Xabi Alonso: Bayer Leverkusen manager - Bundesliga Dinner Plate Winner

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Because many Germans have a huge inferior complex and need football to compensate for it.

That's also why even people like Uli Hoeneß many years ago were not ashamed to publicly announce that Real Madrid would soon go bankrupt.

The world cup final was a nightmare for many German football fans as it meant that either Messi was going to be crowned or France was adding one more world cup to their title list and thus getting closer to Germany.

If they are not successful on the pitch, then at least they need to feel like they are superior when it comes to solid finances.

Btw, ever noticed that German fans will usually even cheer for their archenemy in Europe? Could you ever imagine a die-hard United fan rooting for Liverpool or Manchester City in the Champions League? In Germany that behavior is really common as it's the German football fans biggest dream to see the Bundesliga dominate European football.

9/10, if you want to go full Brexiteer you should've somehow included WW2 in there to get a perfect result

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
9/10, if you want to go full Brexiteer you should've somehow included WW2 in there to get a perfect result
Yeah, he should have added about a half sentence about how our supposed inferiority complex is caused by us losing WW2 or something like that for perfection.

Meanwhile I'm trying hard to think of a single German football fan I know who actually even cared about the WC final. The WC was a nightmare in a lot of ways, but that point he mentioned did really not occur to me before.

es-muellert

Supports
Bayern München
Yeah, he should have added about a half sentence about how our supposed inferiority complex is caused by us losing WW2 or something like that for perfection.

Meanwhile I'm trying hard to think of a single German football fan I know who actually even cared about the WC final. The WC was a nightmare in a lot of ways, but that point he mentioned did really not occur to me before.
Really? Just open up the SPOX article covering the world cup final and go through the comments.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Really? Just open up the SPOX article covering the world cup final and go through the comments.
I think the comment section on SPOX is generally not a good reflection of the public sentiments in Germany. Your comment about the WC final is almost bizarre. I don't know a single person who felt about the WC final that way. Most people I know either enjoyed a great game or boycotted it because of Qatar/FIFA.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Spox still exists? It's probably a decade since I read something there for the last time :lol:

es-muellert

Supports
Bayern München
I think the comment section on SPOX is generally not a good reflection of the public sentiments in Germany. Your comment about the WC final is almost bizarre. I don't know a single person who felt about the WC final that way. Most people I know either enjoyed a great game or boycotted it because of Qatar/FIFA.
Spox still exists? It's probably a decade since I read something there for the last time :lol:
You could also check out the posts on Transfermarkt before the final.

Another example is to just look at the end of every season, when teams like e.g. Freiburg still have chances to qualify for the Champions League. Lots of German fans than start hoping that they'll be taken over by other teams as they fear they would 'embarass' them in Europe... They'd rather have their archenemy qualify.

At the same time many German fans are now hoping that Italian teams won't be competitive anymore in the near future because the tax advantages for foreign players will be discontinued.

It's just a constant topic for German football fans and if you need proof just visit the Bayern Munich Transfermarkt forum and check out the lengthy discussions about the Italian League in the 'Internationale Konkurrenz' thread the past weeks.

I'll leave it at this as it's getting slightly off topic here...

Boavista

Btw, ever noticed that German fans will usually even cheer for their archenemy in Europe? Could you ever imagine a die-hard United fan rooting for Liverpool or Manchester City in the Champions League? In Germany that behavior is really common as it's the German football fans biggest dream to see the Bundesliga dominate European football.
I think that has entirely different reasons. Pretty sure that stems from times when the uefa country coefficients mattered in terms of how many teams could enter the Champions League. I think the Bundesliga overtook Seria A in 2011, giving them 3 direct CL entries + 1 qualifier as opposed to the previous 2 + 1. Then around 2017 they changed it to all top four leagues gaining four direct entries, making it a bit more irrelevant.

Anyway, my point is you see this in some other leagues too where the rankings matter(ed), and to some extent now again where this season's ranking matters for that 5th CL spot next season. The media makes a huge deal out of that race to get more spots in European competitions. That doesn't usually happen in England because ranking in the the top 2 leagues has practically never been in danger. My theory is Germany's long fight for that extra CL spot, especially in the 2000s, and the corresponding media coverage is what led to many fans supporting other clubs too in European competitions. And that sentiment just kind of stuck. That may not explain all of it, but at least it played a big part in my opinion.

As alien as that concept might be in England, I don't think I've ever seen so much coverage and talk about country coefficients in English media as I'm seeing now that there is an extra CL spot up for grabs.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I think that has entirely different reasons. Pretty sure that stems from times when the uefa country coefficients mattered in terms of how many teams could enter the Champions League. I think the Bundesliga overtook Seria A in 2011, giving them 3 direct CL entries + 1 qualifier as opposed to the previous 2 + 1. Then around 2017 they changed it to all top four leagues gaining four direct entries, making it a bit more irrelevant.

