Your realistic United XI in two years

MounchesterUtd

How do you think United will realistically line up in two years? Take "realistic" for what you interpret it to be, if it means resigning an old Ronaldo to come home to OT, or blowing 250m on Neymar, let's hear it.

For all that was said about LVG, he did leave a solid if not imbalanced foundation for the next manager, and Jose has done a great job at securing both short term and long term gains with his signings so far. Looking at the holdovers from the team, this is how I see United lining up in two years with the corresponding ages of the players:

4/3/3
Martial - 22
Rashford - 20
Mkhitaryan - 29

Pogba - 25
Pereira - 22 (or Herrera - 28)
Schneiderlin - 28 (or Fosu Mensah - 20)

Shaw - 23
Bailly - 24
Smalling - 28 (or Tuanzebe - 20)
Darmian - 28

De Gea - 27

Looking at the above, I would say it's a very balanced lineup although probably too young and inexperienced. The front three has potential to be devastating with three pacey and unselfish players, each capable of switching positions. The midfield has everything you would like to see in CM (maybe just lacking that Carrick/Alonso-esque DLP). The back four, health permitting, is strong, athletic and smart, and should also be able to contribute to attack. Then there's DDG as the final line of defence.

The weak links may be Darmian and Schneiderlin (if the philosophising of them cannot be undone), but I'd like to see them under Mou first. That said, it won't be impossible to get replacements for their position. Possible options could be Kranevitter (25), Banega (30) - for Shneid and Carvajal (26), Fabinho (24) for Darmian.

I think Mkhi can still be upgraded, though it will probably be unfair for him since he'll just be 29 at that point. Dybala (24) and Aubameyang (29) may be options moving forward.

Last edited:

settembrini

De Gea in goal.
Shaw, Bailly and Smalling with a new right back in defence.
Not sure about defensive midfield. Maybe Schneiderlin, maybe Fosu-Mensah, maybe a new signing. Has to be someone that will work well with Pogba because he's the other midfielder.
Martial on the left. A new winger on the right unless Januzaj somehow gets back on track.
Mkhitaryan behind Rashford upfront.

TehRed

Playing 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 I think we could line up like this in two years:

1. De Gea
2. Fabinho
12. Smalling
3. Bailly
23. Shaw
8. Fosu-Mensah
6. Weigl
10. Pogba
7. Mkhitaryan
9. Martial
19. Rashford

Signings made are obviously Fabinho and Weigl - Fabinho is about the best young right back we're currently linked with, and Weigl is Carrick reborn, a calm and incisive passer with a good tackle on him. The only other position I could possibly see being any different is if Bailly doesn't click, in which case I could see Tuanzebe being given a shot, or someone coming in (Manolas hopefully)

......De Gea......
Fabinho.... Smalling... Bailly... Shaw
..........Weigl..... Mensah... .
.............Pogba.........
Dybala.... Rashford..... Martial

Revan

Assumptionman
De Gea

RB CB Bailly Shaw

DMF Pogba

Targaryan Griezmann AM9/11

Rashford​

Revan

Assumptionman
Why not Smalling and Martial?
I don't think Smalling has what it takes to become a really top CB, and AM9/11 is Martial (AM9 which looks to change now to AM11 after we gave his number to Ibra).

Womp

idiot
Hoping some of our youngsters step up.

Martial----Rashford----RW(New signing)

Pogba--------Pererira

Fosu-Mensah

Shaw---------Smalling-----Bailly----------(new RB)

WelshManc

I think the forward line will be

--Greizmann---------Mkhitaryn---------Martial--
-----------------------The Rash--------------------
This is 4 up top that I want. Gotta be honest I'd love Bale on the right with Greizmann behind Rashford but don't want to be to unrealistic.:lol:

notcool

Supports
a
Ultimately, we need a new right back. Someone that is as good as Shaw, just for the other side. That's the standard. Elsewhere, it could go like this:

DDG
RB Smalling Bailly Shaw
TFM Pogba
Dybala Memphis Martial
Rashford

Maybe Pogba wouldn't be so bad in that second position in midfield.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
De Gea
Darmian Smalling Bailly Shaw
TFM Pogba
Micky Targaryan Rooney Giggs
Martial

It would pretty much take 80m pounds or so to lure him away from Juventus. I reckon he will end up at Barca in a year or two somehow.
Is there no chance we can make him an offer he can't refuse? Btw, I've got a feeling he'll cost alot more than 80mil. He looks like a devil of a player to me.

