JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee

R16 (Aug 5-8)
Quarter-finals (Aug 11/12)
Semi-finals (Aug 15/16)
Third Place Match (Aug 19)
Final (August 20)

The Women's World Cup tournament begins on Thursday 20th July.
8 groups of 4 - top 2 in each group go through.

Group A
New Zealand
Norway
Philippines
Switzerland

Group B
Australia
Republic of Ireland
Nigeria
Canada

Group C
Spain
Costa Rica
Zambia
Japan

Group D
England

Haiti
Denmark
China

Group E
USA
Vietnam
The Netherlands
Portugal

Group F
France
Jamaica
Brazil
Panama

Group G
Sweden
South Africa
Italy
Argentina

Group H
Germany
Morocco
Columbia
Korea Republic

Last edited:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
A quick guide to the groups, the numbers are the FIFA ranking of the team. Plus my guess at the likely qualifiers...

Group A
New Zealand 26 Norway 12 Switzerland 20 Philippines 46

NZ have home advantage and a decent looking ranking but I still expect Norway and Switzerland to run away with this group.

NZ's WWC finals record to date - P15 W0 D3 L12. I don't know enough about the Philippines to comment.

Group B
Australia 10 Canada 7 Ireland 22 Nigeria 40

Ireland had some great wins to get here and Nigeria are potentially better than their ranking suggests - despite ongoing rows between them and their own FA over facilities, funding and the governing body's all round indifference.

Australia have home advantage and some great players. Canada are the Olympic Champions. I can't see Ireland or Nigeria stopping them, but it would nice to see them giving them a scare.

Group C
Spain 6 Japan 11 Costa Rica 36 Zambia 77

Zambia surprised lots of people when they came third in the African nations cup last year, they surprised Germany by beating them 3-2 in a friendly last week. Their manager is facing allegations of sexual misconduct though which casts a massive shadow. Costa Rica have had a decent team for years and should arrive well prepared.

Even so, Spain and Japan have to be favourites to go through. Problems between the players and the management mean we won't see Spain's strongest team and they come in without the time together that you'd expect, but they could still be contenders. Japan have been revamping their team, but whether it's ready to win something - we'll have to wait and see.

Group D
England 4 China 14 Denmark 13 Haiti 53

England have struggled to reproduce their form and to score goals since the Euros. Denmark have some top players but don't currently look like a top team. Even so, I think those two will go through.

China could spoil the party of course. Haiti are in a tough group for their first tournament.

Group E
USA 1 Netherlands 9 Portugal 21 Vietnam 32

Vietnam hasn't made a WC before - neither the men's nor the women's team's. First WWC for Portugal as well.

USA and Netherlands to go through, but hopefully unlike in their 2019 group it won't be a walkover for the US.

Group F
France 5 Brazil 8 Jamaica 43 Panama 52

Ok, I admit it, I'm looking forward to seeing Khadija Shaw play for someone who isn't City. I doubt she's enough to get Jamaica through the group stage but she might be enough to give the others a scare. Panama I don't know at all.

France and Brazil to go through.

Group G
Sweden 3 Italy 16 Argentina 28 South Africa 54

Hard to envisage Sweden not making it through the group stage, but this group could be closer than the rankings make it look.

Italy are inconsistent - but so are Argentina and SA. SA won the Women's ANC last year so they're capable of surprising people. Argentina are better prepared than they were back in 2019.

Group H
Germany 2 South Korea 17 Colombia 25 Morocco 72

Germany to go through - they have to be a tournament favourite if they can keep their first choice players fit.

Second place in the group could turn into a battle. Morocco are the lowest ranked team in the tournament but they've got a good manager and made it to the final of the Womens ANC last year. The mix of federations and the fact that in women's football a shift in FA policy or funding can make a difference quickly makes it hard to know how seriously to take the rankings.

I'm going Korea as second qualifier if only on the basis that Ji So-yun has been an annoyingly good player for Chelsea.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Opening matches - Thursday 20 July. It's jointly hosted by New Zealand and Australia so it kicks off with them in their Auckland and Sydney stadiums:
New Zealand v Norway - 8am (UK) live on BBC1
Australia v Ireland - 11am on ITV1

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
Fantastic ad for the French team.

Zebs

Irish team's last warm-up game against Colombia called off after 20 minutes due it being overly physical.

Colombians already had two yellow cards and Ireland's Denise O'Sullivan has been taken to hospital. :houllier:

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Irish team's last warm-up game against Colombia called off after 20 minutes due it being overly physical.

