Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Eastward has been on Switch for a couple of years I think, I bought it last year and got to about halfway through, very good game.

High on Life looks very promising and I’ve wanted Hot Wheels for a while so very happy about this lineup.
Sorry I meant it came out on Xbox today. It was originally on Switch (as you say) and PC in Sept 2021.

DavelinaJolie

The problem as I see it is that gaming has become another form of ephemeral media, like music and hollywood movies. Very few developers are making games aiming for them to be replayed many years into the future. Owning them therefore has no tangible reward. Especially because they also hold no monetary value (my PS4 collection is testament to that.).
Sorry to come back into this thread, but I've seen the replayability viewpoint before and I don't agree with it at all, if a game has a level of quality it will be replayable because of the experience, aside from branching paths (of which there a lot more games doing that these days) how do you design a game to be replayable other than make it really damn good? I'm just not sure how Super Mario World, one of the greatest games of all time is more replayable than a current game aside from it being really well done? It's a linear experience, but because of the enjoyment it brings people want to go back and play it. I can't imagine people having the same feeling and desire to replay Road Runner's Death Valley Rally.

I think this argument comes up because there's a lot of short games these days that are self-contained pieces designed to be played in a few hours, but those games may largely be constrained my development factors, and with the amount of games out there it's only a segment of what is available.

The replayability seems more like a time issue to me. With so many games released each week, who really has time? When people want to play x game it means I have to finish this one and not go back to it. I could imagine if I was 16 again with no worries and responsibilities I'd want to replay Greedfall again, it has a lot of interesting stuff going on and narrative choices, but now I'm 40 and I just want to play Persona 5 because, despite my dislike of JRPGs, it has me hooked. After that it'll be Danganronpa 3, then Pentiment, then Hollow Knight, then ... And the list goes on. My stepson is 20, I've lost count of how many times he's played Arkham City and AC: Origins, as recently as last year. But he's now taking on some responsibilities and finding other interests, so how likely is he to play them again in the coming years? Not much I'd imagine.

And I also think having subscription services affects replayability, wanting to maximise the value generally would result in wanting to play as many different games as possible, not replaying one, because then the play is buy the game.

We now have the option, put the money down for a game, or a game service. That will naturally affect how people play games or replay them, or people will chose the one that's suits them. I think things feel more ephemeral because it's all digital, buying a physical game (as you say, Switch aside) is pointless, you've just spent £30-70 and you've now got something that's worth £10 and is so mass produced it'll be worth £1 or nothing in a year, you just bought something that takes up space and doesn't even have the full game on the disc. When you buy a digital game, who knows if that service will exist in 5 years? It's a tenuous license.

For me the subscription model suits me at the moment because it matches how I want to play games and it ultimately costs me less, which is a growing factor for everyone I guess.

Last edited:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Sorry to come back into this thread, but I've seen the replayability viewpoint before and I don't agree with it at all, if a game has a level of quality it will be replayable because of the experience, aside from branching paths (of which there a lot more games doing that these days) how do you design a game to be replayable other than make it really damn good? I'm just not sure how Super Mario World, one of the greatest games of all time is more replayable than a current game aside from it being really well done? It's a linear experience, but because of the enjoyment it brings people want to go back and play it. I can't imagine people having the same feeling and desire to replay Road Runner's Death Valley Rally.

I think this argument comes up because there's a lot of short games these days that are self-contained pieces designed to be played in a few hours, but those games may largely be constrained my development factors, and with the amount of games out there it's only a segment of what is available.

The replayability seems more like a time issue to me. With so many games released each week, who really has time? When people want to play x game it means I have to finish this one and not go back to it. I could imagine if I was 16 again with no worries and responsibilities I'd want to replay Greedfall again, it has a lot of interesting stuff going on and narrative choices, but now I'm 40 and I just want to play Persona 5 because, despite my dislike of JRPGs, it has me hooked. After that it'll be Danganronpa 3, then Pentiment, then Hollow Knight, then ... And the list goes on. My stepson is 20, I've lost count of how many times he's played Arkham City and AC: Origins, as recently as last year. But he's now taking on some responsibilities and finding other interests, so how likely is he to play them again in the coming years? Not much I'd imagine.

And I also think having subscription services affects replayability, wanting to maximise the value generally would result in wanting to play as many different games as possible, not replaying one, because then the play is buy the game.

We now have the option, put the money down for a game, or a game service. That will naturally affect how people play games or replay them, or people will chose the one that's suits them. I think things feel more ephemeral because it's all digital, buying a physical game (as you say, Switch aside) is pointless, you've just spent £30-70 and you've now got something that's worth £10 and is so mass produced it'll be worth £1 or nothing in a year, you just bought something that takes up space and doesn't even have the full game on the disc. When you buy a digital game, who knows if that service will exist in 5 years? It's a tenuous license.

