Your all-time United xi that excludes all Busby and Ferguson breakthrough or purchased players?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Reduces the pool tremendously and a different take on the all-time theme.

Much more challenging if you're only working with post-Fergie era players.

You can obviously go with the extended pool, or go only with what you've seen and been raised with - two very different looking sides, I reckon!

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Bailey

Carey Buchan McGrath Albiston

Muhren Wilkins Robson Moses

Hughes Whiteside

• Bailey. While I still blame him for losing the Cup Final to Arsenal, he was actually a decent goalie
  • Strong defence - McGrath better than Vidic (as strong but MUCH better on the ball) and the Rolls Royce before Rio. Two mass appearance legends at FB (I don’t think Carey was a Busby buy or promoted?)
  • The only midfield behind Giggs/Keane/Scholes/Beckham (and one of them is not behind)
  • Gone for pure power up front (Jordan was another similar option). Hughes and Whiteside loved a great goal and in key matches/moments… younger fans missed out on Whiteside, a freak of nature
That team (at their peak) would tear our current side to pieces. Though probably get a few reds via VAR too…

the chameleon

Bailey

Hughes Whiteside

• Bailey. While I still blame him for losing the Cup Final to Arsenal, he was actually a decent goalie
  • Strong defence - McGrath better than Vidic (as strong but MUCH better on the ball) and the Rolls Royce before Rio. Two mass appearance legends at FB (I don’t think Carey was a Busby buy or promoted?)
  • The only midfield behind Giggs/Keane/Scholes/Beckham (and one of them is not behind)
  • Gone for pure power up front (Jordan was another similar option). Hughes and Whiteside loved a great goal and in key matches/moments… younger fans missed out on Whiteside, a freak of nature
That team (at their peak) would tear our current side to pieces. Though probably get a few reds via VAR too…
Good team, only would replace Muhren with Coppell on the right.

Mainoonited

I was in nappies when SAF took over our club. So my side is going to be signings post SAF.

Romero
AWB Maguire Martinez Shaw
Matic Casemiro
Bruno Pogba Rashford
Ibrahimovic
I don't think Rashford counts

Good team, only would replace Muhren with Coppell on the right.
I picked the midfield as a foursome as much as individuals… a right mix of abilities that gelled into some thing special.

I liked Coppell but the Liverpool link was always there (irrational I know). If I was going to break that four, I’d go Daly, beautiful player.

Shout out to Pearson too… but cant see past Hughes and Whiteside. As likely to kick someone as score a goal of the season contender

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
I'm not knowledgeable enough to pick anyone other than Robson and post Fergie players:

Onana
AWB Blind Martinez Shaw
Herrera Robson
Mata Bruno Rashford
Ibrahimovic
That's not very good :lol:

Last edited:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I'm not knowledgeable enough to pick anyone other than Robson and post Fergie players:

Onana
AWB Smalling Martinez Shaw
Herrera Robson
Mata Bruno Rashford
Ibrahimovic
Smalldini is a legend to be fair.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'm still thinking of mine, but I just wanted to shout out Ian Storey-Moore. I don't think he'd get into my 11 because, unfortunately, his career was cut short, but every time I've gone back to watch classic games with him playing, I've always thought he looked amazing.

I don't know if he would've gone on to be classed as one of our greatest ever, but I definitely think the potential was there. Even though he joined during our decline, with Charlton, Law and Best outside of their prime (though Best could still turn it on when the motivation was there), I still think it's a huge credit to him that there were games where he was our best player on the pitch.

Just wanted to give him a little mention as he's kinda forgotten about.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Bailey

Hughes Whiteside

Great team you selected. I would probably sneak Strachan in there somehow

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
GK: Romero
RB: Schweinsteiger
CB: Martinez
CB: Varane
LB: Blind
CDM: Casemiro
CDM: Matic
CAM: Mata
LW: Cavani
ST: Ibrahimovic
RW: Di Maria

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Heavily on players post SAF:

S. Romero

Varane -- McGrath --- Martinez

Herrera --Casemiro -- Robson-- Shaw

Bruno -- Ibra --- Cavani
Edit: Didn't realize that Shaw was post SAF.

Last edited:

Chipper

Adulterer.
Difficult, but I've come up with this:

-----------------Bailey
Carey--McGrath--Buchan--Shaw
-----------Matic--Robson
-----------------Bruno
Coppell--Stan Pearson--Rowley

Obviously not seen the likes of Carey, Rowley or Pearson. Buchan or Coppell either for that matter although I've seen footage. I'm mostly going off reputations with those 5.

I'm not Shaw's biggest fan, but I don't remember being enthused by Albiston either when I was a kid. I only saw the tail end of his United career though and I was rather young. The rest of the back 4 picks itself.

Robson is a must of course.

Coppell is more of a 4-4-2 winger, but I was struggling for options on the left in that formation so fudged him into a 4-3-3. Despite him not exactly being popular, Rashford becomes a big shout for the left (if he counts), but I've gone with Rowley. Could play as a central striker or wide left so I'm sure he can play there in a modern 4-3-3.

