Your top 5 favourite Manchester United players of all time

Mark Hughes is there without a doubt. I loved his unassuming way of the pitch but his performances on the pitch and at big moments as well. 1990 FA Cup Final, Rotterdam 1991, FA Cup Semi Final 1994. There are even more as well, that class outside of the foot pass to Robins against Forest, the goal against Millwall in the same season in early February. We were 1-0 nil down at half time and as results stood we were in the relegation zone, but Hughes scored the winner with 6 minutes to go which got us up to 15th.

Different types of goals as well. Scrappy, headers, long distance shots, volleys, running in on goal etc. A great striker.

Andy Cole- Another player who fought against the odds. Everyone at school loved him at Newcastle, but then just because he went to United, everyone said he was crap. Total United bias. An example of hard work versus constant criticism from the outside. Yes you Mr Hoddle amongst others. You carry on playing your qualifiers against Andorra, Moldova and Poland. While Cole is playing against Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Inter Milan and Juventus.

Ryan Giggs. It has been already said. He was absolutely "electric" at Old Trafford, in the Champions League. Because he never played in a big international tournament, I always sensed that this worked out for United. Not for the obvious reason that he was playing extra matches, but instead because when it came to the domestic season (and for the fact that football was not globally broadcast the way it is now), it seemed he was a secret weapon when we came up against the big teams in the Champions League.

These opposing sides probably knew he was good, but when it came to in play, their full backs did not expect the pace, retention of the ball and the vision he had with crossing or intricate passes. The opposition always looked stretched when United and Giggs himself was at full throttle. The only time I heard an overseas coach speak of him highly was Johan Cruyff 1994, "Eric Cantona is good, but trust me, Ryan Giggs is better."

That FA cup Semi Final goal V Arsenal.

Eric Cantona. like Ferguson said he "brought an aura that made his team mates puff their chests out." His passing and his vision was synchronised and executed with impeccable timing. After his suspension he delivered a superb comeback performance against Liverpool. However, his performances then went a little quiet once he was adjusting to the changes made to the side (Ince, Hughes and Kanchelskis departed) and the young Beckham, Butt, Scholes and Nevilles were in and out whilst maturing. This was reflected by our league form with draws against Sheffield Wednesday, Nottingham Forest and defeats to Liverpool Leeds and Tottenham left us 12 points behind Newcastle on New Year's Day.

But once we played West Ham and he scored the winner from an acute angle, there was no stopping us as he galvanised the team. That match at St James Park was the first match thought about 2 or 3 weeks prior. I took United matches in my stride when I was very young, but this match was the first showdown experience I felt. I was so nervous and justifiably so as Newcastle, inevitably came out like train. Schmeichel (his best individual performance in a United shirt) saved two one on ones against Ferdinand and Aspriĺla. The latter was where the ball seemed to be past his hand and heading for the net, but he somehow wielded his arm and saved it with his wrist.

Then in the second half United gained control of possession and seized control of the match. That move and passing from keane out to Phil Neville and the one two with Cole, and the cross into the incoming Cantona and his volley into the net brought a personal reaction of relief, defiance and excitement all into one.

The best thing about that goal was the fact that Cantona was not even in vision of the move whilst watching it on the screen, but as the ball was crossed in you saw his body shape change and you knew what he was going to do.

You see, that impeccable timing.

There are many other players. Jaap Stam during the treble winning season was sensational. He was our best player during the 1999 European Cup Final.

Going back as a young child, I really liked Danny Wallace. My Mother's partner was friends with Paul Ince and he told Paul that Danny was my favourite player. Wallace then got me a signed ball of the players in 1991. I know he is with suffering multiple sceloris. I think about him from time to time.

A short story about him. During the 91-92 when United were going for the title against Leeds. I went to the QPR match at Loftus Road. It ended 0-0. At this stage United were struggling to score goals and ending up with draws against sides we needed to beat. In the car on the way home, my Mum's partner was assertively saying to my Mum, that Paul Ince was saying to him that Danny is scoring for fun in the reserves and he should playing. Probably with swear words. I think I remember Paul even confronted Ferguson about it. So that may show it was true that Sir Alex and Paul did not always see eye to eye.

Maybe, if it was the Premeir League era, perhaps Danny Wallace would have been on the bench more that season and had more opportunities? As it happens, it was Danny's younger brother Rodney who won the league with Leeds that season.

Ji Sung Park. A tremendous servant, ambassador and again hard working individual whose priority was to contribute to the team. I recall us only getting 0-0 draw at Barcelona and then losing to Chelsea at Stamford Bridge before playing the second leg at Old Trafford. We had injuries to Rooney and Vidic during that second leg and I was talking to a fellow United fan 2 or 3 days before Barcelona return and we were both deflated and did not have any idea what Ferguson was going to do in terms of team selection?

