Your preferred formation.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
- De Gea -
- Valencia - Smalling - Bailly - Shaw
- Carrick -
- Herrera - Pogba -
- Mkhitaryan - Zlatan - Martial -

4-3-3 is the way to go, it suits the players we have perfectly. With Rashford able to come in in place of any of the front 3 if we are lacking that spark.​

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Every mention of Rooney on page 1 of this thread is in a negative context. Says it all.

Fer

433 would be by far our best formation. Mainly because we are signing Pogba.

Our midfield would be more balanced and players like Herrera, Schneiderlin, Martial, Memphis, Zlatan... could improve their game with that formation. I hope we don't play Pogba in a midfield of 2. It sounds more exciting Pogba linking up with Martial and Shaw through the left.

Drainy

4-3-3

----------------De Gea------------
Valencia--Smalling--Bailly--Shaw
------------Schneiderlin-----------
--------Pogba--------Blind--------
---Mkhitaryan ---------Martial----
------------Ibrahimovic-----------

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I like 4-3-3 but given the current questions marks against Carrick (age), Herrera and Schneiderlin (form) I don't believe we have the players for it so with this group of players it has to be 4-2-3-1

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
I very much doubt it that Mourinho, having started the preparation with Pogba's negotiations well advanced, would start with his preferred 4-2-3-1 for then to change it when the player arrives; I think he would have started with a 4-3-3 from the beginning.

Nevertheless, it's interesting to see if he's really counting on Pogba to play in a midfield two, or if he's thinking of using him as #10 in tough away games, for instance.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I very much doubt it that Mourinho, having started the preparation with Pogba's negotiations well advanced, would start with his preferred 4-2-3-1 for then to change it when the player arrives; I think he would have started with a 4-3-3 from the beginning.

Nevertheless, it's interesting to see if he's really counting on Pogba to play in a midfield two, or if he's thinking of using him as #10 in tough away games, for instance.
He didn't stop playing Fabregas in a midfield 2 for harder games so I don't see him doing it (or feeling the need to do it) with a much better central midfielder in Pogba

RooneyLegend

-------------Martial----Ibrahimovic---------
----------------Mkhitaryan------------------
-----------Pogba----------Rooney----------
-------------------Carrick--------------------
Shaw----Smalling-----Bailly------Valencia
--------------------DDG----------------------

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Unfortunately I'm not in charge and it will never happen, but I'd drop Rooney first and foremost. Then play...

Martial - Ibrahimovic - Mkhitaryan as my front 3, Pogba in an attacking free role just behind them, and then Schneiderlin and Herrera (or Matuidi if we can still afford him) as my energetic midfield 2.

I've got a feeling Mkhitaryan is going to have similar problems to Kagawa adjusting to the PL though
This.

Carrick should be nowhere near the first XI unless we're 3-0 up, 20 minutes to go and just want to max possession. Yes, he was a good player in a different United team(s) but this forward line needs quick ball or we won't get the most out of it - Carrick slows the play down and allows the opposition to get organised.

I'm fine with a sitting MF but this shouldn't be Carrick either.... I'd rather have Blind, 50/50 possession and Martial/Ibra/MKH facing the goal than win the possession battle but slow ball and our forwards facing our own goal with defenders up their arse (not literally).

If Rooney has to play, it's sharing the CF place with Ibrahimovic, either sub or in 10-20 games as starter. He's a forward, not a 10 or MF and I don't understand why managers choose 'names'. England managers have shown that never works.... pick a team/formation and pick the players who make that work.

Gopher Brown

I can't see a place in the team for Rooney, and I sincerely hope Mourinho builds his team around Pogba, or else it'll be the same as with Di Maria - no obvious place to fit him in.

We've seen in pre-season a real problem with Ibra and Rooney getting in each other's way so much. Now with Pogba, that will be even more apparent. So one of Ibra or Rooney isn't getting in the team, and there's only one logical outcome.

Drop Rooney and suddenly we have a great team.

Keep him in and we're forcing all of our attacking players to play in a system which doesn't fit them.

Herrera Carrick Pogba

Mhki Ibra Martial

The only possibility is putting Rooney in instead of Herrera, but Mourinho has said he's not suited to that role.

