WSL 23/24 | United v Spurs - 12:00 Sun 22 Apr

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Inevitably, fresh from our Cup SF we get to have a rehearsal match for the Cup final against Spurs.

Our record against them is a different kind of pressure to the one we felt against Chelsea:
United W8 D1 L0

Match is on FAPlayer in most countries.

StretfordEnd78

Grace Clinton unavailable for spurs.
Decent strikers so always a goal threat.
Hoping for 3-1 something like that.

FlexoRodriguez

I’m hoping that after the tactical change to face Chelsea, Skinner might try something slightly different against spurs today too. I can’t decide who I’d like to see starting up front either - Williams as she put in a amazing shift against Chelsea, Paris for her form this season or Geyse to cheer her up a bit. At least we have options!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I’m hoping that after the tactical change to face Chelsea, Skinner might try something slightly different against spurs today too. I can’t decide who I’d like to see starting up front either - Williams as she put in a amazing shift against Chelsea, Paris for her form this season or Geyse to cheer her up a bit. At least we have options!
I would like to see Malard and Geyse get a serious run-out together rather than one at a time. I'm not much fussed whether that means them starting together or coming on (not in the 89th minute) together though.

It was good seeing Galton back in action last week. I guess we may be in a "managing her minutes" stage but it would be great to have a match sharp Galton in the final. Midfield is the mystery though - so many midfielders, so little rotation, so few matches left to give them the chance to shake the rust off and very little chance to integrate them into the team.

I admit most of my thoughts have already flipped to the final and how we need to prepare for that. But we should also have one eye on next season and who we need to try to keep over the summer.

FlexoRodriguez

I would like to see Malard and Geyse get a serious run-out together rather than one at a time. I'm not much fussed whether that means them starting together or coming on (not in the 89th minute) together though.

It was good seeing Galton back in action last week. I guess we may be in a "managing her minutes" stage but it would be great to have a match sharp Galton in the final. Midfield is the mystery though - so many midfielders, so little rotation, so few matches left to give them the chance to shake the rust off and very little chance to integrate them into the team.

I admit most of my thoughts have already flipped to the final and how we need to prepare for that. But we should also have one eye on next season and who we need to try to keep over the summer.
Yeah, lack of rotation is a bit of a mystery, especially considering the injury threat. Although I might need to shift my mindset from seeing the men play 45-50 games a season (depending on cup/Europe) which allows for longer runs and rests, and the women who play, what, 35 max? Which leaves less time to get rested/match sharp/ feeling like they have had a run in the team. Options are good I theory, but you are right - you need to use them and see what they are like for them to be of any real value!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Yeah, lack of rotation is a bit of a mystery, especially considering the injury threat. Although I might need to shift my mindset from seeing the men play 45-50 games a season (depending on cup/Europe) which allows for longer runs and rests, and the women who play, what, 35 max? Which leaves less time to get rested/match sharp/ feeling like they have had a run in the team. Options are good I theory, but you are right - you need to use them and see what they are like for them to be of any real value!
We've got today's match then Leicester and Liverpool before the final, a week between each game, which is good. Spurs have this match then Brighton and Everton - it'll be interesting to see if they play those games mostly without Clinton to get used to it.

Incidentally, today is our last match at LSV this season so I'm hoping it'll be a good one. I admit I'm not expecting a big crowd as there may be another match later in the day that people are thinking about...

The final home game of the season comes a week after the Cup Final - us against Chelsea at OT. It would be nice to have a trophy to show off before that match :lol:

Lightbringer

Any news on Geyse gate? I saw it was rumored she stormed out of the the meeting where Skinner announced she would not be starting against Chelsea in the FA-cup! And she is on the bench today again.

Last edited:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Any news on Geyse gate? I saw it was rumored she stormed out of the meeting where Skinner announced she would not be starting against Chelsea in the FA-cup! And she is on the bench today again!
I'm taking the fact that she's named as a sub as a good sign. If she wasn't listed I'd be more worried.

As I said earlier on though, I would like to see Geyse and Malard play together - it's a combination that would change our formation which in itself could be an advantage on some games. Malard starting and Geyse a sub sounds more like a setup for Malard gets subbed and Garcia, Williams or maybe Geyse comes on. I guess we'll soon see.

Lightbringer

I'm taking the fact that she's named as a sub as a good sign. If she wasn't listed I'd be more worried.

As I said earlier on though, I would like to see Geyse and Malard play together - it's a combination that would change our formation which in itself could be an advantage on some games. Malard starting and Geyse a sub sounds more like a setup for Malard gets subbed and Parris, Williams or maybe Geyse comes on. I guess we'll soon see.
Geyse would be a huge weapon on wembley so hopefully they have managed to overcome whatever issues what might have been going on, it should be possible to turn the page but probably easier if Geyse was shown the trust to start today but Skinner is the boss and has to show that :-)

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Geyse would be a huge weapon on wembley so hopefully they have managed to overcome whatever issues what might have been going, it should be possible to turn the page but probably easier if Geyse was shown the trust to start today but Skinner is boss :-)
Correct decision not to start her IMO - Parris and Malard were also subs for the semi, came on did their bit and celebrated with their team

They are now rewarded with starts today

I expect Geyse will get some minutes and then it's up to her to prove she deserves more

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Just turned it on and we scored, I'm taking the credit for that.

Scanny

So good to see Galton in the right position. Never did like her being played at full back.

Ubik

Really sloppy defensively so far.

Ubik

Give a really cheap corner away, then decline to mark anyone from the corner. Bold strategy.

Scanny

That second is on Earps indecision. She could easily have come for that ball. It’s a weakness in her game.

Ubik

That second is on Earps indecision. She could easily have come for that ball. It’s a weakness in her game.
Mannion and Le Tissier also don't need to stop playing before she's come for it, though.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Scruffy game, despite the enthusiasm of the commentator who'd like to see more of the same at Wembley. United sloppy defending got exactly the response it deserved, even though it took Spurs a while to take advantage.

Scanny

Mannion and Le Tissier also don't need to stop playing before she's come for it, though.
I think they thought she was coming for it. She made the move to and then retreated. Not excusing the entire defence though. That was poor.

Eric_the_Red99

Well we’re definitely not winning the cup playing like this. Spurs don’t even have their best player, who would probably be our best player if she wasn’t on loan.

Ubik

Conceded 12 in total in the league last season, this season 25 after 18 and a half games. Not surprising given what we've seen that half.

Scanny

They need to be read the riot act at half time for that sloppy first half.

Ubik

Blundell on for Mannion at half-time.

Eric_the_Red99

We could do with Garcia’s energy and urgency here. Like so often this season, we look so casual and lackadaisical sometimes. I’d maybe put it down to that battle against Chelsea but we’ve played like this all season.