Last edited:

Slavkov

I really cannot see a young player who can step in Carrick's boots. We need a deep lying playmaker, a Pirlo, Xabi Alonso, someone like that and I am not sure Perreira can step up and turn into a similar player for us. Apart from that that is how I see us in two years' time:

David de Gea
Darmian/Fosu-Mensah - Bailly - Smalling - Shaw
Perreira / DLP - Pogba
Inside Forward - Mkhitaryan - Martial
Rashford

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

In two years time Smalling may be the only United player associated with the Ferguson era. In the best case scenario there will be two more players in that category, De Gea and Pogba. If that's the case and if our best prospects manage to mature into top players (Shaw, Bailly, Rashford and Martial), then we'll have a strong first team. Otherwise, we'll be discussing about the need of massive overhauls once again. I don't believe it's gonna be two easy years for the club, considering the competitiveness of the PL nowadays and the sheer quality of the top three in Europe (Barca, RM, Bayern Munich) but we have a manager who will not accept mediocrity and he will try to make champions out of these players.

MounchesterUtd

Is there no chance we can make him an offer he can't refuse? Btw, I've got a feeling he'll cost alot more than 80mil. He looks like a devil of a player to me.
Definitely 80m is too low for a player of his ilk. If I were United, I'd send feelers through his agent as soon as possible. If he actively pushes for a move, Juve might settle for 'just' 100m. Important that Jose is renewed by then as well as United stands no chance at beating Barcelona to his signature with a manager not named Jose, Pep or Carlo.

Truedevil

De Gea
Fabinho - TFM - Bailly - Shaw
Weigl
Pogba - Herrera
Greizmann - Rashford - Martial

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
I'm not gonna post a team because it'd be very similar to what others have already posted, and obviously we are all not going to be 100% right because two years is a long time in football. It's good to look at the potential line ups we could form with the current players though, we've a lot of seriously talented youngsters.

One thing I will say though in terms of a prediction is, I think spending on top class players (ala Pogba) will become a regular occurrence for us in the coming years. I have a strong feeling one of Griezmann or Aubameyang will be with us in two years (Or both if you believe there is a God:angel:) and that we will regularly outbid the Barca's and Real's for players too. So who knows who we could potentially have if I'm right...

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
------↗-----------------------9------------------------------
---
Martial---------------------------------------------RW-
---------------
-------Mkhitaryan-------------------------
------------
Pogba-----------------------DLP--------------
Shaw---------------------------------------------------RB
----------------LCB-------------Smalling/Bailly-----------------

-------------------------
De Gea---------------------------

#9: Not to downplay Rashford's potential, or poop on everyone's parade, but I'm not 100% certain he has what it takes to become the definite #9 lock. He's a good talent, and has started with a bang, and should be groomed behind Zlatan, but there's massive scope for improvement (hold-up play, more expressiveness, greater consistency, refinement of technique, better linking up with other attacker), which is to be expected of most young players, in fairness - and often comes with sustained playing time. But until that's fully resolved, adding a Top 9 should always be an option. If United gets back to the top European level, there's a difference between a Huntelaar (great scorer: 180 in 240 Bundesliga games, more than a goal in 2 game for the Netherlands) and a Lewandowski, or an Icardi and a Suárez. And sometimes, those minor details can make all the difference: like Bayern moving on from Gómez (who had scored 80 goals in 2 seasons). Rashford has the chance to be a good player, or potentially very good player - but things are still at an early stage.

RW: Until we get a dominant rightback, having a genuine outside threat should be a priority. Mkhitaryan will probably play there in 2015/2016 - but he does his best work coming slightly inside - leaving the outside channel under-utilized. If we get that dominant rightback, you can put Mkhitaryan on the RW - with the freedom to drift inwards, and get a #10. But as things stand, he'd better as the #10 because he'll offer invention and great work-rate to mesh with Pogba (who has a propensity to abandon his defensive assignments when surging forward). If you sign a player for €100 million, you have to build around him to make him shine, to an extent; and Mkhitaryan would be a great foil for Pogba.

DLP/Box-to-Box/DM: Could go in a lot of different directions with this one. Carrick replacement (of sorts), or maybe the long awaited successor to Keane?

LCB: Bailly + Smalling wouldn't be a complementary partnership, IMO - given their similar-ish skillsets. And Bailly still has to show that he 'belongs', so signing an LCB is an option - especially when you consider our options beyond Smalling and Bailly in Rojo, Jones, Blind.