AndyJ1985

Ibrahimovic
Martial -------------Mkhitaryan
Pogba ----Fellaini
Carrick
Shaw Smalling Bailly Valencia
De Gea
We need a midfield 3 to allow Pogba to play more advanced and drive forward.

MounchesterUtd

Any of the following:

--------Ibra
Martial Mkhi Lingard
Pogba
-----------Carrick

Martial Ibra Mkhi
Pogba Herrera
--- Carrick

------Rashford
Martial Ibra Mkhi
Pogba
-----------Carrick

With a back four of:
Shaw Bailly Smalling Darmian

Will Singh

DDG
Val Mike Bailly Shaw
Pogba Carrick Schneiderlin
Mhki Ibra Martial

Carrick holding with Schneiderlin B2B and Pogba with a free role, if Rooney makes our first 11(God forbid) then we ain't gonna be the force we can be!

pacifictheme

Schniederlin should be nowhere near our first 11.
Neither should Herrera, but we don't live in a perfect world.

A rotation of carrick, herrera and schniederlin with pogba in a midfield 3 for me.

Anyone else think blind may stay first choice CB? Mourinho seems to want him there. Smalling and Bailly to rotate?

Think it may take a while for miki to establish himself, so lingard may continue wide right. Plus hes in form. I wonder how long mourinho will put up with an under performing martial.

My preferred line up would be

DDG
Valencia
Bailly
Blind
Shaw
Carrick
Schniederlin
Pogba
Miki
Ibra
Martial

But i think with Rooney, rashford, mata (hopefully), herrera, fellaini, lingard, young and smalling we have some great depth and flexibility in the squad. Would like to see one more cm or cb come in as i think we are one light in both. Especially if we go 3 in midfield.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
He didn't stop playing Fabregas in a midfield 2 for harder games so I don't see him doing it (or feeling the need to do it) with a much better central midfielder in Pogba
Yes, you're right. Except that he has no huge defensive work rate player like Oscar in United to play in front of our whichever Fàbregas type of player. Or maybe he has, but still hasn't thought of playing him there (Mkhitaryan).

Another thing. Why do people see Mkhitaryan as an adequate right-winger for an hypothetical 4-3-3? He's simply not that type of player, not dynamic enough, just compare his speed with Lingard's. While we're at it, even Rashford would make much more sense there.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
I think 4-3-3 suits the team (especially since the arrival of Pogba......i mean a CM with Pogba and Carrick/Schneiderlin in the 4-2-3-1 system works surely against Ipswich but not against most PL clubs) and i hope Mourinho will realize that soon.

Baxter

De Gea
Valencia Bailly Smalling Shaw
Schneiderlin Herrera
Mkhi Pogba Martial
Zlatan

I'd like a new right back, and maybe another centre back but that should do this season. Of course Rooney will still play though.

Footyislife

But actually, it's not.
Against big teams (4-3-3):

--------------De Gea---------------
------------------------------------
Valencia---Bailly----Smalling---Shaw
------Schneiderlin-----TFM----------
---------------Pogba---------------
Mhki--------------------------Martial
--------------Zlatan----------------

Against smaller teams (4-2-3-1):

--------------De Gea---------------
Valencia---Bailly----Smalling---Shaw
------Schneiderlin-----Pogba--------
Mhki----------Herrera---------Martial
--------------Rashford--------------

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
De Gea
(Romero)

Valencia - Smalling - Bailly - Shaw
(Darmian) - (Jones) - (Blind) - (Rojo)

Carrick
(Schneiderlin)
Pogba ------------ Mata
(Herrera) ----------- (Rooney)

Mkhitaryan --------------------- Martial
(Lingard) ---------------------- (Memphis)
Ibrahimovic
(Rashford)​
Fellaini, Fosu Mensah, Young rotating around.

Shamshi

My preferred formation? The one without Rooney in it!!!!