When I saw the team line up and saw Hargreaves at right back, Carrick and Scholes in the centre midfield and Park seemingly protecting, I had this sudden optimism that we would get a result and shut Barcelona out completely.

Park did not just protect the back four, he harried (alongside with Tevez) pressed and supported the front line. He was absolutely exceptional that night. The season before he missed the run in due to a knee injury and he would have been perfect against AC Milan in that Semi final match up.

Ronnie Johnsen. Again, he had a range of attributes, he could defend, pass and keep the ball. Another Champions League semi final, this against Juventus 1999. For the first time after meeting them in the group stages for two consecutive seasons, United went into this match up as favorites. Del Peiro ruled out for the rest of the season and were coming to Old Trafford with a supposed half fit Zidane.

The first half was a nightmare. The movement and interplay of Zidane, Davids and Conte completely overun us. The latter scoring to lead 1-0 nil at half time. We were lucky to be losing by one.

Ferguson made the half time change of Henning Berg and brought in Johnsen. We looked more assured at the back. Our passing was more composed and Johnsen was bringing the ball out from defence. The last 20 minutes saw us starting to create chances and Sheringham had a goal disallowed for off side, but Giggs got the equaliser in stoppage time.

It was a shame he had injuries after this season, but I remember a classy player. Remember, the season before against Juventus he dribbled past Deschamps (who was going on to win the World Cup the following summer) and got brought down. This cute move got Deschamps a second yellow card and sending off.

That was the moment when I felt United under the Ferguson era, started to become street wise in the Champion's League. We were applying the dark arts and recognising the important moments of gaining an advantage in crucial moments against high quality opposition.

Last edited:
Some of my all time favourite players (Cavani, Tevez, Zlatan) played for the club but I won’t include them for various reasons (prime, longevity)

My list will change daily but for tonight its

Cantona
Keane
Beckham
Yorke
Vidic

In no particular order

Cantona, Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, Vidic

Tough one. Off the top of my head and based on my current mood, it's probably Beckham, Cole, Keane, Cantona, Ferdinand. In no particular order (though the first three are permanent fixtures).

Favourite isn't the same as best, but here's mine

Dennis Irwin
Bryan Robson
Eric Cantona
Dimitar Berbatov
David Beckham

Harry Maguire
Darren Ferguson
Gabriel Heinze
David De Gea
Willie Morgan.

My top 5 favourite probably changes a lot, but at the moment I think it’s:
- Eric Cantona
- Andy Cole
- Roy Keane
- Andrei Kanchelskis
- Cristiano Ronaldo v1

1. Robin van Persie
2. Park Ji-Sung
3. Michael Carrick
4. Patrice Evra
5. Ashley Young

Off the top of my head..
Paul Scholes
Eric Cantona
Ryan Giggs
Gordon Hill
Wayne Rooney

Can only assume those who haven’t chosen Eric Cantona ….have never heard of him.

George Best - Best United player of all time, and the most naturally gifted player to ever set foot on any football pitch.
Sir Bobby - On and off the field, Mr Manchester United
King Eric - everything that Fergie's legacy is, he was the man that made it happen
Roy Keane - Man would die for the team. Best leader we ever had, like Robson turned up to 12.
Paul Scholes - Never seen anyone who could pass like he could.

I don't think I can put them in any particular order.

1) Ronaldo - Version 2.0 can't take away how much I loved version 1.0. Best United player I've watched in my lifetime.

2) Vidic - Absolute beast

3) Giggs - Top player, timeless on the field. The way he reinvented his game and became our main creative fulcrum for a period was really something.

4) RVP - There was something very special about the way he played the game. I can't quite put my finger on it, but his technical abilities were really unique and for me, surpassed all our other strikers that I watched around that era.

5) Carrick - My favorite United CM. Love this style of player, and he is the player that I modeled my own game after.

I have an irrational love for van Persie so he definitely makes the top 5.

I'd go:
1. Eric Cantona
2. David De Gea
3. Robin van Persie
4. Wayne Rooney
5. Andy Cole

Ask me again next week...

Favourites: 1. Robson 2. Cantona 3. Keane 4. Scholes 5. Giggs

Least favourites: 1. Tevez 2. Beckham 3. Rooney 4. Pogba 5. Sancho

I don't understand how anyone could not like Beckham. He was a true professional that got the most out of his physical skills. And he was a winner. Yes, he left early but that had more to do with the club than him.

Keano, Cantona, Giggs, Schmeichel and Irwin.

Honourable mention to Beckham for his hair

I don't understand how anyone could not like Beckham. He was a true professional that got the most out of his physical skills. And he was a winner. Yes, he left early but that had more to do with the club than him.

There's no question he was an excellent player but his standards at United dropped as he clearly put other concerns first, but still plays the martyr who loves the club when the truth is he couldn't wait to get out the door.