RB: Should be an absolute priority. And if we get a relatively reserved rightback in Fabinho, signing a genuine outside channel attacker for the RW becomes even more imperative.

In terms of the players we should we looking at, it's a mix of the usual suspects: Saúl, Weigl, Lemar, Goretzka, Neves, Giménez, Marquinhos, Laporte, Süle, Tete, Cancelo, López, Griezmann, Jesus, Carrasco, Correa, Asensio - among others. Dunno about the #9, though - the next generation of standout strikers is yet to fully emerge (apart from a couple pricey options). And if Rashford doesn't develop as well as we'd hoped, maybe sign a left sided attacker and move Martial up top. The ingredients for a potentially top team are there, but there's a lot of work to be done - first to nail the starting XI, and then - build quality depth to sustain arduous domestic and European campaigns. Though maybe I'm too pessimistic in terms of the outlook when others are already putting Mensah and co. in there already. Hmm...

WelshManc

I think Bale is absolutely in love with Real Madrid. He only leaves if they want him to and there is no chance of that happening next summer with their transfer ban.
Yer he is and fairplay to him making that choice of playing abroad and sticking through it especially when the Madrid fans were on his case a while back. I get to see him for Wales though so I can't be too greedy.:lol:

------↗-----------------------9------------------------------
---
Martial---------------------------------------------RW-
---------------
-------Mkhitaryan-------------------------
------------
Pogba-----------------------DLP--------------
Shaw---------------------------------------------------RB
----------------LCB-------------Smalling/Bailly-----------------

-------------------------
De Gea---------------------------

#9: Not to downplay Rashford's potential, or poop on everyone's parade, but I'm not 100% certain he has what it takes to become the definite #9 lock. He's a good talent, and has started with a bang, and should be groomed behind Zlatan, but there's massive scope for improvement (hold-up play, more expressiveness, greater consistency, refinement of technique, better linking up with other attacker), which is to be expected of most young players, in fairness - and often comes with sustained playing time. But until that's fully resolved, adding a Top 9 should always be an option. If United gets back to the top European level, there's a difference between a Huntelaar (great scorer: 180 in 240 Bundesliga games, more than a goal in 2 game for the Netherlands) and a Lewandowski, or an Icardi and a Suárez. And sometimes, those minor details can make all the difference: like Bayern moving on from Gómez (who had scored 80 goals in 2 seasons). Rashford has the chance to be a good player, or potentially very good player - but things are still at an early stage.

RW: Until we get a dominant rightback, having a genuine outside threat should be a priority. Mkhitaryan will probably play there in 2015/2016 - but he does his best work coming slightly inside - leaving the outside channel under-utilized. If we get that dominant rightback, you can put Mkhitaryan on the RW - with the freedom to drift inwards, and get a #10. But as things stand, he'd better as the #10 because he'll offer invention and great work-rate to mesh with Pogba (who has a propensity to abandon his defensive assignments when surging forward). If you sign a player for €100 million, you have to build around him to make him shine, to an extent; and Mkhitaryan would be a great foil for Pogba.

DLP/Box-to-Box/DM: Could go in a lot of different directions with this one. Carrick replacement (of sorts), or maybe the long awaited successor to Keane?

LCB: Bailly + Smalling wouldn't be a complementary partnership, IMO - given their similar-ish skillsets. And Bailly still has to show that he 'belongs', so signing an LCB is an option - especially when you consider our options beyond Smalling and Bailly in Rojo, Jones, Blind.

RB: Should be an absolute priority. And if we get a relatively reserved rightback in Fabinho, signing a genuine outside channel attacker for the RW becomes even more imperative.