Ibrahimovic
Martial Lingard Mkhitaryan
Carrick Pogba
De Gea
But Mou will go with this -

Ibrahimovic
Martial Rooney Mkhitaryan
Carrick Pogba
De Gea​

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Was just thinking... Imagine if it was Mourinho who brought in Di Maria along with all these guys? Him next to Pogba, in front of the holding mid, behind Martial, Mkhitaryan and Ibra... feck me.

monosierra

Was just thinking... Imagine if it was Mourinho who brought in Di Maria along with all these guys? Him next to Pogba, in front of the holding mid, behind Martial, Mkhitaryan and Ibra... feck me.
True ... Mourinho brought out the best in Di Maria.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
De Gea
Carrick
Herrera Pogba
Mkhi Zlatan Martial​

or

De Gea
Mkhitaryan Schneiderlin Pogba Martial
Zlatan Rashford​

slir32

De Gea
Valencia Baily Smalling Shaw
Carrick/Blind/Schne Pogba
Mhki Rooney Martial
Zlatan

Rooney dropping back when Pogba bombs forward.

Kag

433. We don't have the players suited towards our current formation unless Mkhitaryan plays and excels behind the striker.

Blind, Carrick or Schneiderlin holding with Herrera and Pogba in front is our best bet.

Ibrahimovic, Mkhitaryan and Martial have enough goals in them up top.

Mr Smith

------------De Gea------------
Valencia-Bailly---Smalling--Shaw
--------------Carrick----------------
-------Schneiderlin--Pogba----------
Mkhi-------------------------Martial
--------------Zlatan---------------
This except I'd reward Blind's pre-season form by starting him ahead of Smalling (for now) and play Hererra ahead of Schneiderlin (the latter comes in for the big games/when tactics necessitates).

Mr Smith

I agree, but this is about our preference, not what we think Mourinho will do.

NoLogo

I'm a firm believer in the 4-2-3-1/4-4-1-1 simply because it's one of the most flexible formations and can become a 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 without much adjustment. Ideally we will have a team that is capable and comfortable playing in more than one formation so we can adjust to our opponents without sacrificing our strengths.

itso 7

To paraphrase Yoda, this is why we will fail.
This we will never see the best of our side if we are pushing our better players for some-fat-hasbeen who hinders rather than aid our attack. Rooney is Mourinho's biggest test and how he handles that will determine his success and the length of his tenure. To break the record for a player and then shift them around to fit in player in decline is nothing short of criminal utilization of resources. Lets not kid ourselves, it is Mourinho who signed the players that leave no obvious position for Rooney and now that they are all here its time for him to lay in that bed.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
------------DDG-----------
Valencia-Smalling-Bailly-Shaw
-Herrera-Pogba-Schneiderlin-
---Micky-Zlatan-Martial---

4-3-3 with Pogba in a free role like he had at Juve

Jacko21

José Mourinho may struggle to get best from Paul Pogba in a 4-2-3-1 formation

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/aug/09/paul-pogba-jose-mourinho-manchester-united-4-2-3-1

...Michael Cox affirming what has been discussed here re our chosen formation. We all know (as does Mourinho) that 4-3-3 suits this squad perfectly.

So the question is, when will our transition to said formation happen? Should we resign ourselves to playing 4-2-3-1 this season or at least in the early months, until a decision on Rooney is made?

Will Pogba be asked to adapt to playing in a midfield two and Mkhitaryan used solely wide right?

Rooney's place in the team has increasingly become the elephant in the room.

Tiber

As I said in the best 11 thread, it has to be 4-3-3

--------------------Spanish God----------

Valencia/Darmian--Bailly----Smalling---Shaw

-----------------------Carrick----------------

------------Schneiderlin--------Pogba--------

-----Mkhitaryan-----------------------Martial

--------------------Zlatan/Rashford-------

Ideal for both our midfielders and strikers. Will enable us to get the very best of Pogba

Ash_G

De Gea
Carrick
Herrera Pogba
Mkhi Zlatan Martial​

or

De Gea
Mkhitaryan Schneiderlin Pogba Martial
Zlatan Rashford​

The first one for me as well. I think that one has the best balance. Both Pogba and Herrera can play as the furthest forward of the 3 or the one who is slightly deeper and I think having them switch would be good. Their mobility and ability to move in to wider areas as attacks progress will also help as our wingers will want to come inside.

As most people are saying it's Rooney who doesn't really fit in. He's surely behind Ibra for the main striker, can't play the wide roles well and it'd be a bit stupid to pay 100m for a player and not build your team around him. Pogba needs to have license to roam which he can't do if he's pushed deeper to accommodate Rooney.