WSL Cup 21/22 | United v Leicester - Sun 5 Dec at 12 noon

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

Not currently listed on FAPlayer so may not be on TV live. We won 3-1 in our league match away to Leicester earlier in the season and their form hasn't improved much since.

Our win against City in the WSLCup means qualification is in our own hands. A win against Leicester will put us top of the group with only one game to play (that's away to Everton on the 15th).

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Not going to be a great turnout at Leigh today. A combination of it being the least famous cup, low publicity even from United to it's women's season ticket holders (who have to buy an extra ticket if they want to go today) and the men playing at home. Cold day as well, but at least it's not raining!

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
I'm on the way to OT, so can't follow this game (not sure how you can follow this anyway). At least the supporter's twitter account is posting updates.

Lightbringer

We need to win on penalties at least to keep command of the group right? If we lose on penalties city will be on top on goal differential!

Lightbringer

So thats it. eliminated from the Conti cup as well in courtesy of worst team in the league bottom feeder Leicester after Zelem misses a golden penalty chance, just unreal bad. Baggaley has saved 1 of her last 12 penalties, she looks very small in net, so it was not a suprise. We were very lucky to win the Durham shootout with her in net.

Of course all ex-United players scored for Leicester shootout.

This was pretty shocking tbh, it was our only remaining title chance and we´ve bottled it against Durham and Leceister.

I am sure Blackstenius will be massively impressed by out shambles of a roster and coach, will not be an easy sell to recruit players to this mess.

I apologize for the negativity, but this was terrible.

Last edited:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
The team looked slow and unimaginative again. Neither secure in defence nor sharp going forward. Too many obvious passes, too many times when it just got punted at Russo presumably looking for magic when she's actually surrounded by three defenders. Leah Galton is a shadow of the player we saw under Casey Stoney.

I've no idea why we persist with taking short corners, the ball almost invariably just keeps heading backwards when we do, and by the time we do put it forward either our tall players who'd been sent up have retreated again or the opposition have pushed the offside line up. Presumably we do better with them when we try them out during training.

We were moving a bit faster in the second half but there's something missing. I don't know if it's just exposing the weaknesses in the squad - though personally I would label Batlle for example as an upgrade and Russo a terrific player if you can give her a ball she can use.

That said, Marc Skinner says he knows he's changing our playing style in anticipation of upgrading it for the next level, by which I assume he means ready for the Champions League rather than a quiet life in midtable. Ok, maybe it's just nostalgia, but I miss Stoney and I think players like Galton do as well. I'm also hoping we've got the training ground etc sorted out for them now, because I hate to think that the basics are still lagging behind our opponents as well.