Wanted to put Hughes in, one of my all-time favourite players. I decided to go for someone a little more prolific in Stan Pearson to make up for Coppell's relative lack of goals in the end although there's not much in it goals per game-wise between him and Sparky. Besides, Hughes could drop deep as well as leading the line, and if he does I don't want him dropping into the space that an AM would already be in, could get in each other's way. Hughes would suit a 4-4-2 more.

Now I need an AM and DM. Thought about Mcilroy for AM but stuck Bruno in there. He's another who isn't exactly popular or a favourite of mine but he gets the nod.

Just need a DM now to try and add some balance to midfield. Past his best when he came here, but I did like Matic.

Nice little blend of 3 pre -Busby signings, 5 in-betweeners, 3 post-Ferguson.

Last edited:

Blood Mage

Romero
AWB - Varane - Martinez - Shaw
Casemiro - Robson
Mata - Bruno - Rashford
Ibrahimovic
Not familiar enough with most pre-Ferguson players although I have seen plenty of footage of Robson and it was obvious that he was special so I had to put him in there.

RedTiger

Half mast
Bailey

Hughes Whiteside

Good team. I'd have Coppell in there somehow, most likely over Muhren, i'd also have Romero over Bailey.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Walsh
Viv
McGrath
Martinez
Shaw
Robson
Whiteside
Moses
Hughes
Olsen
Strachan

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

• Manager: Ernest Mangnall.
  • Substitutes: Allenby Chilton, Luke Shaw, Arnold Mühren, Gordon Strachan, Billy Meredith, Norman Whiteside, Stan Pearson, Marcus Rashford, Joe Spence.

OleGunnar20

Post Fergie, based on ability alone (not mentality / character) in a one-game sort of scenario:

Romero
Bruno - Casemiro - Pogba
Di Maria - Hojlund - Rashford

Greenwood or Ibra could sneak in there, but I really rate Hojlund in a good team. I can't believe AWB is in there ..

If you had to take mentality / injuries into account over a full season I'd probably switch it up to:

Romero
Casemiro - Fred
Bruno
Hojlund - Ibra - Rashford

Redfrog

I was in nappies when SAF took over our club. So my side is going to be signings post SAF.

Romero
AWB Maguire Martinez Shaw
Matic Casemiro
Bruno Pogba Rashford
Ibrahimovic
I don't think Rashford counts
Slowest team ever.

black country red

I picked the midfield as a foursome as much as individuals… a right mix of abilities that gelled into some thing special.

I liked Coppell but the Liverpool link was always there (irrational I know). If I was going to break that four, I’d go Daly, beautiful player.

Shout out to Pearson too… but cant see past Hughes and Whiteside. As likely to kick someone as score a goal of the season contender
Regarding the Liverpool link to the great Steve coppell sir Matt played for them

JediSith

Bailey
Albiston McGrath Varane Shaw
Coppell Robson Casemiro Garnacho
Huges Zlatan

Bondi77

Bailey
Viv
McGrath
Buchan
Albiston
Robbo
Wilkins
Coppell
Sparky
Stapleton
Hill.

Lentwood

GK - Sergio Romero
RB - AWB
LB - Luke Shaw
CB - Harry Maguire
CB - Lisandro Martinez
CM - Bryan Robson
CM - Casemiro
AMC - Bruno Fernandes
AMR - Antony
AML - AdM
ST - Mark Hughes

Bwuk

I can only really do post-Ferguson.

Romero
Dalot - Varane - Martinez - Shaw
Casemiro - Herrera
di Maria - Bruno - Rashford
Ibrahimovic​

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22

Onana
AWB Smalling Martinez Shaw
Herrera Robson
Mata Bruno Rashford
Ibrahimovic
Fergie signed Smalling

Pre-Fergie is my dad’s era, so I’m thinking of names he loved talking about from Tommy Doc’s side: Jimmy Greenhoff, Stuart Pearson, Gordon Hill, Martin Buchan, Steve Coppell. I do remember the tail end of big Ron’s tenure, with great players like Paul McGrath, Norman Whiteside, Mark Hughes, Jesper Olsen, Gordon Strachan, and of course Bryan Robson.

You’d get a good team out of those, and that’s without mentioning the post-Fergie era.

Al-T

Romero

Nicholl Buchan McQueen Albiston

Strachan Robson Whiteside Hill

Hughes Jimmy Greenhoff.

Denis79

Romero

Nicholl Varane Buchan Shaw

Strachan Whiteside Robson Di Maria

Ibrahimovic Hughes

Moriarty

Jimmy Greenhoff has to be in there. Would Sammy Mac count? Called the last Busby Babe but it was Frank O'Farrell that gave him his debut at Maine Road. Some game that was too.

Last edited:
Jimmy Greenhoff has to be in there. Would Sammy Mac count? Called the last Busby Babe but it was Frank O'Farrell that gave him his debut at Maine Road. Some game that was too.
Busby bought Sammy Mac.

Liked Greenhoff, very underrated graceful player but definitely wouldn’t pick him over Hughes or (slightly biased here maybe) Whiteside… it might have only been a couple of decent seasons but lad was a monster. If he hadn’t had the injuries….