help us grow as a club than perhaps getting 1 to 3 points more in the table does. Also it will make Uniteds womens team more recognized among players when we travel around europe and also when teams come to play us of course.

Now if a draw against Leicester would guaranteed make us lost the the title by 1 point, then maybe I would agree to this, but thats far from certain. At where we are as a club now I think further growth as a club is more important than winning the title. My belief is that the club will grow more from making the UCL than winning the league.

But my main point is, the league we have games to recover a lost point, with the UCL we are permanently out. Also dont forget we should aim to win the UCL as well ;) I would say we have as good chance to win the UCL via knock out games as beating out Chelsea to the WSL title over a whole season at this point.

And what about the money we make from the group stages? Thats pretty massive as well, not even considering the attendance you can get when playing Barcelona or Real Madrid for example.

And besides that, what guarantees that a fatigued lineup with "the best players" is a better lineup than fresh player out to prove themselves? Zelem, Toone, Galton definitely needs a rest, I would not play Turner and Maya every game of the season either.

Obviously there are several ways to look at this, and the opinion is clearly divided!

At least we will have a goaltender switch and see our new keeper!

Last edited:

madi5h

First, my line of thinking is resting most of our 1st lineup players in ONE game against Leicester makes tie or lose the game, then I can live with that.

The champions league is the big stage, entering that competition will do more PR job and help us grow as a club than perhaps getting 1 to 3 points more in the table does. Also it will make Uniteds womens team more recognized among players when we travel around europe and also when teams come to play us of course.

Now if a draw against Leicester would guaranteed make us lost the the title by 1 point, then maybe I would agree to this, but thats far from certain. At where we are as a club now I think further growth as a club is more important than winning the title. My belief is that the club will grow more from making the UCL than winning the league.

But my main point is, the league we have games to recover a lost point, with the UCL we are permanently out. Also dont forget we should aim to win the UCL as well ;) I would say we have as good chance to win the UCL via knock out games as beating out Chelsea to the WSL title over a whole season at this point.

And what about the money we make from the group stages? Thats pretty massive as well, not even considering the attendance you can get when playing Barcelona or Real Madrid for example.

And besides that, what guarantees that a fatigued lineup with "the best players" is a better lineup than fresh player out to prove themselves? Zelem, Toone, Galton definitely needs a rest, I would not play Turner and Maya every game of the season either.

Obviously there are several ways to look at this, and the opinion is clearly divided!

At least we will have a goaltender switch and see our new keeper!
well said and i agree with you, and also i would add that its not even really a choice either or, there IS a RIGHT way, fatigue NEEDS to be managed it isnt just a here and now problem, fatigue steamrolls and mismanagement of it this early could become a season long problem, although i know the womens team play a lot fewer games than a mens team so easy to think this should be less of an issue, the recent stats about womens injurys show us that comparison is silly and we definitely dont want to end up like arsenal last season

Reactions: Rood

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Any dropped points on the league could be the difference between Champions League next season or not.
City and Chelsea will be at the top and barely dropping points, Villa and Arsenal will be fighting for top three as well.

Paris have played the same amount of games in October as United, so not sure why we need to rest this early in the season.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Any dropped points on the league could be the difference between Champions League next season or not.
City and Chelsea will be at the top and barely dropping points, Villa and Arsenal will be fighting for top three as well.

Paris have played the same amount of games in October as United, so not sure why we need to rest this early in the season.
PSG rested most of their starters in the weekend before their match with us - they are already rotating their players in some matches.

Watching the team play, you can see the problems too. At the end of the match some of our players looked ok (like MLT) others looked tired, mentally and physically (like Zelem and Galton) and were slower and more error prone.

I agree with you on the more general issue though - the top clubs in WSL won't drop many points. Dropping points on Sunday, which will definitely matter for the whole season V a gamble that we can beat PSG away and that the exposure that comes with playing in the WCL group stage is a recruitment tool next season? Not a good enough trade-off for me.

I want these points. That said, I also think we can afford some rotation - that's assuming players like Hayley Ladd are fully fit of course.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
PSG rested most of their starters in the weekend before their match with us - they are already rotating their players in some matches.

Watching the team play, you can see the problems too. At the end of the match some of our players looked ok (like MLT) others looked tired, mentally and physically (like Zelem and Galton) and were slower and more error prone.

I agree with you on the more general issue though - the top clubs in WSL won't drop many points. Dropping points on Sunday, which will definitely matter for the whole season V a gamble that we can beat PSG away and that the exposure that comes with playing in the WCL group stage is a recruitment tool next season? Not a good enough trade-off for me.

