WSL Cup: United Women v Durham | Wed 5 Dec | United win 1-0

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Obviously I'm really annoyed about this game. It's a big game for us and I'll be at Old Trafford watching us play Arsenal instead.

It's been a while but it's WSLCup time again. For once, we know our opponents and we know we'll find them difficult. As it happens, we'll play them again on Sunday up in Durham in the League.

Durham held us to a goalless draw in the League - they looked physical, defensively disciplined and well organised. They beat Spurs 1-6 on Sunday. In the Cup, they've already beaten Everton and they drew with Liverpool. They are not an easy team to beat and realistically we need to win to have a chance of going through.

We play everyone in the group once and the top 2 go through. Our final match in the group is away to Everton. If a match is drawn after 90 minutes, the game goes to penalties - 1 point for the losers of the shootout, 2 for the winners.

Last edited:

Drawfull

I was hoping to stream this and watch the men's team live, but since this doesn't seem to be on MUTV, who has the broadcast rights for the cup? Durham have said they'll be updating via Twitter.

I think we will win tonight - when we played them earlier in the year, the squad had only been together for two minutes (it was our sixth match, 4th in the league). As you said in the OP, we pretty much need to win so that progression will be in our hands. Everton have been gash recently, too so it feels we have a good chance.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
BT aired our match with Liverpool, but I think that was only because it was our first game and it was a big one. BT have full schedules this midweek, with the full PL program, and next with the European matches.

At best we might get highlights from MUTV later.

Even score updates might be tricky. I'll be at OT, and I admit I'm already wondering if they'll bother to put the women's FT score up on the scoreboards at the Arsenal match HT. The main official twitter feeds:
https://mobile.twitter.com/ManUtdWomen
https://mobile.twitter.com/DurhamWFC
https://mobile.twitter.com/lsvstadium
I don't know which of the fan accounts will be updating, given the schedule clash.

Andersons Dietician

I’m in no doubt which game I’d rather be watching and it’s the one that doesn’t have any coverage anywhere. I wonder what the crowd attendance will be like tonight. I’m working anyway so I would miss both but still.

buchansleftleg

Well I chose to come to the game rather than watch that shitshow in action (jose)

Durham arrived late so kick off may be delayed. Finally small crowd but watching a team do lots of efficient pre game drills and getting on together is a reward in itself.

I don't know what to think about the other game tonight!

Drawfull

Well I chose to come to the game rather than watch that shitshow in action (jose)

Durham arrived late so kick off may be delayed. Finally small crowd but watching a team do lots of efficient pre game drills and getting on together is a reward in itself.

I don't know what to think about the other game tonight!
Keep things updated if you can!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Thanks for the updates. It's great that you went to the match, that early goal was great news as we knew from last time - tough team to break down, and a team that we seem to have a lot of bad luck, hit the woodworks against. I hope we don't get many more of these schedule clashes though - really annoying.

At any rate, a win against Everton and we qualify for the knockout phase which would be great.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Great to hear we got the victory.

Can someone clarify how many teams progress to the next round (assuming the cup moves to a knockout system)

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Great to hear we got the victory.

Can someone clarify how many teams progress to the next round (assuming the cup moves to a knockout system)
Top two go through. If we beat Everton next week, we definitely qualify.

The Liverpool v Everton match, scheduled for last night, was postponed, so if we don't win it's a wait and see.

I'm hoping there will be a good turnout of United fans for the match - it's in Southport next Thursday.

Grande

Top two go through. If we beat Everton next week, we definitely qualify.

The Liverpool v Everton match, scheduled for last night, was postponed, so if we don't win it's a wait and see.

I'm hoping there will be a good turnout of United fans for the match - it's in Southport next Thursday.
‘Red angels’? FFS what is that? Girls are pretty ‘angels’, boys are tough devils? We are the red devils, please, no blasphemy.

On another note, Durham sure is a tough nut to crack open.