Yerry Mina

Schneckerl

If a team like Barcelona, known for their eye for talent, wants to sell you after one season and brings another player on your position, it says it all.
Besides can't miss players like Neymar or Suarez their transfers have been terrible in the past 5 years or so. Not saying they are wrong on this one though, he hasn't performed for them.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Got serious potential. Looks tailor made for the Premier League. If he makes the right move and gets the right manager and central defensive partner, his reputation could grow quite quickly.

Castia

If he's cheaper than McGuire, then I'm all for it. £70million odd is a joke for him.

Mina is a colossal at heading, seems to read the game well and looks to have both strength and speed.

He's gonna be cheaper because he's half the player.

The last thing we need is another mediocre defender we already have 6 of those in the squad.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

The last thing we need is another mediocre defender we already have 6 of those in the squad.
I seriously doubt he is half the player of Maguire. I rate Maguire highly, but that's a bit harsh on the Mina lad. Given there is only really the world cup to go on and 5 or 6 Barca games, I'm not sure how you can say that.

Ekeke

He's not half the defender, because half of Maguire's defensive capabilities would be a championship CB. And not a good one

Nick7

He's not half the defender, because half of Maguire's defensive capabilities would be a championship CB. And not a good one
I know you dislike Maguire, but you really shouldn't be basing your thoughts on Mina on just the world cup, one match at that. He's not a good defender. He's not even close to as good as Maguire.

Full disclosure, I don't like either. But Maguire is a better player.

Castia

Yeah ok.

Mina will be lucky to get a club like Everton he’s not even on Rojo’s level which says enough.

But yeah let’s sign Mina him and Jones at the back will carry us to an easy PL win.

Ekeke

I know you dislike Maguire, but you really shouldn't be basing your thoughts on Mina on just the world cup, one match at that. He's not a good defender. He's not even close to as good as Maguire.

To be clear I dont rate Maguire as a particularly fantastic CB because his defending leaves a lot to be desired, particularly his positioning and getting caught up the pitch and never getting back into his defensive position on opponent attacks. I dont dislike him. I've never met him, he might be a really nice guy

Mina as I said previously, I havent seen enough of him but he was solid enough against England to know that he's not a championship level CB. I didnt say he's better than Maguire, I just pointed out that its silly to say that hes half as good as Maguire as a defender because Maguire isnt particularly good himself and half as good would be absolutely useless.

It is weird though that almost everyone is hyping Maguire up based on the world cup alone but its not okay to do that with Mina too. I'm not doing that but it does seem weird. From what I did see he's a young CB with major assets and potential. No idea if he would do better than Rojo but at 23 and a lot lower price than other CBs he seems worth a try for someone

Nick7

To be clear I dont rate Maguire as a particularly fantastic CB because his defending leaves a lot to be desired, particularly his positioning and getting caught up the pitch and never getting back into his defensive position on opponent attacks. I dont dislike him. I've never met him, he might be a really nice guy

Mina as I said previously, I havent seen enough of him but he was solid enough against England to know that he's not a championship level CB. I didnt say he's better than Maguire, I just pointed out that its silly to say that hes half as good as Maguire as a defender because Maguire isnt particularly good himself and half as good would be absolutely useless.

It is weird though that almost everyone is hyping Maguire up based on the world cup alone but its not okay to do that with Mina too. I'm not doing that but it does seem weird. From what I did see he's a young CB with major assets and potential. No idea if he would do better than Rojo but at 23 and a lot lower price than other CBs he seems worth a try for someone
I mean, people may have seen him at Leicester but I agree. I'm loathe to buy anyone following a world cup. It's one of those weird things that never pan out.

On your point of being half as good as Maguire, I agree that, that would be absolutely useless and that's my thoughts on Mina. He's Phil Jones, but more uncoordinated and not as good in my view. If we sign Mina we're signing another centre back that encapsulates our problems at the back. At least Maguire can pass so I can understand links to him.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I think we may be targeting him if Smalling has a more serious knock, doesn't seem that we care about being able to pass - it's more about aerial ability from who we've been linked with.

cyberman

I like him.
He's a monster in the air and looks to be quite mobile.
He'd suit the PL very well. If we plug the goals conceded from set pieces we would already take a huge step forward.

Alfie092

Is he good on the ball? How quick is he?

Haven't seen enough of him so cannot judge.

champp1nho

I can't even describe the feeling if we are trying to get Maguire or Alderweireld and end up gettin Mina. Everything is going wrong and if this is the case it's just the cherry on top of all this awful nightmare of a transfer window.

Last edited by a moderator:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I mean, people may have seen him at Leicester but I agree. I'm loathe to buy anyone following a world cup. It's one of those weird things that never pan out.
Didn't we buy Rooney and Rio after a WC showcase? Then Vidic, after captaining that Serbia side with the least conceded goal on WC Qualification?

Castia

No better than Jones or Rojo...completely pointless signing.

Classical Mechanic

Didn't we buy Rooney and Rio after a WC showcase? Then Vidic, after captaining that Serbia side with the least conceded goal on WC Qualification?
We didn't buy Rooney or Rio just based off a single tournament. Rooney had been coveted by the club ever since he scored something like 20 goals for Everton in a single youth game for Everton against us. Rio was playing in a very good Leeds side at CL level too.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
We didn't buy Rooney or Rio just based off a single tournament. Rooney had been coveted by the club ever since he scored something like 20 goals for Everton in a single youth game for Everton against us. Rio was playing in a very good Leeds side at CL level too.
Yes, agreed we had interest before that. But we waited right until we saw their performance at WC though. Their price should be cheaper before the good WC.

maltrain

I saw Mina a lot of times, even before his Barcelona move, and I can say it should be a great signing for United. Clearly, better than Maguire (a very overrated player in my opinion), Smalling, Jones or Rojo.
And for 35m it's a bargain these days.

Mr. Meeseeks

Not sure what the fuss is all about. He looks like he is among the best of what is available on the market at the moment. Given how inflated Maguires price is, he would be a good alternative.

For those who are sneering at this signing, who would you rather have? Maguire’s price is 20 million above his market value, and Levi would demand Martial for Alderweireld if we are to get him for anywhere near his value (or else we would be overpaying again). Who else is out there?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Not sure what the fuss is all about. He looks like he is among the best of what is available on the market at the moment. Given how inflated Maguires price is, he would be a good alternative.

For those who are sneering at this signing, who would you rather have? Maguire’s price is 20 million above his market value, and Levi would demand Martial for Alderweireld if we are to get him for anywhere near his value (or else we would be overpaying again). Who else is out there?
Aren't you looking for an improvement on your current options? This guy isn't that, he would just be another option. The likes of Alderweireld and Maguire (despite his detractors eager to claim he's a pub player despite being recognised as exceptional wherever he's played) do come in and improve you. Going for the cheap option isn't always the best way, you might as well sign nobody if this is the alternative.

Micky Targaryen

I agree to a certain extent that we shouldn't base Mina solely on his World Cup performances, but how many times have you seen Mina play for Barcelona, given that he only has 6 appearances in La Liga? Just curious why people are so against this signing. You'd think he is the next Titus Bramble the way some are going on here. For those against signing Mina, did you guys follow his career from the Brazilian league to Barcelona?

I admit I know next to nothing about Mina aside from the World Cup (of which he was impressive btw), but I sooner trust Jose and his track record of defensive signings.

Mr. Meeseeks

Aren't you looking for an improvement on your current options? This guy isn't that, he would just be another option. The likes of Alderweireld and Maguire (despite his detractors eager to claim he's a pub player despite being recognised as exceptional wherever he's played) do come in and improve you. Going for the cheap option isn't always the best way, you might as well sign nobody if this is the alternative.
Maguire is regarded as exceptional right now, but a year ago he was just another promising defender. If we had signed him then, the same doubters would have had a moan about us signing someone unknown/unproven. A lot can happen in one season.

Mina looks like he has all the attributes to become a success. He looks good on the ball and is better in the air than any of our other targets. He is strong and has good all round play. He would offer a better aerial threat than any of our current defenders and so he is an improvement in that sense. I am not a scout so I can’t judge him with any confidence beyond that, but I don’t think he looks that far off from Maguire’s level.

Given the choice, I’d choose Maguire (If the club isn’t taken advantage of in terms of price). But if the club’s scouts see something in Mina then I am all for the signing.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Maguire is regarded as exceptional right now, but a year ago he was just another promising defender. If we had signed him then, the same doubters would have had a moan about us signing someone unknown/unproven. A lot can happen in one season.

Mina looks like he has all the attributes to become a success. He looks good on the ball and is better in the air than any of our other targets. He is strong and has good all round play. He would offer a better aerial threat than any of our current defenders and so he is an improvement in that sense. I am not a scout so I can’t judge him with any confidence beyond that, but I don’t think he looks that far off from Maguire’s level.

Given the choice, I’d choose Maguire (If the club isn’t taken advantage of in terms of price). But if the club’s scouts see something in Mina then I am all for the signing.
He was excellent for Hull (their standout player), earned a move to Leicester where he became their player of the season according to both his teammates and the fans. Even a year ago the teams he had played for he had been a success for, more than can be said for Mina.

He's not good on the ball at all. He's strong in the air and would score a few a season from set pieces, but defensively he's not great at all. He had a good world cup, but he was a disaster when he actually got on the pitch for Barcelona. There's a reason they rated him so terribly, and they have better scouts than probably any club in the world. He was impressive (from what I've heard) in the Brazillian League but that doesn't always translate to Europe, Barcelona seem to have realised this and want rid quick. He has attributes but

He wouldn't even be cheap because Barca will cash in on his world cup showings, if he had been poor in the tournament you could have got him for peanuts. He could be a success but I'd be very surprised if he came in and was an upgrade over say Smalling, and surely that's what you're after? To go from Maguire and Alderweireld, two genuine improvements, to Mina would very understandably be a big disappointment for your fans.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Seen a few people say he's 'good on the ball'. Can I ask what you guys are basing this on? He looks clumsy whenever I've seen him and I think that's a big part of why Barcelona are so keen to offload.

ti vu

Seen a few people say he's 'good on the ball'. Can I ask what you guys are basing this on? He looks clumsy whenever I've seen him and I think that's a big part of why Barcelona are so keen to offload.
How much have you seen him?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
How much have you seen him?
For Barca and in the World Cup. Admittedly a small sample size, but if a player is comfortable on the ball you can generally tell, he's never looked like a defender who wants the ball at his feet when I've watched him. Maybe it was different in the Brazillian league but that's not really relevant if he can't replicate that in European leagues. If that's what people are basing claims that he's good on the ball on, it seems a little bit weak.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Before the world cup there were quite a few on here touting him as a potential gem that might breakout at the tournament. I remember because I kept an eye on him off the back of the comments. Now you'd think we're signing a league 2 defender.

Given that he's not played much at Barca, how are so many so clued up on this guy? Because nobody is writing him off or forming concrete opinions based on the world cup surely.

prateik

Before the world cup there were quite a few on here touting him as a potential gem that might breakout at the tournament. I remember because I kept an eye on him off the back of the comments. Now you'd think we're signing a league 2 defender.

Given that he's not played much at Barca, how are so many so clued up on this guy? Because nobody is writing him off or forming concrete opinions based on the world cup surely.
Really?
I saw him play a couple of times for Barca and he looked terrible..
Hardly a large sample size.. but I don't remember anyone rating Mina

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

I don't think he's that bad, I just don't think he's a genuine upgrade on your current options, and if your fans are frustrated with Smalling's ability on the ball then from what I've seen of this guy he's absolutely no better. Whenever I've seen him from Barca (watched the Levante game from the start as had Barca in an accy) he's been positionally a disaster. He obviously has the physical tools and can score a few headers but I haven't seen anything to convince me he's a player who could improve any of the teams in the top four.

Barca have an eye for talent and are very quickly keen to get rid. Who was touting him as a gem? He was really bad for them and they probably weren't going to get much in terms of a transfer fee.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Anyway from what I've seen there are no actual links to Mina, it's all pure media speculation, so is it really true that Jose likes him? I doubt it personally, can see him moving to a much lesser team (maybe an Everton) because I don't think he's at all ready for a side like United, just like he wasn't ready for Barca.

ZAKU-RED

Supports
Barcelona
I feel like his transfer came at a rather bad time honestly with the second half of the season kicking off and coming from Brazil and he didn't play a lot before he came here due to a foot injury if I remember correctly. I always felt the odds were against him and I felt Valverde didn't rate him from the get go.

Valverde's first choice to reinforce the defense was Inigo Martinez and we came close to buying him at his request but we decided against it at the last minute as we felt paying his buyout clause (32 Million euros) was a bit to much.

Yerry came in after Mascherano left and Valverde talked about how he needed t to adapt and it will take time. Despite Pique having knee problems and Umtiti looking half fit at times, Yerry nor Verm featured as much as I thought they should have. Especially Verm, who came back from that minor injury he got vs Betis he rarely was featured despite his good form.

That Levante game is a total disaster on his part but also a good portion of the team was just awful that game as well. He's defensively raw but still IMO a really good talent, probably just doesn't fit what we need and would probably fit in well with a team that doesn't play a High Line.

Reactions: KM

haram

Why would Barca sign a player that’s shit on the ball though?

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
The few matches I saw from Yerry, he was sloppy and slow. Don't fit in the kind of CB that Barcelona is used to, but it was fairly cheap. I hope gets transferred this summer. I don't see it as a good prospect for Barcelona