Your favorite ever United match against a non major rival

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Coming back from 3-0 to win 5-3 against Spurs.
Me and a friend almost left the pub at half time, but decided we wanted another beer.....
Best decision in my life :)

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
5-2 against Spurs. When Ronaldo made it 3-2, I lost it. That seemed to be the start of Ronaldo's "I'm taking my shirt off all the time" routine.

Having Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez and Berbatov all on the pitch at the same time was just silliness.

applemacdan

7-1 vs. Roma. The atmosphere before, during and after that game was like nothing I've felt before.
Remember being so excited for this game the entire day and alot of the talk was around the 'Ultras' in Manchester after there had been trouble the week before in Rome.

Behind afer the first leg...

What a night that was... Never hugged so many people sat around me.... Was the perfect football day!

Glad to say I was there.....

Siorac

Newcastle 6-2, Roma 7-1, Spurs 5-2 are all great shouts.

I have a weird soft spot for beating Deportivo 2-0 at Old Trafford in the CL second group stage in 2003. Not sure why.

davidmichael

I strangely like this one over the obvious second leg CL win over an Italian club.

I was there that night, the return of Beckham to Old Trafford with Rooney on fire and all in all a complete performance. Mine will always be the 1990 FA Cup final where we drew 3-3 with Crystal Palace as it was the first time I went to see United play.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
other possibilities are from the first Premiership season: the crazy crazy win against Sheffield Wednesday with Bruce's late late brace (and Fergie and Kiddo on the pitch: it's call passion Mr van Gaal) and the 2-0 win at Palace at the end of that season because it pretty much sealed the title. I was there. went with a mate: he paid £80 for his ticket from a fan. two minutes later someone gave me their extra one for face value :lol:

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
The 7-1 against Roma is one of my favorites. Not just due to the result but the atmosphere was amazing and the commentary was pure genius.

The third goal: "Magical Manchester United"

Morpheus 7

Man United 3 Aston Villa 2. Macheda last minute goal, it was the day that we won that title in my opinion. It had a comeback, winner by an unknown and the atmosphere was class.

Møllemanden

There are so many good moments. My favorite is probably the game at Craven Cottage when Ronaldo ran three quarters of the pitch, and scored the winner in one of the last minutes. It meant we went 8 or 9 clear at the top, and virtually won the league.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Just remembered the Villa United game in 93 ... absolute classic. It's rare two good teams meet and both play really well, but they did in this one.... good saves, woodwork, both sides.

One of my favourite ever United XI's as I've never seen a United team (or many teams tbh), play with this amount of pace. Also the game we debuted the all black kit (so cool), a night match (so pub) and the Lee Sharpe goal celebration..... Fergie said it was a great match after and I remember Ron Atkinson interviewed and saying it was one of the best matches he'd ever seen and one where every player played well.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/08/23/aston-villa-manchester-united-1993_n_3802867.html

LeCon

Supports
St Germain Le Fouilloux
Blackpool 2 - United 3.
They got 2 goals in first half. Giggs came on for Gibson at half time. With score still 2-0 at 66th min., Ferguson took Rooney out and put Chicharito in. Berbatov 72 min, Chicharito 84th, Berbatov 88th min.
Was gonna put this. Watched it at uni with a United-mad mate in a packed pub. Insane.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Villa 2 - 3 United with the Hernandez 'hatrick'

Everton 2 - 4 United Agent Phil feat Chris 'Bambi Legs' Eagle's

United 5 - 2 Spurs...The pen that never was

United 3 - 2 Villa Macheeddaaaaaaaaaaaaa

United 5 - 0 Fulham First game of the season. Our football was fecking terrifying

Juve 2 - 3 I was heartbroken after 15 minutes. Genuinely thought we'd blown it in Europe again

Arsenal 2 - 6 United League Cup and a Sharpe Hatrick

United 4-3 Hull Stretford end clapping Hull players off

Reading 3 - 4 United easily the most fecking mental 45 minutes of strange football I've ever fecking seen. Still think both sides were on the piss together the night before...

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The 7-1 against Roma is one of my favorites. Not just due to the result but the atmosphere was amazing and the commentary was pure genius.

The third goal: "Magical Manchester United"

This is my personal favorite game.

Ronaldo's 4th: The defender was absolutely terrified of him. He had no intention of closing him down, so simply backed off to the point of giving Ronnie a free run at goal. Always makes me laugh that one.

It would feel remiss of me not to mention my dad's favorite game of all time, one that my brother and I watch on his birthday every year. The older fans my appreciate this one a little more.

DoubleRevv

Recalling these games reminds me of the first reason why I support this club. I hope that by this time next year we have some new games from the season to add to this collection.

Say what you will, this club's identity is playing football with a "never say die attitude". It is attacking football, and giving the fans something to cheer about.

I'm hopeful Mourinho knows this and together with the players and the match going fans - they bring the glory back.

Glory Glory Man United!

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
5-2 against Spurs. When Ronaldo made it 3-2, I lost it. That seemed to be the start of Ronaldo's "I'm taking my shirt off all the time" routine.

