Yakubu signs for coventry

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
From the beeb:

League One's bottom club Coventry City have signed former Nigeria striker Yakubu on a free transfer.

The 34-year-old, who has not had a club since leaving Turkish side Kayserispor last year, has signed until the end of the season after a short trial.

"We're pleased to have secured the signing of Yakubu, who brings vast experience and a terrific goal record," said City boss Russell Slade.

The deal is subject to Yakubu receiving international clearance.

"He's a one-in-every-two-games man goals-wise, so we had to be interested," Slade told BBC Coventry & Warwickshire.

In a decade in English football, Yakubu scored 114 times in 293 league appearances, mostly in the top flight, at Portsmouth, Middlesbrough, Everton, Leicester City, Blackburn Rovers and Reading.

He was a target for Boreham Wood earlier in the season, training with the National League side, after returning to England following a spell in the Turkish top flight with Kayserispor.
34 :lol:

His goal scoring record is nothing to bork at though. Any reason why he was never picked up by a bigger club like tottenham or arsenal when he was in his "prime?"

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
The Yak was never good enough for Arsenal or Tottenham.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Seems hard to believe he's still only 34, simply on how long it seems he's been around!

Read a Guardian article that said they had a way of some test to make sure. Some magnetic wave or something?
Apparently one Nigerian under whatever age team suddenly discarded a whole bunch of players before the official test took place :lol:

Devil81

He's not 34 years of age, not a chance, he's well into his 40's.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I'm sure I've seen a picture of him and Obafemi Martins during the Nigerian civil war! Geriatric bastards!

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I always rated him. But don't think he was good enough for a top team.

arthurka

Yeboah had the same issue with age looked well old but had a passport.. Nigerian passports arent worth the papers they are printed on...

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
Was excellent once he had the ball under control. He just had an awful awful first touch
No he never.
I'd say his touch, link up play and especially his finishing where all of high quality. He was just to lazy and static to make the step up.

Andy Jones

Supports
SUNDERLAND
I'm surprised Moyes didn't invite us to sign for us along with Hibbert. Would fit in well with Lescott, Oviedo, Gibson, Anichebe et al.

Devil81

I'm surprised Moyes didn't invite us to sign for us along with Hibbert. Would fit in well with Lescott, Oviedo, Gibson, Anichebe et al.
Gotta admit I'm surprised Hibbert wasn't signed on a short term deal.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
All of this action in a 20 minute sub appearance :lol:

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I can't actually believe what I have just seen :lol:

FC Ronaldo

He only came on after 70 minutes too :lol:

Ixion

Guys he's being smart and not wasting his energy, closing down players and making runs just tires you out for no reason.

FC Ronaldo

Can we update the thread title to something like: Yakubu walks for Coventry

@SalfordRed18 or mods?

Ban

There's a guy who says something to him at the end of the video but he's just like - I can't do anything.

Devil81

Surely they can't play a player in such bad condition, he's not only not moving, he's clearly refusing to run.

Devil81

To be fair, I watched Januzaj do something similar against Burnley three years ago. He sulked around the pitch like a lazy school boy not happy about playing the cold.

Brophs

The One and Only
Jesus, lads, ease up. I'd like to see you lot playing football when you're 67.