You're Ten Hag - what do you do?

NZT-One

I am starting to think, if for the time being, I would try to switch to 4-4-1-1.

----------------------Onana----------------------------

Dalot-----Varane------Maguire----Lindelof

Mount--Casemiro--Amrabat--Rashford

--------------------------Bruno-------------------------

------------------Hojlund------------------------------

Get back to basics with a traditional United formation.

A more compact and defensive formation makes it easier to re-introduce Maguire as long as injuries are an issue, it would also help Lindelof and Dalot to look a little better. When Shaw returns, he can be eased in without being needed to hit the ground running. A good defender in Lindelof probably a good idea behind Rashford.

Mount would play as a RM, can tuck into midfield and helps with Ball progression. As an option Antony would be a be a suitable player as a more attacking option, same as Pellistri. Casemiro and Amrabat would be my first choice, other combinations would be possible, depending on the match and opponent. Rashford would be asked to help in defense and play a more traditional role for a while but to stay ready to make his trademark runs in behind and join counters.

Bruno gets the Snejder role from Inter, is far away from own goal and can focus on deadly balls in behind. His business can also help to make buildup of opponent more difficult.

Hojlund would be asked to play on the last man for runs, tendency for him would be to drift a little to the right to make space for Rashford. If he can add a thing or two on his work with back to oppo goal, even better, he certainly has the tools for it.

Compactness is key. Get some confidence, make it difficult to score against and make use of Counters where are already suited to. The more confidence there is, this system can evolve to 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3. It won't work against deep blocks but I'll take a few 0-0 to steady the ship. And I guess it will take some time until opponents really adjust.

Last edited:

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
Ultimately it seems player recruitment is what's going to do him in.

Onanan hasn't been worth the 40 million we spent over keeping Ddg on lower wages.

Not really his fault but Malacia, Regullion, and Martinez are all hurt.

Casemero has been solid but also rash in some situations

Mount has not looked even worth 1/10th what we paid.

Antony has not even been close to a 100 million player.

Hojollond was always going to be a project when we aren't really in a spot to have him as a number 1 ST, he's more of a back up to a top ST which we didn't get.

As in with the last 5 managers we neee a proper DoF so more then one person is making these calls.

lex talionis

Lots of good suggestions here, but right now he needs to take Onana off the pitch and replace him whoever our backup keeper is. Onana has been a worry since pre-season began.

We have other issues and they’ve all been discussed here, but if we don’t at least bench Onana for a few games we’ll still concede too many goals and lose matches.

joedirt87

Go back to basics as Sir Alex would do to get confidence. I'm not saying his system won't ever work, but with current confidence levels and injuries, it's making things work. Play players more in their normal positions. Conceding too many goals and too easy to play through, then tighten up the midfield more. Drop underperformers, at least temporarily, and get a group of hard workers in together. Get some players out of the firing line.
Onana, Rashford and Bruno will be fine eventually. But I really think it'll do them good to take a seat for this Brentford game to reset over the break.

Hojlund
Garnacho Mount Antony
Amrabat Casemiro
Dalot Maguire Varane Lindelof
Altay​

Would play something similar, maybe change Casemiro for Eriksen if I wanted someone to be a little more disciplined and control the game more.

Other change I might make is go more of a 4-3-3 with a real industrial midfield ahead of Casemiro.

Garnacho Hojlund Anthony/Mount
Amrabat Mejbri
Casemiro
Dalot Maguire/Evans Varane Lindelof
Altay/Onana
Onana has been poor but I don't know if benching him right now is going to make it any better. I would want to try and go back to basics as you stated. Simplify the tactics, keep more possession and hope that a few good results would help his confidence.

gaffs

I am starting to think, if for the time being, I would try to switch to 4-4-1-1.

----------------------Onana----------------------------

AWB-----Varane------Lindelof---------Dalot

Mount--Casemiro--Amrabat--Rashford

--------------------------Bruno-------------------------

------------------Hojlund------------------------------
AWB is injured.

Out for upto 2 months with a hamstring injury.

Was ill in the week leading up to the Brigton game so wasnt fit to start.
Ten Hag brings him on for 5 mins when the game is dead and he gets injured.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Switch back to last season system in midfield - bit more pragmatic but works

Maybe when we have a full squad of players back then we can think about a more progressive system

NZT-One

AWB is injured.

Out for upto 2 months with a hamstring injury.

Was ill in the week leading up to the Brigton game so wasnt fit to start.
Ten Hag brings him on for 5 mins when the game is dead and he gets injured.
You're right. Then switch AWB for Dalot, put Lindelof to LB and bring in Maguire for CB or Amrabat or Casemiro there for the time being. Maybe even better as Mount will tuck in so it is better to have Dalot on the right than AWB and behind Rashford, it would probably be ok to have a real defender (not that I think, Lindelof is but what the heck).

Switch back to last season system in midfield - bit more pragmatic but works

Maybe when we have a full squad of players back then we can think about a more progressive system
Not sure it would. It wasn't perfect last year and this year, we have Casemiro out of form and Eriksen on his last legs. Last years system wasn't so much more effective than this years, the results were better, granted, but the performances weren't up for it. Rashford being on great form did help the perception I think.

Start benching players that perform below average for an extended periode of time. Fernandes, Rashford and Case etc.

K Stand Knut

Start Evans ahead of Lindelof and stop playing Bruno on the right.
BINGO!!