In terms of the players we should we looking at, it's a mix of the usual suspects: Saúl, Weigl, Lemar, Goretzka, Neves, Giménez, Marquinhos, Laporte, Süle, Tete, Cancelo, López, Griezmann, Jesus, Carrasco, Correa, Asensio - among others. Dunno about the #9, though - the next generation of standout strikers is yet to fully emerge (apart from a couple pricey options). And if Rashford doesn't develop as well as we'd hoped, maybe sign a left sided attacker and move Martial up top. The ingredients for a potentially top team are there, but there's a lot of work to be done - first to nail the starting XI, and then - build quality depth to sustain arduous domestic and European campaigns. Though maybe I'm too pessimistic in terms of the outlook when others are already putting Mensah and co. in there already. Hmm...
If Smalling and Bailly are not apt partnership then Blind stays CB this season because I've got no faith in Jones/Rojo. I can actually live with that.
As for Rashford, if Dybala or Griezmann comes in, then I think Rashford could attack from the right. So that RW signing may not be necessary.
Otherwise I think I'm edified by your ideas.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
If Smalling and Bailly are not apt partnership then Blind stays CB this season because I've got no faith in Jones/Rojo. I can actually live with that.
As for Rashford, if Dybala or Griezmann comes in, then I think Rashford could attack from the right. So that RW signing may not be necessary.
Otherwise I think I'm edified by your ideas.
Yep, Blind might be the best LCB option with the squad we currently have, but I'm not a fan of him as the guaranteed starter, even though he did an admirable job last season. We could certainly do with a more astute and experienced central defensive presence at the back (given that we still display a lack of genuine leadership and organisational ability). Need someone who can step in, bring defensive nous and complementary features to Smalling and Bailly, become the immediate term starter and de facto leader, and let the younger players develop at an an appropriate pace. Like what 29 year old Dante was for Bayern Munich when they won the European Cup:
He's come on brilliantly," commented Heynckes, "he's one of the main reasons we're letting in so few goals this season." An aerial powerhouse, Dante has won 67 percent of his challenges so far, the best score at the club. However, there is much more to the Brazilian's game than simple defending. In the passing stats, he is only just behind Bastian Schweinsteiger (1,610) with 1,606 and an extraordinary 91 percent completion rate, and is third in the ranking for touches of the ball on 1,816, behind only Philipp Lahm (2,067) and Schweinsteiger (1,887).
The 29-year-old Dante switched to FCB from Borussia Mönchengladbach last summer, "and he's proved a fantastic recruit, not just as a footballer, but for everything he is," said Matthias Sammer. In the shortest imaginable space of time, the Brazilian "has emerged as a true leader in the dressing room." Karl-Heinz Rummenigge described the player as "a major reinforcement."
http://www.fcbayern.de/en/news/news/2013/40461.php?fcb_sid=6b539ad224da9e46077aad077d2a3222

That was also when Boateng started to emerge as a world-class defender, and now he's in the Top 3 centerbacks around. We're in a similar sort of defensive transition phase right now: excellent young goalkeeper - Neuer/De Gea, young leftback - Alaba/Shaw, centerback(s) who might be on the cusp - Smalling/Bailly, but lack a Lahm or Dante to be the experienced hands. It's a pity that given the lack of standout centerback options, we won't sign a plug-and-play starter - like Carvalho (UEFA Defender of the Year, and eventual 9th in Ballon D'Or) was for Chelsea way back in 2004.

And Rashford on the right could certainly be an option, come to think of it. He has deceptive pace, and trickery to glide by his marker. Maybe such a move will help him develop others parts of his game, and make him more versatile and rounded, and polished (which generally comes comes with more playing time).

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Griezmann (Rashford)
Martial (New)
RW (New)
Mkhitaryan (Perreira?)
Pogba (Herrera)
Saul (Schneiderlin)
Shaw (Jackson)
Gimenez (Blind maybe)
Bailly (Smalling, Tuanzebe)
Fabinho (Mensa)
De Gea

Out - Rooney, Mata, Depay, Young, Valencia, Lingard, Fellaini, Schweinsteiger, Carrick, Darmian, Rojo, Jones

Keep the likes of Fellaini, Depay and Darmian if they prove useful next season but I doubt they will

MounchesterUtd

Yep, Blind might be the best LCB option with the squad we currently have, but I'm not a fan of him as the guaranteed starter, even though he did an admirable job last season. We could certainly do with a more astute and experienced central defensive presence at the back (given that we still display a lack of genuine leadership and organisational ability). Need someone who can step in, bring defensive nous and complementary features to Smalling and Bailly, become the immediate term starter and de facto leader, and let the younger players develop at an an appropriate pace. Like what 29 year old Dante was for Bayern Munich when they won the European Cup:
Bonucci sounds perfect based on this profile, but I doubt Juve will sell to United regardless of what happens to the Pogba saga. Who do you reckon can fill this role?

An Irish Red

I think people expecting Rashford to be first choice here in two years are being unrealistic. He'll be the same age then that Martial is now and we're not even risking building around him as a striker.

Rashford is a talent and all but I'd be amazed if he was anything more than a valued squad member by then.