Your best PL XI over the last decade

Cloud7

It's international break time! And that means discussion of completely random things about football that wouldn't cross your mind otherwise if there was the usual football going on. With this being the start of a new decade, it's a worthwhile time to revisit the decade gone by in PL football, and think about just who were the best of the best for you, and fit them into a starting eleven (I think it's been a while since we had one of these). To give this question some more direction, rather than just shoehorning players in, if this team you made had to come up against a La Liga or Bundesliga XI for the last decade, what would your team be?

For me I'll go with a 4-2-3-1

----------------------------DDG---------------------------
Walker----Kompany----Vidic----Baines
-------------Fernandinho----Kante-----------
David Silva--------De Bruyne----------Hazard
--------------------------Van Persie------------------

Bench: Alisson, VVD, Azpilicueta, Carrick, Fabregas, Sanchez, Rooney

Dolf

I'd probably swap David Silva for Rooney and Kompany for VVD but agree with the rest. Looks like a great team. RvP and De Bruyne would be a deadly combination.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
de Gea

Walker
Kompany
van Dijk
Azplilicueta

De Bruyne
Fernandinho
D. Silva
Hazard

Aguero
Kane

subs - Cech, Baines, Terry, Kante, Toure, Mane, Vardy

Players like Vidic, Rio, Evra, Rooney, RVP, Gerrard, Lampard, etc were all finished at the top level by about 2013. Not long enough at the top level to go into a team of the decade.

Last edited:

Cloud7

Players like Vidic, Rio, Evra, Rooney, RVP, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry etc were all finished at the top level by about 2013. Not long enough at the top level to go into a team of the decade. They’d all be contenders for a team if the 00s. Van Persie may be the one who could get on the bench as he was incredible from 10-13 but had completely fell off by 2014.
I thought about this, but then I figured that looking at it that way would give too much of a bias to the latter part of the decade, when there were still some outstanding performances in the early part. For example, in our title win in 2010-2011 Vidic was fantastic (I think that was the year he made it into the world XI), and RVP arguably had his best years for Arsenal after the turn of the decade, when he finally stopped being injured all the time, culminating in that amazing season for us. If I had to factor in their longevity throughout the decade, then I would have Aguero over RVP and VVD over Vidic.

Cloud7

I'd probably swap David Silva for Rooney and Kompany for VVD but agree with the rest. Looks like a great team. RvP and De Bruyne would be a deadly combination.
One thing I think Kompany has in spades that VVD lacks is leadership. I'm not saying that VVD is a bad leader, as he's clearly the leader in that Liverpool defense, but Kompany was one of those players that lifted the entire team, and scored a great many important goals for City.

Khalif_20

Vintage style diamond, like Milan back in the day:

-------Mané---Salah
--------------Özil
-----Pogba-----Yaya
------------Kante
Evra--VVD--Kompany---TAA
----------De Gea

Manager: Klopp

Pretty much unstoppable - Özil, PP and Yaya all feeding wonderful killer balls to Mané/Salah up front, Evra and TAA dominating the flanks while the defensive triangle Kante/VVD/Kompany is unpenetrable.

The only problem is De Gea's distribution, gegenpress diamond system requires a ball-playing sweeping GK.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Yeah I did my team with longevity over the decade in mind. If we’re just talking about quality over 1 season then Vidic, Yaya, Bale & RVP would be in.

Cloud7

I hate him but surely Suarez should be there no? Far better than Hazard..
See that's the great thing about this discussion, everyone will have a different team in mind :)

While Suarez is an outstanding player, probably the third best player over the last decade, I would argue that he did most of his best work at Barcelona. He was brilliant in that season they almost won the league, but most of his goals then came against the small teams etc. Hazard destroyed everyone in the league at some point or another.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
4-4-2 with
DDG
Walker - Kompany - Cahill - Baines??
Kante - Fernandinho
Debruyne Hazard
Aguero Harry Kane

Subs: Courtois, Azpi, Adewerield, Fabregas, Silva, Suarez, Van Persie.
LB has been really lacking in the last decade. RW too.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
I would go with peak form rather than whole decade.

Goalie- DDG(2017-18)
RB- TAA(2019/20)
CB-VVD(2018-19)
CB-Vidic(2010-11)
LB-Robertson(2018-19)
CM-Kevin De Bruyne(2017-18)
DM-Kante(2016-17)
CM-David Silva(2011-12)
RF-Salah(2017-18)
CF-Suarez(2013-14)
LF-Hazard(2016-17)

Yes defensively can be a suspect due to two attacking fullbacks and two attacking midfielders, but I don't care.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
See that's the great thing about this discussion, everyone will have a different team in mind :)

While Suarez is an outstanding player, probably the third best player over the last decade, I would argue that he did most of his best work at Barcelona. He was brilliant in that season they almost won the league, but most of his goals then came against the small teams etc. Hazard destroyed everyone in the league at some point or another.
I think the vague nature of the OP doesn't help, is it longevity or peak that matters most?