Anyway, my point is you see this in some other leagues too where the rankings matter(ed), and to some extent now again where this season's ranking matters for that 5th CL spot next season. The media makes a huge deal out of that race to get more spots in European competitions. That doesn't usually happen in England because ranking in the the top 2 leagues has practically never been in danger. My theory is Germany's long fight for that extra CL spot, especially in the 2000s, and the corresponding media coverage is what led to many fans supporting other clubs too in European competitions. And that sentiment just kind of stuck. That may not explain all of it, but at least it played a big part in my opinion.

As alien as that concept might be in England, I don't think I've ever seen so much coverage and talk about country coefficients in English media as I'm seeing now that there is an extra CL spot up for grabs.
I think there's also the dimension that most fans long for a team that makes the title race exciting again. Dortmund from 2010-2012 was just something fresh and I rooted for them because they made Bayern eat some humble pie. Lots of "neutrals" also root for Bayern in international competitions, though, so there your theory might apply. Anyway, I think the "underdogs" get much more sympathy. Even Dortmund these days receives lots of illwill, similarly to Bayern.

If a team like Brighton or Leicester has a deep tournament run, I imagine many "rival fans" will root for them as well. The illwill is primarily directed towards the other top 6 teams. But in Germany we only have one or maybe two of these.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
You could also check out the posts on Transfermarkt before the final.

Another example is to just look at the end of every season, when teams like e.g. Freiburg still have chances to qualify for the Champions League. Lots of German fans than start hoping that they'll be taken over by other teams as they fear they would 'embarass' them in Europe... They'd rather have their archenemy qualify.

At the same time many German fans are now hoping that Italian teams won't be competitive anymore in the near future because the tax advantages for foreign players will be discontinued.

It's just a constant topic for German football fans and if you need proof just visit the Bayern Munich Transfermarkt forum and check out the lengthy discussions about the Italian League in the 'Internationale Konkurrenz' thread the past weeks.

I'll leave it at this as it's getting slightly off topic here...
I don't think these forums are representative of the public sentiment either. Trust me, the average German fan definitely prefers Freiburg in the UCL over Leipzig or to a lesser extent Leverkusen unless the latter are really playing some outrageous football. I'd even say that most match going fans don't give two fecks about the competitiveness of the league, they just support their local teams and are against commercialization in any capacity. They're there for the spectacle and have no problems with the league being clearly inferior to England and Spain and just support other German teams because of their underdog role. Bayern and Dortmund for instance get much more illwill and their defeats are being laughed at.

That aside, don't you think it is only logical that Bayern fans think this way? They have no rivals anyway and can afford to indulge some success to others. It is actually even in their self-interest as they are suffering from the bad reputation of the league in regards to international competitiveness as well. Plus they are bored just like the rest of us by the past 11 years. They were much saltier when Dortmund won the league twice there as well.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I'd even say that most match going fans don't give two fecks about the competitiveness of the league, they just support their local teams and are against commercialization in any capacity. They're there for the spectacle and have no problems with the league being clearly inferior to England and Spain and just support other German teams because of their underdog role. Bayern and Dortmund for instance get much more illwill and their defeats are being laughed at.
To make an even broader point out of that: There are few "archenemies" in German football and even some of those really deep rivalries have mostly become irrelevant during the last years by one part of that dropping down a league and simply not playing against each other anymore (Schalke/Dortmund, Bayern/1860 München, Hamburg/Bremen etc).

So a lot of European matches (especially against English/Spanish/Italian teams) become "a team representing German football culture" vs "some corrupt a**** who sold their soul". Which does indeed create the feeling that Germans all support each others teams. In a way we do quite often, and I don't think it hurts to acknowledge. Lots of us just care more about German football culture thriving than about seeing our enemy teams thrown into dust.

I for example want Braunschweig to be so successful that they always stay in the same league as Hannover. But barely, and to beat them twice a season. But I don't want to see them relegated further down than us. And I think a lot of us feel similarly (I believe @do.ob mentioned something similar regarding Schalke some time ago).

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
To make an even broader point out of that: There are few "archenemies" in German football and even some of those really deep rivalries have mostly become irrelevant during the last years by one part of that dropping down a league and simply not playing against each other anymore (Schalke/Dortmund, Bayern/1860 München, Hamburg/Bremen etc).

So a lot of European matches (especially against English/Spanish/Italian teams) become "a team representing German football culture" vs "some corrupt a**** who sold their soul". Which does indeed create the feeling that Germans all support each others teams. In a way we do quite often, and I don't think it hurts to acknowledge. Lots of us just care more about German football culture thriving than about seeing our enemy teams thrown into dust.

I for example want Braunschweig to be so successful that they always stay in the same league as Hannover. But barely, and to beat them twice a season. But I don't want to see them relegated further down than us. And I think a lot of us feel similarly (I believe @do.ob mentioned something similar regarding Schalke some time ago).
Yep, it's a bit of a Captain Ahab situation. I don't want Cologne to be relegated either. Really enjoyed Hamburg and Schalke going down but as of now I think it's time they play some first league football again.

redcucumber

About to sign for Bayern? Absolutely mental that they'd do this in the middle of a title race.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
About to sign for Bayern? Absolutely mental that they'd do this in the middle of a title race.
They did announce the Götze signing on Dortmund just before the Champions League final against them.

fecking hell German football is depressing.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
They did announce the Götze signing on Dortmund just before the Champions League final against them.

fecking hell German football is depressing.
Agree that the situation is depressing. But we didn’t announce Götze before the Champions league final. At least not because we wanted to. If I recall correctly, the deal got leaked shortly before Dortmund played Real in the semis.

Ole'sattheWheel

Weird country for football. it seems whenever there is a contender to Bayern, they just instantly sweep up all the assets and that's that.
Klopp's the only one who didn't just take the easy route

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Just learned Fosu-Mensah plays for Leverkusen.

Then learned he's not kicked a ball this season.

berbasloth4

Anyone think Alonso might be best for himself staying with leverkusen for another season or two?

it’s his first full season he is still learning, the Bayern Munich job is available every other season. We see a lot of young managers do well jump to a bigger job maybe too soon and it knocks them back again. I think he should continue what he has at with leverkusen see if he can make a mark on the champs league and continue to grow his profile

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Anyone think Alonso might be best for himself staying with leverkusen for another season or two?

it’s his first full season he is still learning, the Bayern Munich job is available every other season. We see a lot of young managers do well jump to a bigger job maybe too soon and it knocks them back again. I think he should continue what he has at with leverkusen see if he can make a mark on the champs league and continue to grow his profile
I am 100% with you on this. The big clubs Madrid Bayern Barcelona chew up managers and spit them out brutally. One poor season and his reputation has gone to shit

Look at Xavi, He won the La Liga last season, this season he looks miserable and depressed. If not for the home grown tax, he would have been fired

For Alonso, Liverpool might be more understanding and patient with him, but best case scenario he stays with Leverkusen for 1 more season defend his league title(if he wins) then see them far in the CL

TsuWave

No guarantees in football. Say he decides to stay at Leverkusen and has a calamitous season - he could very well derail his rapid ascent to something he struggles to recover from.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
I am 100% with you on this. The big clubs Madrid Bayern Barcelona chew up managers and spit them out brutally. One poor season and his reputation has gone to shit

Look at Xavi, He won the La Liga last season, this season he looks miserable and depressed. If not for the home grown tax, he would have been fired

For Alonso, Liverpool might be more understanding and patient with him, but best case scenario he stays with Leverkusen for 1 more season defend his league title(if he wins) then see them far in the CL
Just what I posted

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I think he'll stay on with Bayer for one more campaign. I get the impression he's quite loyal and would like to see what they, and he , can achieve in the CL.
Its arguable the options he has now will be greater in another year anyway.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Ive not watched Leverkusen this season.

Is their position in the league down to xabi or is it due to Bayern shitting the bin?

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool

Is their position in the league down to xabi or is it due to Bayern shitting the bin?
Leverkusen are the only unbeaten team in Europe’s top 5 leagues. They’re having a time great season regardless of the state of Bayern.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München

It's both. We already played them twice and only got one point out of it. Up until last week our results were good points-wise, but performances and state of play have convinced very rarely since Tuchel took over.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96

Leverkusen is performing close to the all time points record of Heynckes' triple winning Bayern 2013 and on par with Guardiola's best seasons. Bayern actually (in regard to points) have their second best season after Guardiola (only Flick's sextuple winners got more points). So it's absolutely the case that everything clicked for Leverkusen this season.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
The win today means that Leverkusen haven't lost for 33 competitive matches (which is their whole season). Which is a new record for a German club (previously held by Flick's Bayern (December 2019 until September 2020 - which included them winning Bundesliga, German Cup, Champions League and German and UEFA Supercup).

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
The win today means that Leverkusen haven't lost for 33 competitive matches (which is their whole season). Which is a new record for a German club (previously held by Flick's Bayern (December 2019 until September 2020 - which included them winning Bundesliga, German Cup, Champions League and German and UEFA Supercup).
Its insane, credits to them.

I hope for a Leverkusen - Liverpool final in the El, that could be epic.

Pughnichi

Credit to them. But wow. The Mainz keeper was so so bad for both goals.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
The world cup final was a nightmare for many German football fans as it meant that either Messi was going to be crowned or France was adding one more world cup to their title list and thus getting closer to Germany.
Surely not a single person in the planet had nightmares about that other than Ronaldo fanboys and Real Madrid fans? And the latter aren't even a separate bunch of people.

Why would Germans give two shits about it?

Charlie Foley

so what??