I want these points. That said, I also think we can afford some rotation - that's assuming players like Hayley Ladd are fully fit of course.
I would prefer Skinner to start strong and use the subs wisely during the second half, hopefully when United are a few goals to the good.
There's an international break coming up isn't there? Maybe a few of the players might get 'niggling injuries' before hand :lol:

Lightbringer

Fecksake Skinner, why Zelem, Turner, Blundell, Maya and George? Do you have ZERO faith in your other defenders on the bench?

I guess Guerrero still practicing and learning how to defend in english football?

Ubik

Even I'm not mad enough to rest Le Tissier and Turner. Toone and Galton was the minimum so we got that at least, hopefully there's nothing bad with Geyse.

Lightbringer

I'm not sure we can rotate that many in one hit. Hopefully Blundell and Zelem can come off early.
Well, if we cant actually rotate 1 defender, when will the other defenders ever play? Also Garcia also needs rest, but just think its weird the back 4 can just play endlessly.

I guess our new keeper wont see any action either and she is supposed to be top class. How do we even test her out if Earps leave? What if Earps gets injured today and misses PSG? Today would have been ideal for a GK rotation.

Last edited:

voyasvirta

That whole back 4 will have played 4 games in 11 days when we play Paris this midweek. Surely, we could afford to rotate at least 1-2 of them.

Ubik

You'd think we could start Riviere on the right and then give 45 minutes to Blundell and George on the left, but it seems Skinner really isn't a fan of her. Some more "defensive attributes" to learn, maybe.

Demon Barber

I'm happy with that team selection. Keeping the defence constant is important, in my opinion, along with Zelem. Ladd is fresh, so was an obvious starter. Three of the four attacking players are also fresh, and as I said before, Garcia can run all day.

Toone, Galton and Geyse (hopefully not injured) get a rest before PSG.

3 - 0 United. (Garcia, Malard, Williams)

Edit: Didn't Leicester play Liverpool in the FA Cup midweek? Not sure if they rested players for that.

Last edited:

Lightbringer

well said and i agree with you, and also i would add that its not even really a choice either or, there IS a RIGHT way, fatigue NEEDS to be managed it isnt just a here and now problem, fatigue steamrolls and mismanagement of it this early could become a season long problem, although i know the womens team play a lot fewer games than a mens team so easy to think this should be less of an issue, the recent stats about womens injurys show us that comparison is silly and we definitely dont want to end up like arsenal last season
Did not take long, Gabby George :(

Ubik

Gah literally can't get any closer than that from Hinata.

Lightbringer

Leicester keeper Leitzig is making it look really easy, she is class! Its going to take a top not strike to get one past her from distance.

We deserve to lead the game, but it has this feeling of "one of those games" a bit....hope I am wrong!

ForeverRed1

Really enjoying this game. Hinata coming into it nicely towards the end of the half, she possesses some real quality. Malard looks good. Would love to keep hold of her. Hopefully we can see some subs second half. one eye on PSG.

Ubik

Zelem's gonna play the whole game again isn't she :nervous:

Lightbringer

Absolute shite, they score from a set piece from nothing. Oh well, like I said: "one of these days". Shit defending and shit goalkeeping!

ForeverRed1

Just not happening for us today, 18 shots compared to their 4. Possession double there’s, just not our day.

These are the games you have to win if your going to win the league, unfortunately

Ubik

Should've been 3 up after the first half, but the second half was pretty abysmal, and seemed to get even worse when the subs came on. Terrible game and result all round, probably playing Evans at full back against PSG as well. Skinner's inability to consider playing a minute without Zelem on the pitch is getting pretty problematic at this point. The lesson he'll probably learn is to rotate less.

Lightbringer

Skinner has done it gain.

He has stood and watched Parris limp around just by his sideline for 20-30 minutes without making a sub. Spanish national team player Guerrero sitting on the bench.

Proper idiotic management. We have would beat Arsenal had he subbed Galton in the exact same circumstances with 20-30 minutes left.

How can he stand so close to a player who has ZERO legs and just ignore it?

Further, how can we fail to get a single cross in towards Rachel? I mean, if we cant tiki-taka, then lets just play long balls. There was no alternative plan today at all.

Ubik

Skinner has done it gain.

He has stood and watched Parris limp around just by his sideline for 20-30 minutes without making a sub. Guerrero sitting on the bench.

Proper idiotic management. We have would beat Arsenal had he subbed Galton in the exact same circumstances.
We'd run out of subs by that point.