Xavi | Masterclass | Coaches' Voice

Varun

Staff
I think some coaches are more suited to underdogs while some are more suited to being the dominant team. Xavi is certainly in the latter class. I Don think this is something often considered when assessing potential coaches
100%

MUFC OK

Used to playing against the low block, numerical superiority, "solutions". I'd give him a chance over Ole. Best case: Pep/Cruyff reincarnated, worst case Arteta.

redom

If he's producing football akin to that in the clip then good on him, obviously he'll have tougher tests managerially in future but that was some sexy football.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think he is waiting for the right opportunity(not necessarily Barcelona) before moving to Europe. I like how he speaks and his ideas. Just hope the opportunity comes soon or he could fall into a trap.

captaincantona

I think some coaches are more suited to underdogs while some are more suited to being the dominant team. Xavi is certainly in the latter class. I Don think this is something often considered when assessing potential coaches
A coach who is suited to being an underdog does not have the ability to be anything else. It’s basically another way of saying they are not a top level coach. A coach who doesn’t know how to coach a dominant team is not an elite level coach. Very few “non dominant” teams play at the elite level anymore - Simone‘s Athletico being the last. This is why you see lots of coaches with “cup” success- because on his day, a non-dominant coach can eek out a result against anyone (see Ole v PSG!).

All other elite level coaches are comfortable having the majority of the ball and know how to use it without having to be up in the 70% possession stats. Tuchel, Rodgers, Zidane, Naglesmann, Rose, Poch, Ten HAag, Allegri, Conte, Sarri...all elite managers...none dominate the ball like Klopp or Pep...but all have distinct styles when in possession that allow them to go toe to toe with any team.

When you don’t have a coach with that ability- you counter attack...Jose and Ole are very similar in that regard and would never even consider going toe to toe with top sides. Man Utd are too big to not have a coach who has a distinct identity in possession.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
If he's producing football akin to that in the clip then good on him, obviously he'll have tougher tests managerially in future but that was some sexy football.
Seems like they do play that kind of football regularly. Some resemblance of Barca there. It does help that he has Santi Cazorla to build the team around.

The fact that he can make a team from Qatar with somewhere around 85% players from Qatar, play that kind of football kind of speaks in his favor.

redom

Seems like they do play that kind of football regularly. Some resemblance of Barca there. It does help that he has Santi Cazorla to build the team around.

I do love me some one touch football, even if they're not going anywhere I'd much rather watch players ping it between each other than some lump dwell on the ball for 3 seconds before deciding to play the pass, of course effectiveness and the ability to break down teams/create chances will be the ultimate test but even just psychologically I think it helps because it feels more dynamic and up tempo, maybe I'm just easily fooled.

Also that overhead pass down the line at 43 seconds was great :lol: