Xavi (Spanish Lego Pep) | Barca manager - and will be next season

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
There is just a very mockable contrast between his views of football as a player and the actual football that Barcelona play under him.
You would think it's anti-mockable, given the actual football Barcelona is more suited to the personnel he has playing for him. I hate to use the word, but "pragmatic"... Which we love on here of course

But yes it is funny to see him compromise to win

Red Star One

He was the main reason Barca lost yesterday, you can probably excuse the overly defensive set up and suboptimal tactics for the game, but getting sent off at 1-2, when you are still tied and fighting for your life, was again irresponsible and idiotic. He can't control himself and it costs him again

adexkola

Supports
He was the main reason Barca lost yesterday, you can probably excuse the overly defensive set up and suboptimal tactics for the game, but getting sent off at 1-2, when you are still tied and fighting for your life, was again irresponsible and idiotic. He can't control himself and it costs him again
No, the main reason Barcelona lost yesterday was the red card caused by a defensive lapse.

Was SAF responsible for our loss to Real Madrid that year Nani got sent off?

Kwabs

Supports
Barcelona
No, the main reason Barcelona lost yesterday was the red card caused by a defensive lapse.

This. It was always going to be tough with 10. On Xavi generally, he's one of the greatest players of all time. The number of people who fall into that category, and are also great managers is vanishingly small. Given that, I think he's been OK, overall. Not great, but OK. OK is obviously not good enough for Barcelona, which is why he is leaving, but he can do so with his head held high IMO.

Red Star One

I don't recall Sir Alex being sent off that game and leaving the team to their own for over 30 minutes of an super important tie.
But the comparison doesn't really work anyway - there's a general agreement Nani got sent off wrongly and that should've never been a red card. The tie against Madrid was skewed due to ref error. Yesterday there was no ref error, only as you said yourself a red caused by a defensive lapse. Araujo cost Barca a lot, yes, but if Xavi didn't give up so early it could've been a different result

adexkola

Supports
I don't recall Sir Alex being sent off that game and leaving the team to their own for over 30 minutes of an super important tie.
But the comparison doesn't really work anyway - there's a general agreement Nani got sent off wrongly and that should've never been a red card. The tie against Madrid was skewed due to ref error. Yesterday there was no ref error, only as you said yourself a red caused by a defensive lapse. Araujo cost Barca a lot, yes, but if Xavi didn't give up so early it could've been a different result
There is no general agreement Nani shouldn't have been off. I don't think so, but others feel differently

And against a great opponent, once you're down to 10 against them (whether wrongly or rightly), it's only going on way. Yes Xavi shouldn't have lost his head, he could have walked around the stadium like SAF but it would have ended the same way

tomaldinho1

He should be made to make a public apology to the ref after his comments post match. Refs get enough crap as it is but that seemed to me one of the few good performances I have seen recently. Football needs to start making people accountable when they are wrong (including refs) but we can't encourage managers coming out and saying the ref is a disaster when he's actually done a good job that just happens to be against your team.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
He should be made to make a public apology to the ref after his comments post match. Refs get enough crap as it is but that seemed to me one of the few good performances I have seen recently. Football needs to start making people accountable when they are wrong (including refs) but we can't encourage managers coming out and saying the ref is a disaster when he's actually done a good job that just happens to be against your team.
Think so as well. Xavi completely lost the plot. I get that you miss the foul in the first or second replay but that just shows that you can't allow yourself to let your emotions get the better of you as a coach.

I guess the pressure of being Barca coach is really getting to him.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Complaining about a ref while working for a team that paid off refs is truly a new level of hypocrisy. What a tool. Should be banned for multiple matches.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
In that game United conceded two goals, one of which was a bit of a wonder strike. Barcelona conceded four goals.
Losing yesterday was understandable, but going from a two-goal advantage to a two-goal deficit is atrocious.

adexkola

Supports
In that game United conceded two goals, one of which was a bit of a wonder strike. Barcelona conceded four goals.
Losing yesterday was understandable, but going from a two-goal advantage to a two-goal deficit is atrocious.
I'm speaking about the defeat. Xavi lost his head and the team did as well, no excuses there. A stoic Xavi still loses and is out the tie, so unless you want to branch into a wider conversation about his temperament (which, most managers have those lose it moments), then the manner of the defeat doesn't really matter

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Football fiction, Barcelona is still likely to lose that tie, but a manager remaining calm in those moments is important. I wasn't a big fan of Fergie's overreaction in the Nani balls-up season - even though it was much more understandable that Xavi's yesterday. Barça looked nervy and disjointed after, which could be inherently due to the situation, but also to Xavi's leadership (or lack thereof).