Cloud7

I think the vague nature of the OP doesn't help, is it longevity or peak that matters most?
Some mix of the two I’d say. For example I wouldn’t have a one season wonder like Michu in here, but at the same time I wouldn’t discount RVP who was excellent from 2010-2013/14 or so for example.

What actually matters the most is that this thread has been a welcome distraction from what I should be doing today. :lol:

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Some mix of the two I’d say. For example I wouldn’t have a one season wonder like Michu in here, but at the same time I wouldn’t discount RVP who was excellent from 2010-2013/14 or so for example.

What actually matters the most is that this thread has been a welcome distraction from what I should be doing today. :lol:
Haha fair enough, someone like me thinks quite linearly in that I need to know if it's peak or longevity but it does make for more interesting discussion, I don't think VVD get's near it for me either way, Vidic & Kompany are both far superior they just were alive in a time of lots of good defenders and now they have disappeared.

Other mentions should be Vardy and Milner (If longevity counts)

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
De Gea

TAA
Van Dijk
Vidic/Kompany
Robertson

Yaya Toure
KdB
Kante

Salah
Kane
Hazard

Zlatattack

Vintage style diamond, like Milan back in the day:

-------Mané---Salah
--------------Özil
-----Pogba-----Yaya
------------Kante
Evra--VVD--Kompany---TAA
----------De Gea

Manager: Klopp

Pretty much unstoppable - Özil, PP and Yaya all feeding wonderful killer balls to Mané/Salah up front, Evra and TAA dominating the flanks while the defensive triangle Kante/VVD/Kompany is unpenetrable.

The only problem is De Gea's distribution, gegenpress diamond system requires a ball-playing sweeping GK.
Kante would die of a heart attack if he had to do all the covering for that midfield.

OleBoiii

Vidic, Evra and Carrick are often overlooked in these. I think it's easy to forget that we were still the best team in the country for the first 30% of the decade.

I'd definitely put Vidic in there.
Evra was world class in the beginning and good up until the middle of 2014. That puts him ahead of Robertson, but maybe behind Azpilicueta. It's a tough call.
Carrick vs Kante is also a tough one. Kante may be edging he's been good for longer in the 2010's. If it's based on career as a whole(so far), then it's Carrick any day of the week though.

No Love

De Gea

Azpilicueta
Kompany
van Dijk
Baines

Kante
De Bruyne
David Silva

Salah
Aguero
Hazard

EDIT: Have to include David Silva, now that I think about it.

archiebald

Cech

TAA
Kompany
Alderweireld
Baines

Kante
Dilva

Salah
KDB
Hazard

Aguero

Web of Bissaka

People forgetting Bale?
Aguero
Kane
Bale -- D. Silva -- Hazard
Kante
Evra -- VVD -- Kompany -- Azpili
De Gea
The last decade is basically divided into three different period, with players in general peaked in just one before leaving or declining. So it's best to choose the ones that play great/good in most, while still undoubtedly also picking the primes at each period. De Gea, Aguero, Azpi and DSilva are the best longest ones.

RB is the most difficult one so I'll just stick Azpi there even if he actually play most games at LB. He was used across all positions at the back.

OleBoiii

Any team not featuring DDG, Silva, Aguero and Kane are just wrong.

--------------------- DDG -----------------
T.A.A - Vidic - Kompany - Azpi
------------------ Carrick ----------------
------------- Toure - Silva -------------
------ Hazard - Kane - Aguero ---

Bench:
Cech, Van Djik, Evra, Kante, Salah, Sterling, Vardy

Manager: Ole( :devil: )

Last edited:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
de Gea

Walker
Kompany
van Dijk
Azplilicueta

De Bruyne
Fernandinho
D. Silva
Hazard

Aguero
Kane

subs - Cech, Baines, Terry, Kante, Toure, Mane, Vardy

Players like Vidic, Rio, Evra, Rooney, RVP, Gerrard, Lampard, etc were all finished at the top level by about 2013. Not long enough at the top level to go into a team of the decade.
I think RVP should make it somewhere as his 11/12 and 12/13 season's were ridiculous but agreed about the rest you mentioned they have no place in a 10s team, would argue Courtois on the bench over Cech aswell.

I'd probably say the same as the OPs team but VVD and Azpi in for Vidic and Baines and Aguero in probably ahead of Silva and go for a diamond.

Paul_Scholes18

DDG/Lloris
Walker/Valencia Kompany/Evans Verthongen/Alderweireld Kolarov/Baines
Carrick/Henderson
De Bruyne/Toure D Silva/Kante
Salah/Mane Aguero/Kane Hazard/Sterling

Web of Bissaka

Any team not featuring DDG, Silva, Aguero and Kane are just wrong.

