Gaming Xbox Series X|S

Which of these do you prefer

• Microsoft Game Pass

• Xbox Game Pass

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bojan11

The rumor is that it's going to arrive in installments. If so, I'm out.
Out where?

I don’t care how it arrives as long as the gameplay is solid. If the gameplay is like walking dead then yeah I doubt a lot of people will be interested.

Bojan11

Because rightly or wrongly a triple a AAA game has never been a success when rolled out like that. It screams of tv rather than a huge blockbuster. If that makes sense.
How many AAA games have rolled out like that though? I am talking games with proper gameplay mechanics and not your walking dead.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
How many AAA games have rolled out like that though? I am talking games with proper gameplay mechanics and not your walking dead.
Zero? I think. And that's why I'm suspicious of it.

I should add that these are just rumours, though. It might not even be true.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Because rightly or wrongly a triple a AAA game has never been a success when rolled out like that. It screams of tv rather than a huge blockbuster. If that makes sense.
And TV shows have grown in budgets, in audiences and even in the talent they have attracted as a result of moving to a streaming / subscription model. Gaming is going through a similar sort of thing with Gamepass at least on Xbox and this sort of delivery suits that model

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
And TV shows have grown in budgets, in audiences and even in the talent they have attracted as a result of moving to a streaming / subscription model. Gaming is going through a similar sort of thing with Gamepass.
I hate to make this a 'console war' thing, but one of the reasons Sony is so popular is because they produce massives single player story games. I was thinking that what this was going to be for Xbox.

Bojan11

I hate to make this a 'console war' thing, but one of the reasons Sony is so popular is because they produce massives single player story games. I was thinking that what this was going to be for Xbox.
This is the Series X thread.

Take your Sony crap out of it before I report you to the mods.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Sony are looking to sell consoles, Xbox are looking to sell game pass subscriptions.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
I'm with you.

I think something like WoW is basically a series of games, they just add more to it everytime.

A game released in installments could 100% work. I'm kinda looking forward to what they have in store. The only issue would be the control scheme, remembering it after have a lay off for a year or so :lol: unless it has an "endgame" for each installment where you can still do stuff for fun.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I'm with you.

I think something like WoW is basically a series of games, they just add more to it everytime.

A game released in installments could 100% work. I'm kinda looking forward to what they have in store. The only issue would be the control scheme, remembering it after have a lay off for a year or so :lol: unless it has an "endgame" for each installment where you can still do stuff for fun.
In fairness, most big games kinda do it already. Forza, Ass Creed, Control, Smash, Halo, CoD, etc etc. All update periodically with new DLC/maps/characters intended to elongate play-time.

I'm sure episodic content where the base content is basically its own game would work well. Seems like the idea they're going for.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Zero? I think. And that's why I'm suspicious of it.

I should add that these are just rumours, though. It might not even be true.
Maybe this is a route that means we can actually get big games that are actually finished. Just a positive look at it.

It’s probably to keep people paying for game pass in reality.

Balljy

Maybe this is a route that means we can actually get big games that are actually finished. Just a positive look at it.

It’s probably to keep people paying for game pass in reality.
It's more the route to £15 per episode so you don't realise you've spent £90 on a game. I can't personally see the consumer upside compared to what we have now as the first episode will be unfinished or delayed exactly as it is now. The remaining episodes may be quicker if they've got engine sorted but the overall time ends up longer as per Life is Strange.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It's more the route to £15 per episode so you don't realise you've spent £90 on a game. I can't personally see the consumer upside to the what we have now as the first episode will be unfinished or delayed exactly as it is now. The remaining episodes may be quicker if they've got engine sorted but the overall time ends up longer as per Life is Strange.
This will surely be on game pass, no?

Balljy

This will surely be on game pass, no?
If so that's fine, but not everyone is on game pass. It changes the entire system.

Is £10 a month worth it for Game Pass and this game? The answer is probably yes. Can you play Mass Effect, CyberPunk, GTA5, Control? If not, you have to work out what is on Game Pass and what you actually want to play.

If you do want to play this on Game Pass and it takes 18 months to release the full game that's 18 x £10 and there may not have been much else on there for you in the meantime.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
If so that's fine, but not everyone is on game pass. It changes the entire system.

Is £10 a month worth it for Game Pass and this game? The answer is probably yes. Can you play Mass Effect, CyberPunk, GTA5, Control? If not, you have to work out what is on Game Pass and what you actually want to play.
Well that’s kind of the deal with game pass and where MS are going innit. You can get it for a fair bit cheaper than a tenner a month though.

I’ve basically got it for less than a quid a month not including Xbox Live, which I’d have anyway. If you include what I’d be paying for Xbox Live anyway it’s 4 quid a month.

Balljy

Well that’s kind of the deal with game pass and where MS are going innit. You can get it for a fair cheaper than a tenner a month though.

I’ve basically got it for less than a quid a month not including Xbox Live, which I’d have anyway. If you include what I’d be paying for Xbox Live anyway it’s 4 quid a month.
Ignoring, the price you've got it for, that's the way MS are going and yeah, there's a reason they're going for it. Remember the days when you could get all football on one channel whereas now you need to get Sky, BT Sport, Amazon etc? Subscription is great as long as it's got the games you want to play.

Adamsk7

Does anyone else’s console get quite loud when playing disc games? Maybe it was a one off but I was playing world war z with my mates and just with the disc in but on the main menu, either the drive or the fan was kicking up! It wasn’t anything worrying in terms of noise (I’ve seen some people post crunching etc from the drive), just a louder whirring than usual.
with nothing in the drive it’s whisper quiet.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Ignoring, the price you've got it for, that's the way MS are going and yeah, there's a reason they're going for it. Remember the days when you could get all football on one channel whereas now you need to get Sky, BT Sport, Amazon etc? Subscription is great as long as it's got the games you want to play.
I don’t think it’ll go that way, because the big console guys are in the power position, and they surely won’t allow anything like that to happen. Not for a long time anyway. Game Pass will undoubtedly start going up in price though.

They’ll have to be careful and really have to provide a good product when that starts happening, otherwise people will just buy it for a couple of months at a time and hammer the games they want to play most.

Their best bet would be to get some big online games on there so people are tied in for the lifespan.

But anyway, I can’t see any major downsides happening this generation.

Last edited:

Bojan11

In charge of the project are game director Daniel Neuburger, who was a game director on the Tomb Raider series, and design director Drew Murray, who was the lead designer of Insomniac’s Sunset Overdrive.
The Initiative has also hired a group of God of War designers for Perfect Dark. Chris O’Neill is Perfect Dark’s lead level designer, and The Initiative’s director production, Brian Westergaard, also worked on God of War as senior managing producer
Sean Slayback, who was most recently principal weapons designer at Respawn, is Perfect Dark’s lead systems designer. Slayback worked on Titanfall 1 & 2,plus various Call of Duty titles including Modern Warfare 2, and designed and implemented most weapons in Apex Legends
Christine Thompson, who wrote the campaigns for Destiny 2 and Destiny: Rise of Iron, as well as various expansions, is Perfect Dark’s narrative lead.
Christian Cantamessa, the lead designer of Rockstar’s Red Dead Redemption, is Perfect Dark’s cinematics director. Cantamessa previously co-wrote and directed all of the cinematic sequences for Monolith’s Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor.
In art, Perfect Dark’s lead is Jason Priest, the former art director for 2011’s Homefront and lead environment artist for Insomniac’s Spider-Man
. Ironically, Priest also worked on 2004’s GoldenEye: Rogue Agent, a spiritual successor to the classic FPS which Perfect Dark followed.
Lee Davis, a ten-year veteran of Sony studio Naughty Dog, is Perfect Dark’s lead animator. Davis most recently was in charge of melee animation in
The Last of Us Part 2
Tyler Thornock, the lead technical director for Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End, is Perfect Dark’s principal technical animator.
The Initiative currently has six open positions, including for a game design manager and lead VFX artist.
It’s not yet clear if any of the original Perfect Dark team members will be involved in the new game. However, original developer Rare is likely to provide a small amount of production support for the project and Kenn Lobb, who produced the game at Nintendo, is now creative director of Xbox Game Studios.
https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/analysis-whos-working-on-the-new-perfect-dark/

wr8_utd

:'(
Anyone with a Series S playing Cyberpunk yet? How is the performance and did the patch yesterday help?

hubbuh

Let any Game Pass subscription run out completely if you already have it.

Buy Live Gold from CD Keys (or wherever you can find it cheapest). I think you can do up to 3 years worth. I did 12 months.

Redeem that code on your Xbox so you’ve got Gold.

Go to here (this is the UK site. Find your version if you’re somewhere else). Make sure you’re logged in
https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/live/gold/upgrade

Follow it through. It asks you to subscribe for either a quid or £10.99 depending if you’ve done it before, which made me think I’m going to end up paying that every month straight away, but it was a one off payment which converted all my Gold to Game Pass at 1:1, which would then turn into a subscription at the end of the 12 months.

Turn off recurring payments so it doesn’t turn into said subscription and you can hopefully do it again when it runs out.
Ay @VeevaVee or anyone in the know, when doing this, do I turn recurring payments and get 1 month free on or off?!

hubbuh

I turned recurring payment off so I know when it ends and I can try do it again. Not sure what the 1 month thing is though
Veeva I could kiss ya!!! Game pass ultimate until July 2022 for a poxy quid! Nice one man I'm Happy as Larry.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
So turn it off then do what exactly?
Do this:
Let any Game Pass subscription run out completely if you already have it.

Buy Live Gold from CD Keys (or wherever you can find it cheapest). I think you can do up to 3 years worth. I did 12 months.

Redeem that code on your Xbox so you’ve got Gold.

Go to here (this is the UK site. Find your version if you’re somewhere else). Make sure you’re logged in
https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/live/gold/upgrade

Follow it through. It asks you to subscribe for either a quid or £10.99 depending if you’ve done it before, which made me think I’m going to end up paying that every month straight away, but it was a one off payment which converted all my Gold to Game Pass at 1:1, which would then turn into a subscription at the end of the 12 months.

Turn off recurring payments so it doesn’t turn into said subscription and you can hopefully do it again when it runs out.