For me the subscription model suits me at the moment because it matches how I want to play games and it ultimately costs me less, which is a growing factor for everyone I guess.
I can't remember the context for my original post but judging by what you've said, I 90% agree with you. It largely is a time factor that creates issues (adult life bah!)

My comment did though mention PS4 and to expand on that, I have an annoying personal ossue with that console insofar as two of my controllers have died meaning I don't have the option to play it comfortably. It's also a weird console in a way because it's super awkward to turn on and off. This generation of consoles has massively improves the general experience of playing games IMO.

I still buy games for Switch as they hold value well. Most of mine are RPGs too, which I enjoy owning as they don't tend to be easily bettered by sequels (not say like yearly editions of COD/FIFA).

Good post btw

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Weren't people wanking themselves silly over that hot wheels game?
I dunno, was it a PlayStation exclusive?
Nah it was on Xbox too. @b82REZ loves it and it got some top reviews from some outlets.

I didn't get it personally. Couldn't get to grips with the drifting it felt very inconsistent and the narrow tracks didn't allow for the long drifts and boost rewards I'd like. When I then tried to play tight on the cornering I'd just get overtaken my AI doing things my car wasn't capable of.

I barely unlocked any cars in quite an extended period of play which didn't help.

It should have been right up my street too but it just never clicked. If I can get some mates on now it's on GP I'll give it another go.

b82REZ

Nah it was on Xbox too. @b82REZ loves it and it got some top reviews from some outlets.

I didn't get it personally. Couldn't get to grips with the drifting it felt very inconsistent and the narrow tracks didn't allow for the long drifts and boost rewards I'd like. When I then tried to play tight on the cornering I'd just get overtaken my AI doing things my car wasn't capable of.

I barely unlocked any cars in quite an extended period of play which didn't help.

It should have been right up my street too but it just never clicked. If I can get some mates on now it's on GP I'll give it another go.
It's a top kart racer.

Each car feels different, but on high difficulty or online a lot of the models are redundant because they're too slow.

The track design and mechanics are very good though and it actually has a lot under the surface. Easy to pick up, hard to master. I got to grips with the drifting quite quickly but I've never mastered the flying, which is required for a lot of the shortcuts in time trials.

redcucumber

Vampire Survivors is absolutely fecking wicked. Thought it looked odd but gave it a spin via cloud gaming and I was immediately hooked.

caid

Seems a weird decision to increase the price. Anecdotes i keep hearing is that the PS price puts people off and is being blamed for the likes of Returnal not selling particularly well. Seems that all but the most established ip's are falling below sales expectations at that price. Most 3rd parties seems to have dropped to a lower price.
No idea how accurate any of that is.
Personally just reinforces my thought that, now more than ever, console gaming is overpriced shit compared to pc gaming.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Seems a weird decision to increase the price. Anecdotes i keep hearing is that the PS price puts people off and is being blamed for the likes of Returnal not selling particularly well. Seems that all but the most established ip's are falling below sales expectations at that price. Most 3rd parties seems to have dropped to a lower price.
No idea how accurate any of that is.
Personally just reinforces my thought that, now more than ever, console gaming is overpriced shit compared to pc gaming.
Always has been. Nothing new.

The GP will go up soon enough too, they can't subsidise forever. Then it will get really interesting how it moves forward going into the next gen.

Redlambs

Vampire Survivors is absolutely fecking wicked. Thought it looked odd but gave it a spin via cloud gaming and I was immediately hooked.
It wears off fairly quickly to be honest, but it is a fun little game for sure. Haven't looked on GP to see what they have in the way of similar, but on Steam there's lots of games like this for a couple of quid each.

caid

Always has been. Nothing new.

The GP will go up soon enough too, they can't subsidise forever. Then it will get really interesting how it moves forward going into the next gen.
I think there was a debate back in the PS2 era. It was actually cheaper, there was a library of games that didn't get released on pc, being able to trade in games kept costs down. But yeah its painfully obvious they're a shit alternative that has nothing going for them now.

Redlambs

I think there was a debate back in the PS2 era. It was actually cheaper, there was a library of games that didn't get released on pc, being able to trade in games kept costs down. But yeah its painfully obvious they're a shit alternative that has nothing going for them now.
No, it wasn't. The games still cost more, and you could trade in PC games then too and they were still a lot cheaper even before Steam became a thing (which was about half way through that gen lifecycle IIRC). Also since the PS2 was an oddity (much like the PS3), it made it the worst of the big three consoles due to development (despite being theoretically well above the others) and an equivalent power PC wasn't far off the cost.