Colombians already had two yellow cards and Ireland's Denise O'Sullivan has been taken to hospital. :houllier:
Im not sure this is good for the womens game at all.
A few tackles and a team just walks off!! Its unheard of!

What was the ref at?

Zebs

Im not sure this is good for the womens game at all.
A few tackles and a team just walks off!! Its unheard of!

What was the ref at?
Irish coaches discussed with the referees and it was decided to stop the game. It was a behind-closed-doors friendly. Not sure if it even counts as an official game so I guess all the same rules don't apply.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
In Australia and New Zealand it's already the opening day of the Womens World Cup - so welcome to the matchday thread.

First up are the host nations.
New Zealand v Norway at 8am (UK) - live on BBC1
Australia v Ireland at 11am - live on ITV1

Special mentions to Vilde Boe Risa (Norway) the only United player who might feature tomorrow and to Diane Caldwell (Ireland) the former United player.

Good luck to NZ and Ireland - you're going to need it :D

Grande

Opening matches - Thursday 20 July. It's jointly hosted by New Zealand and Australia so it kicks off with them in their Auckland and Sydney stadiums:
New Zealand v Norway - 8am (UK) live on BBC1
Australia v Ireland - 11am on ITV1
Heia Norge! Her kommer bønda ifra Nord! Vilde Bø!

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Fancy Spain to win it even with some players still missing with the manager issues.
Japan can go far too if they get a favourable draw. Japan were extremely Impressive in the She Beleives Cup earlier this year, despite the score lines. If they play like that again they’ll be tough to beat for anyone.

Watched the majority of warm up games that were streamed for every side - Probably the weirdest build up to a tournament I’ve seen. Pretty much every big side bar Spain have looked well below their usual level the past few months.

Germany warm up games might be the worst I’ve ever seen from a big side. Struggled past Vietnam (albeit with a weaker lineup) and lost to Zambia. Barely created anything against Zambia who can’t defend.
England games not really been streamed but they’re struggling to score too.

Ones to watch for me, Dumornay for Haiti and Banda for Zambia. Dumornay will almost definitely end up at a top side, huge talent. Her and Mondesir can cause England issues I think. I think Haiti can surprise people although their defence can leak goals at times.

Banda is excellent for Zambia, extremely physical and quick. Will be tough to deal with for all the teams in their group.
Zambia games will be fun to watch, great going forward but cannot defend. Should have some high scoring games. Their warm up games v Swiss and Ireland could both have had much more goals than they did.

Looking forward to the competition, think it’s the first WWC where it feels open for who can win it. As well as some of the smaller natikns being able to compete against the bigger ones.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Im heading off to the stadium shortly. looking forward to the game. Partly because 4 of the NZ players I was lucky enough to have in a couple of my teams when they were younger. Jacqui Hand and Malia Steinmetz were central midfielders in an u15 club team I had for a year, Katie Bowen I had in a regional rep training squad one season as well as playing a few games of social footy with her older brother and then Victoria Esson who was GK for a club side that went to Aussie for a couple of social end of season tournaments.
Im hoping they all get game time, Vic and Katie will start with Jacqui and Malia probably coming in later off the bench.
Weather is shite unfortunately which may have an impact on how many show up to watch. Still expecting it to be close to a sell out.

damoley

Gotta say I thought we’d be getting thrashed and out classed by this point. Norway dont seem to be stringing anything decent together. We love a long ball

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
I know it’s night time there but the crowd wearing jackets and beanies in the middle of the summer? Didn’t know the Kiwis were this fragile.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Really good half for NZ. A proper opening game hosts performance from them. Norway were looking frustrated at times, not getting key players on the ball.

Chances are that Norway will improve and NZ will tire, but so far the underdogs are delivering.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I know it’s night time there but the crowd wearing jackets and beanies in the middle of the summer? Didn’t know the Kiwis were this fragile.
It's winter in the Southern Hemisphere!

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Don't want to jinx them but the Kiwi ladies have been impressive - no one gave them a chance pre-match but they have dominated

Will be great to get some upsets in this tournament

damoley

I’m wondering how much the morning time drama may have affected the Norwegians, considering the shooting was right outside their hotel. All that said, we have been extremely impressive, hope they can hold on

RedDevilQuebecois

Referee going to the monitor. Norway are in deep trouble with 3 minutes left; that's a hand ball.

edit: Penalty to New Zealand!