--------------------- DDG -----------------
T.A.A - Vidic - Kompany - Azpi
------------------ Carrick ----------------
------------- Toure - Silva -------------
------ Hazard - Kane - Aguero ---

Bench:
Cech, Van Djik, Evra, Kante, Salah, Vardy, ??? (I struggle to choose the last one)

Manager: Ole( :devil: )
Good team, not sure if TAA should be there considering he's suspect defensively and..

:D That last one.

??? (I struggle to choose the last one)
Maybe Ozil or De Bruyne to switch with either one of Toure/Silva, since only Kante to cover all midfield.

Alternatively Bale since you're using 3 forwards, but that seems overkill.

Paul_Scholes18

I think RVP should make it somewhere as his 11/12 and 12/13 season's were ridiculous but agreed about the rest you mentioned they have no place in a 10s team, would argue Courtois on the bench over Cech aswell.

I'd probably say the same as the OPs team but VVD and Azpi in for Vidic and Baines and Aguero in probably ahead of Silva and go for a diamond.
I don't think he can make it over Aguero. It is just being biased.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

People have overrated Van Persie’s 12-13 as time has gone on. He was very good & scored goals but he had many ineffective games & went about 10 games without scoring. Good individual season yes, but nothing more impressive than a lot of strikers have managed. His 11-12 season at Arsenal was more impressive as he carried them on his back.

11-12 Van Persie & 13-14 Suarez are probably the 2 best individual seasons for strikers of the decade, but Kane, Aguero & Vardy have consistently bagged goals for 6-10 straight seasons now which is why I went with them.

Who was your keeper in 14-15? Wasn’t that Cech? If it was Courtois than yes I’d go with him as sub keeper. I had it in my mind Courtois didn’t take over til 15-16 in that disastrous season.

Nep77

Degea
Walker Kompany Van Dijk Robertson
Fernandhino
David Silva De Bruyne
Mane Hazard
Van Persie

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I would go with peak form rather than whole decade.

Goalie- DDG(2017-18)
RB- TAA(2019/20)
CB-VVD(2018-19)
CB-Vidic(2010-11)
LB-Robertson(2018-19)
CM-Kevin De Bruyne(2017-18)
DM-Kante(2016-17)
CM-David Silva(2011-12)
RF-Salah(2017-18)
CF-Suarez(2013-14)
LF-Hazard(2016-17)

Yes defensively can be a suspect due to two attacking fullbacks and two attacking midfielders, but I don't care.
I like the team and think picking with that metric is less of a headache than trying to compare longevity and impact, 6 great years vs 2 amazing ones etc.

Without putting too much thought into it or consideration for balance I’d probably swap out Robertson for Baines (2012-13) and Silva for Yaya (2013-14)

Michu (2012-13) on the bench

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
De Gea
Walker - Kompany - Van Dijk - Azpilicueta
De Bruyne - Kante - Silva - Hazard
Aguero - Kane​

Peak season team would have Trent, Vidic, Robertson, Toure, Suarez, Bale and/or Salah in it.

Nep77

People have overrated Van Persie’s 12-13 as time has gone on. He was very good & scored goals but he had many ineffective games & went about 10 games without scoring. Good individual season yes, but nothing more impressive than a lot of strikers have managed. His 11-12 season at Arsenal was more impressive as he carried them on his back.

11-12 Van Persie & 13-14 Suarez are probably the 2 best individual seasons for strikers of the decade, but Kane, Aguero & Vardy have consistently bagged goals for 6-10 straight seasons now which is why I went with them.

Who was your keeper in 14-15? Wasn’t that Cech? If it was Courtois than yes I’d go with him as sub keeper. I had it in my mind Courtois didn’t take over til 15-16 in that disastrous season.
Van Persie has 26 goals and 15 assists that season in premier league and even when he went in a run of like 7-8 games where he didn't scored he was actually providing goals for other.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Courtois took over the mantle in 2014/15 although Cech did still play a relatively decent amount of games in all comps before he left for Arsenal.

padr81

Supports
Man City
-----------------------DDG-----------------------
---------Vidic--Kompany--VVD----------
----------Fernandinho--Kante------------
Salah-------------KDB-------------Hazard
-------------Aguero--Kane------------------

Harsh on David Silva but I think KDB shades him.Also not enough quality full backs, hence the 352.

Also unlucky to miss out are Mane for Hazard and RVP for Kane.

Paul_Scholes18

Van Persie has 26 goals and 15 assists that season in premier league and even when he went in a run of like 7-8 games where he didn't scored he was actually providing goals for other.
It was a crazy season. Just I never thought our team truely. Yet we had a habbit to get results from all types of performances.
Was it Villa we had 2-0 down at half time and turned around and won 3-2. 4-3 vs Reading and many other games.
The mentality to get the job done was amazing and all our 4 forwards had a really good year apart from maybe Rooney compared to his best.