Having Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez and Berbatov all on the pitch at the same time was just silliness.
This one. The power which we attacked them from the start of the second half was unbelievable. Berbatov in the centre, Rooney on the left, Ronaldo on the right and Tevez, well, all over the pitch. Also, such a vital win for the title.

Love that Everton away win 4-2 when we got one hand on the first title in four years. 2-0 behind and fought back in the second half. Eagles scored the last.

From the past. Newcastle 1-0 away in 1996 (they've been our rival those years, though)

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Best thing about that 5-2 against Spurs was Redknapp blaming all 5 goals on the penalty, as the only reason we came back. As if they'd have kept us out. We were carving them open before that. Their defending was suicidal and it was just a matter of time. After all, they'd let Carrick of all people just ghost through the midfield and go one on one with Gomis.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Of those not mentioned Norwich away 92/93 comes high on my list. 3 fantastic goals. The 2nd is just magic with the one touch passing.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Best thing about that 5-2 against Spurs was Redknapp blaming all 5 goals on the penalty, as the only reason we came back. As if they'd have kept us out. We were carving them open before that. Their defending was suicidal and it was just a matter of time. After all, they'd let Carrick of all people just ghost through the midfield and go one on one with Gomis.
Redknapp being Redknapp. He knew he was in trouble since he walked on the pitch in the second half. Probably heard Fergie in the other dressing room and then saw Tevez and thought who the feck is going to mark all of them.

One lovely afternoon. :)

Baxter

This was quite good. I was there and it was the first game after the 06 World Cup where Rooney and Ronaldo had that skirmish.

JmRssll555

These probably aren't my 'favourite', but both great games from 2011/12 which haven't been mentioned yet.

FerociousCorgis

For me I will add to the numerous posts but it is 7-1 Roma game. I remember sitting in dorm and knowing I needed to go to class, but once I started watching I realized it would be a special game and said screw it to making it to class. No idea what I missed in class that day but definitely was worth it.

RedFish

United v Porto 1997 4-0

I remember watching this during my uni days with my Portuguese flatmate, a Porto fan, and just swelling with pride. We were glorious that night.

Maccataq

Basically, all teams count bar Liverpool, City, Arsenal, Leeds.

My favorite is definitely the 2-6 at St Jame's Park in 2003 where Scholes scored a hattrick. Newcastle were quite decent that season and finished in the top 4 as far as I remember.

Some of the football on display was just sublime.

This game probably wouldn't have come straight to my mind but a great watch...well except for Peter Kenyon at the end!

I'm going to say 4-1 home game against Blackburn (in the spirit of not picking a big rival, I'll extend that to big European rivals) where we fell 1-0 down and Brad Friedel was having one of those games against us (I think he always seemed to raise his game against us). We were in the business end of the season and we were battering them at 0-0, 0-1 and then some magic from Scholes got us back level. We continued to batter them until Carrick put us ahead before we romped home to victory with goals from Park & Solskjaer.

Other notable games: 3-2 win away to Juve when Keane drove us forward; 7-1 win over Roma, 3-2 win at West Ham (when playing well but 2-0 down at half-time); probably too many to mention but although probably not a classic game in many respects, the last gasp 2-1 win against Bayern in 99 still brings me out in goosebumps to this day

bleedred

The Macheda game.... What a finish....I still feel to date , that Liverpool would have gone on to win the league if not for the goal.... That goal must have been such a demoralizing one for them and an eqivalent boost for us...

Last edited:

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Definitely the 7-1 against Roma. There have been moments of ecstasy in other matches, but there hasn't been any other game where I have simply been so overwhelmingly happy throughout the entire match. Even thinking back to it puts a smile on my face. There was magic in the air that night.

Carrick's second goal in that match has always been one of my favourite goals. There wasn't any real importance to it, but it was just an incredibly clean hit.

I also have to mention the 5-3 against Spurs. I was watching it with my old man (a Spurs supporter) who was giving me a bit of shit at halftime when they were winning 3-0. I'll always remember the instant we scored our second goal I looked at him, he looked at me, and I just smiled. We may have still been losing 2-3, but we both knew Utd were going to win that match.

bobglory

both the 3-3 games against barca in 99 were fantastic , people always talk about the juve game but there were some amazing games in the group stage . what a year to be a mufc fan.

rivaldo what a player he was for a short time .

Carlsen19

Don't listen to my lies RE: Lineups
Hard to say, but the opening day match against Fulham in 06/07 was great. Sublime football and a sign of things to come :drool:
Watched this again last night on MUTV. Would be my pick also.

redflash

08 semi vs Barca. Atmosphere before game was great because it was one of those matches were we all went to ground with that bit of belief mixed with a bit of fear.

From before kick off (good 10 mins) stadium was full...fans were singing...flags waving and you just got the feel this was going to be something special.

I remember every time Messi touched the ball the whole crowed held there breath, then a huge roar when he didn't destroy us.

Then when scholes hit that shot.....BOOM lid came clean off. I've never heard a noise like it or gone as mental celebrating.

The rest of the night crowd played huge part, screaming lads on cheering every tackle, challenge, save.

Last ten minutes just kept getting loader and loader. When final whistle went it was such an outpour of emotion. I remember walking round ground for about half hour after just singing follow follow follow.

What a nighy