We'll never know, but Barça would have had a better chance (albeit slim) to edge it out with a cool head on the sidelines. That doesn't mean the defeat is for Xavi though, but some responsibility should be borne by him.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
There is no general agreement Nani shouldn't have been off. I don't think so, but others feel differently
There is. Even the opposing manager thought it was the wrong decision!

antk

And against a great opponent, once you're down to 10 against them (whether wrongly or rightly), it's only going on way. Yes Xavi shouldn't have lost his head, he could have walked around the stadium like SAF but it would have ended the same way
It's not true though, is it? There are many great sides that do not concede 3+ goals when they're down to 10, including in CL knockouts.

adexkola

Supports
It's not true though, is it? There are many great sides that do not concede 3+ goals when they're down to 10, including in CL knockouts.
If the criticism is about them shipping 4, fine. Pointless, but have at it

If the criticism is about them losing the tie, then of course it's true. What's this expectation of sides a man down doing great? There's a reason why a red card is considered a severe punishment.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
No with the personnel they had to be fair. They honestly did not have a good chance want they went down to 10 vs this PSG side. What sealed their fate further was the decision to not choose what Yamal could do to PSG"s backline in transition over Lewandowski's experience, which also was an understandable decsions. Thus I do not believe it fair to claim Xavi made huge tactical errors in the match. It was actually Araujo's sorry decsion making. Plus Cancelo's not long after that really turned eveyrthing on its head. Two unforced inidvidual errors

adexkola

Supports
No with the personnel they had to be fair. They honestly did not have a good chance want they went down to 10 vs this PSG side. What sealed their fate further was the decision to not choose what Yamal could do to PSG"s backline in transition over Lewandowski's experience, which also was an understandable decsions. Thus I do not believe it fair to claim Xavi made huge tactical errors in the match. It was actually Araujo's sorry decsion making. Plus Cancelo's not long after that really turned eveyrthing on its head. Two unforced inidvidual errors
People overrate the impact of tactics when down a man.

Teams at the highest levelsnare too sophisticated nowadays, they will find the space that sent off man would have been plugging, and attack it relentlessly.

10 minutes left in the match? Decent chance of holding on. Nearly the entire match? Come on.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Tactically I don't think there was much wrong with taking off Yamal apart with the benefit of hindsight. Lewa didn't have a great game but probably could've killed the tie on a better night. I do think Xavi's nervousness and its impact on the team's psychology shouldn't be underestimated though - it's not quantifiable, but it definitely has an impact. It's basic leadership.

Red Star One

Football fiction, Barcelona is still likely to lose that tie, but a manager remaining calm in those moments is important. I wasn't a big fan of Fergie's overreaction in the Nani balls-up season - even though it was much more understandable that Xavi's yesterday. Barça looked nervy and disjointed after, which could be inherently due to the situation, but also to Xavi's leadership (or lack thereof).

We'll never know, but Barça would have had a better chance (albeit slim) to edge it out with a cool head on the sidelines. That doesn't mean the defeat is for Xavi though, but some responsibility should be borne by him.
Couldn’t agree more

Tactically I don't think there was much wrong with taking off Yamal apart with the benefit of hindsight.
I strongly disagree. PSG were already in control of possesion before the red card with Barca only hurting them in transition. The best transition play they made had Yamal wreck them, who PSG were struggling to leave with and Raphina in the support role, finish it off. Down to 10 men vs a team pressing and hogging possesion. Barca's only hope was to have pace on the break. Especially pace in some on able to hold the ball and pick the right pass at pace. Lewandowski was never the answer. Even the statistics show as expected he gave away the ball than anyone trying to hold up thr ball and launch attacks vs 4 defenders he couldn't get away from.