Anyway none of that matters really. The fact is this price increase is expected, but not something to fight over as you'd have to be incredibly braindead as a fangirl not to think what one company does, the others will do. That's how it always has and always will be. Like microtransactions, loot crates, yearly reskins, and shite launches, the people will pay so these things will happen.

Ainu

They're complaining about $70, while we over here are getting €80. Was inevitable I guess. Who buys triple A titles at launch price anyway?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
They're complaining about $70, while we over here are getting €80. Was inevitable I guess. Who buys triple A titles at launch price anyway?
All U.S prices are pre-VAT so it works out about the same. And Ragnorak was €75 for me, I think.

But yeah, very, very few big titles are worth the money anymore. It's probably just MS trying to get more people on Gamepass. Why spend that much for a game when you can get it for a tenner a month?

Redlambs

All U.S prices are pre-VAT so it works out about the same. And Ragnorak was €75 for me, I think.

But yeah, very, very few big titles are worth the money anymore. It's probably just MS trying to get more people on Gamepass. Why spend that much for a game when you can get it for a tenner a month?
And when they meet the new sign up threshold...

b82REZ

I regularly buy games at launch.

People seem to think games operate in their own vacuum. It's actually miraculous they stayed around £40/50 for so long. As production costs rise of course that is eventually passed onto the consumer. Also unless you buy digitally the game is usually about £10 less that the RRP.

redcucumber

It wears off fairly quickly to be honest, but it is a fun little game for sure. Haven't looked on GP to see what they have in the way of similar, but on Steam there's lots of games like this for a couple of quid each.
I was thinking about building a PC for this reason but apparently the new consoles are better bang for your buck in terms of hardware.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I was thinking about building a PC for this reason but apparently the new consoles are better bang for your buck in terms of hardware.
Hardware yes, games no outside of the game pass trick

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

People seem to think games operate in their own vacuum. It's actually miraculous they stayed around £40/50 for so long. As production costs rise of course that is eventually passed onto the consumer. Also unless you buy digitally the game is usually about £10 less that the RRP.
Moneybags over here

caid

I dont think they're directly comparable like that. Theres no value in console gaming, they're not a budget option anyway.

Ainu

Regularly? I just can't do it, it's pointless. I've got such an insane backlog that splashing out for a full priced game at launch is a ridiculous waste of money. I mean, maybe at some point during the next year I can finally consider grabbing Elden Ring, that's how hopeless it is. I genuinely don't understand where other people find the time, and I spend a lot of time playing video games.

b82REZ

Moneybags over here
I don't see the issue, honestly. It's my main past time.

People wouldn't bat and eyelid at spending that on a night out. Games offer more value for money than that and you can always trade it when you finish.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

I'd have no problem buying games at launch for that price if they're actually a finished product like Elden Ring and Ragnorak. The problem is so many are basically released in an unfinished state and we're their testers for the next six months while they fix the bugs. Why would I pay for that? it's why pre-ordering is so dumb these days.

I made the mistake of pre-ordering Cyberpunk and playing it at launch, waste of money. Now if you buy it you get a much better game for half the fecking price.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
What else would he spend that money on? He's got no life afterall..

b82REZ

Regularly? I just can't do it, it's pointless. I've got such an insane backlog that splashing out for a full priced game at launch is a ridiculous waste of money. I mean, maybe at some point during the next year I can finally consider grabbing Elden Ring, that's how hopeless it is. I genuinely don't understand where other people find the time, and I spend a lot of time playing video games.
I've bought most third party games I'm interested in at launch.

I am privileged that I do get most first party Sony titles for free, but if I didn't I wouldn't mind dropping the money on them.

I rarely go out drinking or anything so I like to enjoy whatever free time I have. Also helps my fiance is a big gamer so we both get value out of them.

b82REZ

I'd have no problem buying games at launch for that price if they're actually a finished product like Elden Ring and Ragnorak. The problem is so many are basically released in an unfinished state and we're their testers for the next six months while they fix the bugs. Why would I pay for that? it's why pre-ordering is so dumb these days.

I made the mistake of pre-ordering Cyberpunk and playing it at launch, waste of money. Now if you buy it you get a much better game for half the fecking price.
Generally speaking you can tell which games are likely to justify the cost at launch if you're a big gamer.

Obviously there's outliers like CP2077, but I knew Elden Ring would be worth every penny; similarly I knew Calisto Protocol wouldn't.