"X player is better Y" debate with friends...

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Currently having a discussion with a friend over who is better between Maguire and Matip last season (he is of course a scouse supporter).

Keen to hear if anyone has had similar discussions where you thought your mate was a bit deluded? This chat has even led him to say Matip's the 2nd best CB in the league, the most underrated player in the league and that Ruben Dias is bang average.

And yes, it severely questions my friendship with him!

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Matip is definitely underated. That said never argue with a Liverpool fan, it's pointless.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Scouser in my last job said both Connor Coady and Tyrone Mings were "miles better" than Maguire and that Maguire was "League One level".

Scouser in my last job said both Connor Coady and Tyrone Mings were "miles better" than Maguire and that Maguire was "League One level".
Maguire is one of those CB you only realise how important he is when he doesn’t play for a few weeks.

I’d argue that’s the best sign of a CB, a CB whose always making last ditch tackles etc is actually one who is lacking in composure and reading of the game or plays for a team with very crap defensive tactics.

Best comparison I can make is with stereotypical top quality Italian CB, you don’t really notice what they do until they get injured and the team’s defensive turns to crap.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Maguire is one of those CB you only realise how important he is when he doesn’t play for a few weeks.

I’d argue that’s the best sign of a CB, a CB whose always making last ditch tackles etc is actually one who is lacking in composure and reading of the game or plays for a team with very crap defensive tactics.

Best comparison I can make is with stereotypical top quality Italian CB, you don’t really notice what they do until they get injured and the team’s defensive turns to crap.
This lad was just an idiot. In the approach to the Euros he named his preferred England squad and included Nat Phillips and Curtis Jones, and said he'd be calling James Milner out of retirement if he were manager.

This lad was just an idiot. In the approach to the Euros he named his preferred England squad and included Nat Phillips and Curtis Jones, and said he'd be calling James Milner out of retirement if he were manager.
Haha…he should know that James Milner would never give up his summer train spotting to play in an international football tournament

crossy1686

career ending
People who generally watch their teams play week in week out will always say they have better players than a team they see play once a month, if that

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Matip is definitely under rated, but no chance he is the 2nd best CB in the league. VVD, Maguire, Dias, Stones, Laporte are all better.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I remember an Arsenal fan I knew trying to convince me that Alan Smith (as in the Leeds Alan Smith who ended up playing as a midfielder for us) was clearly a better striker than Ruud Van Nistelrooy.

An opinion so wrong that 16 years have passed and yet I still remember where I was when he said it to me.

Noodle

Supports
Chelsea
Mata v Cazorla when they were at Chelsea and Arsenal respectively

TheRedHearted

Currently having a discussion with a friend over who is better between Maguire and Matip last season (he is of course a scouse supporter).

Keen to hear if anyone has had similar discussions where you thought your mate was a bit deluded? This chat has even led him to say Matip's the 2nd best CB in the league, the most underrated player in the league and that Ruben Dias is bang average.

Matip is definitely under rated, but no chance he is the 2nd best CB in the league. VVD, Maguire, Dias, Stones, Laporte are all better.
Surely numbers could be brought into equation. Thing is also would be important to see the amount of chances created against the CB, which would depend on the structure of the rest of the team. Like I imagine in Liverpool’s winning season they let a lot less chances created against them, similarly if we get that DM I think we will have less as well

big rons sovereign

Pointless arguing with scousers, they're the best club with the best players, best stadium and best atmosphere, best managers ever, best city and obviously the best and most knowledgeable fans.
Everybody else is either shit or cheating.
And if provided with evidence to the contrary you'll be hit with "did I ask?"

G-manc

Didn't Matip only play a dozen games last season? surely it would be hard to make a case based on that alone.

youmeletsfly

I'm always a spectator of these type of arguments between my friends, all of them about the CR7 vs Messi debate.

They always end with me stabbing one of them and saying that nobody should fecking care who's the better player. They still continue though.

Every god damn dinner, barbecue, party, group fecking session or hunting party is ruined by these two fecking football players. Can't wait for both of them to retire.

G-manc

I live in and work in Leeds and heard an argument between an Arsenal and Leeds fan where the gooner stated Kalvin Phillips was a 'poor man's Granit Xhaka'.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Surely numbers could be brought into equation. Thing is also would be important to see the amount of chances created against the CB, which would depend on the structure of the rest of the team. Like I imagine in Liverpool’s winning season they let a lot less chances created against them, similarly if we get that DM I think we will have less as well
Didn't Matip only play a dozen games last season? surely it would be hard to make a case based on that alone.
He did say the past 3 seasons to begin with, but then went onto say the few appearances he made were still better than Maguire's season.

As most of the above said, arguing with scousers is a very pointless exercise. He's been delusional over the years and speaking about comparisons never works out

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Biggest one I've had was Drogba vs Van Nistelrooy. That argument went on for years and years and it still crops up every now and again to this day. We're both Chelsea fans though.