Thus even if one could reasonable cite Yamal's inexperience. At the very least Lewandowski too should have been replaced with a Felix or Torres. To help relieve pressure and pose pacy questions on the break for a PSG set to camp on the half way line.

Personally once Yamal was taken off for a defender, instead of Lewa, I was convinced the tie was dead as a contest. I even said as much to the group of fans I was watching the game with. Most of them didn't believe it then neither. But full time proved I wasn't offside.

Lewa didn't have a great game but probably could've killed the tie on a better night. I do think Xavi's nervousness and its impact on the team's psychology shouldn't be underestimated though - it's not quantifiable, but it definitely has an impact. It's basic leadership.
The thing is Lewa had zero chance of having a better night against that quality of opponent. Not with Barca without significant control of a decent share of possesion yet down to 10 men. Its true Xavi losing his head on the touchline wasn't helpful. But to me it was more of a reaction of witnessing Barca's goose getting well done on the fire as the match progressed.

People overrate the impact of tactics when down a man.

Teams at the highest levelsnare too sophisticated nowadays, they will find the space that sent off man would have been plugging, and attack it relentlessly.

10 minutes left in the match? Decent chance of holding on. Nearly the entire match? Come on.
The entire thing with 10 men is to make it as hard as possible for the opponent to overwhelm you with their sheer extra man. That can be done tactically. It is an up hill better yet rarely a completely lost cause.

One of the best examples I can give was Chelsea at Anfield under Tuchel. He lost a man early and simply set up to neutralize Pool for as long as possible. In the end it worked. Barca in comparison compromised any chance of it fairly quick after going down to 10 thanks to picking the wrong tactical choice. So an uphill battle shifted to certain death fairly quickly.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters

Norman Whiteside would disagree

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
There is just a very mockable contrast between his views of football as a player and the actual football that Barcelona play under him.
People think he's annoying now but he was a lot worse as a player, we don't call him 'jardinero' or 'meacolonias' for nothing. He's still an idiot but managing this Barca side has broken him and made him less insufferable or maybe I'm just enjoying seen him failing and having to quit for his sanity. :lol:

RoyH1

Would you take him at United?
No. Sore loser and whiny personality. I don’t want that combination from our managers. Plus he’d be praying at the altar of Guardiola’s willy every time we play Citeh

whitbyviking

Xavi whining about a phantom goal in the Classico. Laporta not ruling out legal action and demanding a replay :lol:

The one pic I’ve seen it doesn’t look a goal.

RoyH1

Xavi whining about a phantom goal in the Classico. Laporta not ruling out legal action and demanding a replay :lol:

The one pic I’ve seen it doesn’t look a goal.
A part of me kinda wants the crazy Spanish football authorities to give them what they want and meet a fresh and rested Madrid team. And of course lose in spectacular fashion.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
A part of me kinda wants the crazy Spanish football authorities to give them what they want and meet a fresh and rested Madrid team. And of course lose in spectacular fashion.
Why would it be any different? They both played midweek.

RoyH1

Werent Barca a man down?
Don’t see how that would matter as much as playing half an hour more, 24 hours later against Pep’s roboarmy.
All a moot point. Madrid won and Barsa lost and whines away and we won’t get another game this season.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I mean, I guess we could repeat the game after the end of the season, when we've already won the title...

Pintu

Not necessarily… as has been demonstrated many times, and Xavi himself knows about it. He played for a Pep’s Barça (possibly the best ever) and went out to Mourinho’s Inter playing with 10 men at the Campnou… Same against Chelsea two years later (albeit with tremendous luck).

Two days after Barcelona’s fiasco, Roma went down to 10 men against a Milan side that’s 15 points ahead of them in the league and they kept it together, defended their lead… I’m not convinced that this Paris is that much superior to Barcelona. They are in a transition season, the first one with Enrique and having changed many important players…