WSL 23/24 | United v Villa - 12:00 on Sun 28 Jan

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
As far as most of us are concerned - Villa owe us one. Though Villa may not feel quite the same. By bringing on an ineligible player when they were 3-0 against Sunderland in their WSL Cup match, they may have knocked United and themselves out of the Cup - all TBC of course...

Meanwhile, back at the League. United are in fourth place (level on 18 points with Spurs and Liverpool) ten points behind Chelsea and seven points behind Arsenal and City.

Villa after a horrible start to the season have recovered to sit mid-table with 12 points. Not a team to be underestimated though - their attacking lineup in particular can do real damage and we need to remember how to win after a poor run.

Demon Barber

As far as most of us are concerned - Villa owe us one. Though Villa may not feel quite the same. By bringing on an ineligible player when they were 3-0 against Sunderland in their WSL Cup match, they may have knocked United and themselves out of the Cup - all TBC of course...

Meanwhile, back at the League. United are in fourth place (level on 18 points with Spurs and Liverpool) ten points behind Chelsea and seven points behind Arsenal and City.

Villa after a horrible start to the season have recovered to sit mid-table with 12 points. Not a team to be underestimated though - their attacking lineup in particular can do real damage and we need to remember how to win after a poor run.
Things have not gone well this season in the WSL and you are right - we do need to remember how to win. Even our victories this year have, in general, not been terribly convincing.

It's a big ask to catch up on those above us, especially as we have both City and Arsenal away. I just hope that we can go on a long winning run so that the Chelsea game at OT last match of the season is not a terrible anti-climax.

Eric_the_Red99

This habit in the women's game of the goalkeeper going down 'injured' halfway through the half - ie an unofficial timeout - is getting silly now. If it's happening in every match, why not just make it official to avoid the ridiculous pantomime of the keeper feigning injury. The number of ACL injuries in the women's game suggests that there is a need to do something in terms of protecting players' health and fitness.

United doing just about enough so far. Toone missed a fairly easy chance to make it 2. I'm starting to really like Riviere at right fullback.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Yes, we still have that jaded look that's cost us three defeats in the last four matches. It's not that we're playing badly, we're just not playing well.

2-0 up though and breaking that losing streak is what really matters today.
Absolutely, it's about getting back on that confidence roll. And with Villa being better of late, this could have been a bit of a slippery one but we look controlled at least.

Grande

Absolutely, it's about getting back on that confidence roll. And with Villa being better of late, this could have been a bit of a slippery one but we look controlled at least.
12-1 shots in the first half looks like we’ve played very well tbh. Annoying that we get a cheap pen against after only a few rel Villa attacks

Demon Barber

A win is a win. We deserved that, but there is something nervy about our game at the moment.

Geyse is a tremendous talent. She beats players for fun but fails to pick out a United player time after time. Garcia, I thought, was excellent again, as was Blundell. Toone largely anonymous. Thank goodness Parris is on form.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
We were the better team, especially in the first half, but it was nervy in the second. We should still be doing better in front of goal. Riviere has really come on since she’s been getting regular starts. I think she’s been one of our best players in the last couple of months. Nearly got Lehmann sent off in the first half and forced Villa to make that change at half time (though I have no idea why Hanson didn’t start anyway)

@Demon Barber I agree on Geyse. She makes the difficult stuff look easy, then makes the easy pass look difficult! It’s so frustrating, but with time hopefully she’ll sort it out. Still think she’s an absolute gem of a player.

Also, another day in the WSL, another tragic refereeing performance. Just seen the replay for the penalty and it’s a pathetic dive from Daly, and even more pathetic that the ref bought it. Thought they were lucky as well to not have a player sent off.

Demon Barber

@Marstro14 I agree that Riviere has played really well. I just forgot to mention her.

The refereeing has been poor recently. I do not buy into the conspiracy stuff but decisions seem to go disproportionately against United. The City game was a joke, especially the Galton penalty decision, whereas today Daly totally conned the ref.

Edit: oops @ Maestro14

Last edited: