Young footballers who get to play with or against their idols.

simplyared

Seeing Cavani and Greenwood made me think about what it must be like for young footballers to play alongside or against someone they may have idolized as a youngster.

Greenwood’s idol was in fact Wayne Rooney and they never played in the same team. However they were both at the club together for a period of time.

When Greenwood was 9-11 yrs old Cavani was averaging 35 goals per season for Napoli and was considered one of the most lethal strikers in the world.

Imagine what it must be like for young players like Greenwood living the dream and playing alongside their idols or role models.

Had a look at some other examples of this and found some interesting combinations of players past and present. Some got to play with their idols and some didn’t.

Here’s one that I liked!

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Mbappe was a massive CR7 fan growing up.

I think they've against each other for their nation teams on a couple of occasions.

No Love

Ian Wright was a big influence on Jermain Defoe at West Ham, I believe. Think I recall Defoe saying that he wasn’t an Arsenal fan as a child, but idolised Wright.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I've read somewhere that Rashford wears #10 because of Rooney and they got to play together for a couple of seasons.