g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

WWC 2023 | Women's World Cup | draw

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
A 7:30pm draw in Auckland so that's 7:30am in the UK.

We think we know the pots - kind of:

PO1/2/3 - are the final places and will be decided in a mini-tournament in February. Portugal are one of the playoff teams and will play the winners of the Cameroon v Thailand match for a place.

4 groups will be based in NZ and 4 groups will be based in Australia. Knockout rounds are shared between the countries.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
They've done the welcoming speeches and the main travelogue sequences. If they've had the pointless musical interlude bit, I didn't notice it.

They are now introducing the team who are going to do the draw, so I guess something will happen soon. They're now chatting to the people doing the draw - so who knows how long or short a delay we can expect before soon happens.

Zippy20

Supports
Hertha BSC
I hate it when there's a draw and we don't even know all the teams yet.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Are Canada and Australia beatable for Ireland?
Realistically no. Canada are the Olympic champions. Australia have some of the best players in the world.

That said - Australia were unimpressive in the last WWC, despite the names. Ireland have had great results against teams that should have been better than them - that's how they got there - so who knows. Nigeria have more experience than them and usually have a strong team, so none of the games will be easy.

It would be great to see them get 4 points out of the group, or any points for that matter - but to be honest, it's great that they got there at all.

Zippy20

Supports
Hertha BSC
Pretty interesting groups, apart from groups C and F, i see a potential for upsets for 2nd or even the first two spots in every other group.

Germany with an easy group, if we don't qualify in 1st...
England with a bit of a tricky group, even though they will qualify in 1st if nothing major goes wrong, Denmark of course...and even Chile, who i'd expect to qualify, wasn't bad in 2019, i know nothing about the chinese team, but i think they usually try to play a physical game with lots of fouls (was like that in 2019 if i remember correctly) and they won't be able to match England with their physicality.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I hope US get battered every game

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Nice ceremony and presentation. Jacinta Ahearn is very impressive. It’s going to be fun. From what I’ve seen the top level of the womens game is amazing. USA and England could probably beat plenty of mens teams. Ireland looked a bit uneven to me in their matches, raw but full of fight. Hopefully they can win at least one match. Apart from Ireland, I’ll be cheering for Japan; having been amazed by them in 2011. I don’t think the current team is as good as that one with Sawa, etc. Anyway, lovely to see Ireland there and plenty to look forward to.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Are Canada and Australia beatable for Ireland?
I don’t know, but here’s the ratings …Australia (13), Ireland (24), Nigeria (45), Canada (7). We’d probably have to draw or better against the Ozzies to have any hope of progressing. Would be a huge boost if we did. But apparently Nigeria are decent and the form book points to a loss vs Canada.