WSL Cup 21/22 | Everton v United - 7pm on Wed 15 Dec - live on MUTV

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
We were in line to qualify as top of our group after beating City, but losing on penalties to Leicester meant we just got the 1 point for drawing at 90 minutes. As things stand City lead on GD over United and Everton - all three teams have 6 points having played 3 games. City v Leicester was scheduled for tonight but has been postponed due to covid cases in the City team. However if we beat Everton tonight we should go through either as group winner or best runner-up.

Confused? Beating Everton would be a good thing :D

Match is live on MUTV this evening - at least it is in the UK, I assume that's true elsewhere.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
The starting line up for tonight. More rotation means Fuso, Smith and Thomas get a chance.

Do we have to beat Everton in 90 minutes, or will a penalty win be enough?

EDIT: I think we have to win in 90. A penalty win puts us on 8 points (2 points per game) with only a +1 GD. There's a few from the 4-team groups which could finish on 6 points and have a better GD.

Last edited:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
The starting line up for tonight. More rotation means Fuso, Smith and Thomas get a chance.

I think Everton may go through in that situation as best runners up (assuming City end up topping the group). But someone else might pip us (or them) to the best runners up slot if it's a draw. A straight win works for us though!

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
I think Everton goes through in that situation ad best runners up (assuming City end up topping the group)
If we beat them in penalties, we'll have more points than Everton but I don't think we're likely to be the best runners up in that case.

Grande

EDIT: I think we have to win in 90. A penalty win puts us on 8 points (2 points per game) with only a +1 GD. There's a few from the 4-team groups which could finish on 6 points and have a better GD.
That’s a very attacking line-up! Zelem and five fairly attacking players in the fron six? Who playes midfield and what formation?

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
That’s a very attacking line-up! Zelem and five fairly attacking players in the fron six? Who playes midfield and what formation?
At the moment it looks like a 4-2-3-1 with Zelem and Toone at the base of midfield and Fuso in the number 10 role.

Grande

1-0 United! A weird choice of free kick from Zelem but it works out!
Yes! Zelem the free kick queen!
At the moment it looks like a 4-2-3-1 with Zelem and Toone at the base of midfield and Fuso in the number 10 role.
Better score some then! Zelem and Toone as CM lock seems like forward thinking. Any idea if ‘The Toffeewomen’ also rotate a bit tonight?

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Thomas has been really impressive so far.
Yes! Zelem the free kick queen!

Better score some then! Zelem and Toone as CM lock seems like forward thinking. Any idea if ‘The Toffeewomen’ also rotate a bit tonight?
I think they're similar to United; a few changes but still quite strong.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Russo in for Thomas at the start of the 2nd half. Hanson skimmed the crossbar with a shot from distance about 20 seconds into the half.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Not much happening in the second half so far. Everton had their best spell early in the second half, but since then United have controlled the game and slowed the tempo down.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Not much happening in the second half so far. Everton had their best spell early in the second half, but since then United have controlled the game and slowed the tempo down.
Lots of subs haven't helped. We've lost a lot of our attacking intent. I'm just hoping Everton don't score a freak goal. I really don't want to watch us clinging on in the last few minutes.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Must be all but finished by now?
Yep. Full time and it stayed 2-0. Overall a strong performance. Dominant in the first half, and well worth the two goal lead. Everton looked better at the start of the second half but rarely created any chances in the match.

Lightbringer

Are we 100% through to the quarters now? And how is the quarters arrainged? Is it seeding or lottery among all teams?

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Are we 100% through to the quarters now? And how is the quarters arrainged? Is it seeding or lottery among all teams?
Yeah, we're definitely through. Even if City win against Leicester, no other 2nd placed team can match our points per game.

And no idea how the draw will happen. My guess is United get drawn against City and the rest is completely random.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
:lol:

Who played best for us?
I don't think there was one stand out player, as everyone generally played well. Thomas was impressive in the 45 minutes she had. Zelem controlled the midfield, and was involved in both goals. Batlle was excellent as usual. Galton, who I don't think has had a good season so far, looked better tonight. We were quite aggressive with our team pressing especially in the first half and Everton didn't have an answer for it. The only slight disappointment was Fuso wasn't really involved much.

Grande

I don't think there was one stand out player, as everyone generally played well. Thomas was impressive in the 45 minutes she had. Zelem controlled the midfield, and was involved in both goals. Batlle was excellent as usual. Galton, who I don't think has had a good season so far, looked better tonight. We were quite aggressive with our team pressing especially in the first half and Everton didn't have an answer for it. The only slight disappointment was Fuso wasn't really involved much.
It would be great if Leag Galton found back to her best form from last season. Had the impression Casey Stoney was immensely important for her way to her best.