Whilst it almost certainly will not solve everything, put Bruno back to number 10, play Mount on the right and play Amrabat next to Casemiro.

I’m confident that this would make a huge difference moving forward, albeit lost likely after the International break. I am also aware that Bruno has been out of for but for what it is worth, I’d go with the following starting XI for the first match after the Internationals:
Onana

Dalot
Varane
Lindelof
Reguilon

Casemiro
Amrabat

Mount
Fernandes
Garnacho

Højland

Can’t be any worse.

Can it??

Trex

Go back to Ole ball double (Case+ Amrabat) pivot to protect the back line. Allow Hojlund, Rashford, Bruno + one to do their thing on the fast break.
No playing out from the back no high pressure.

gaffs

Stop playing Amrabat at left back for starters. Unfair on him that he gets thrown in at left back when he's getting used to being in a new team.
Daft mistakes last night and gave away the free kick that led to the goal against Palace by going through the back of the player, when there was no danger.
Opposition teams will target him at left back. Dalot did a great job there v Arsenal. Put Lindelof at right back. It negates some of our attacking threat, but would make is more solid defensively.

Get Casimiro some support. Hanibal was doing a good job in there last night but got hooked at half time. We looked our most solid this season V Burnley with Hanibal in there. He comes off and we look wide open.

Use a right forward in the position, rather than Bruno. If Anthony is fit enough at the weekend, use him. Pick only one of Bruno or Mount.

Priority has to be to make us hard to beat, like last season. We have enough creative players in the team to get goals, but we are shipping them at an alarming rate.

STYLOISRED

Pray for a left back to get fit and take Casemiro out of the midfield for Amrabat. I’d be tempted to drop Bruno too and play Mount in the 10 but I don’t think Hannibal is ready to be a starter in midfield.
I'd play Lindelof in the full back role and move Amrabat to Midfield. Case needs someone to play make and Eriksen doesn't have the legs. Play Evans and Varane in defence and move Lindelof to full back. Play Case Amrabat in midfield and Bruno or Mount in the 10. Personally i would drop Bruno but he has proven himself capable of getting himself out of bad spells before. Rashford should definitely be benched. He needs to fight for his spot back because that is the only way i see him playing well again. Play Garnacho (or Martial), Hojlund and Antony.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Not sure it would. It wasn't perfect last year and this year, we have Casemiro out of form and Eriksen on his last legs. Last years system wasn't so much more effective than this years, the results were better, granted, but the performances weren't up for it. Rashford being on great form did help the perception I think.
Rather than out of form, I just believe Casemiro is being asked to do too much at the moment, this is made worse by defensive injures.

It doesn't have to be Eriksen next to him either - it can be Amrabat or even McT or whoever. At the moment there is no one with him at all.

The major issue that needs fixing is conceeding goals.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
If I am ETH, I would be more conservative until we regain players and confidence.

I recall Fernandez from loan and play him and Reguilon until Shaw is back.
I loan Malacia this winter for 6 months.
I would try either Evans or Maguire instead of Lindelof who is bullied by almost every striker on the planet.
I would cement Eriksen next to Casemiro.
I would play a low block, and lokking for counters.
Until we have Antony fit, I would play Rashford on the right and Garnacho left.
Then I see who is the best fit between Bruno and Mount depending on games.

STYLOISRED

Rather than out of form, I just believe Casemiro is being asked to do too much at the moment, this is made worse by defensive injures.

It doesn't have to be Eriksen next to him either - it can be Amrabat or even McT or whoever. At the moment there is no one with him at all.

The major issue that needs fixing is conceeding goals.
I agree although I am not sure if it's a tactic instruction or he his just trying to hard to make up for deficiencies in attack but Case has been playing basically like a box to box midfielder this season. He isn't shielding the defense as much as he should and that needs to change. Leave attacking to the attackers.

Velvet Revolver

Go back to basics as Sir Alex would do to get confidence. I'm not saying his system won't ever work, but with current confidence levels and injuries, it's making things work. Play players more in their normal positions. Conceding too many goals and too easy to play through, then tighten up the midfield more. Drop underperformers, at least temporarily, and get a group of hard workers in together. Get some players out of the firing line.
Onana, Rashford and Bruno will be fine eventually. But I really think it'll do them good to take a seat for this Brentford game to reset over the break.

Hojlund
Garnacho Mount Antony
Amrabat Casemiro
Altay​
This and focus on possession. This best transitional team in the world nonsense needs to stop

Drz

Given the injuries at the back, I'd start with a simple 4411 off the ball and temporary halt/lower the pressing instructions
In possession 451.
Mebjri deserves to start in midfield.

I also wouldn't mind just starting the academy players and assessing who will help us improve the collective quality of football produced.

cpresc

Hojlund up top
Bruno alongside him in a total free role (Mount rotates)

Rashford
Amrabat
Case (subbed with Mejbri to save legs)
Sancho back

Dalot until Shaw is fit
Harry with a point to prove
Varane
Antony ( might be mad but he can press and him and Sancho on the right could be mental)

De Gea back on a free

siw2007

Go back to basics. Revert to two players in front of the back 4. I would do this because we are leaking goals and Casemiro is struggling on his own there, so I would do this to get more stability and protection.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I agree although I am not sure if it's a tactic instruction or he his just trying to hard to make up for deficiencies in attack but Case has been playing basically like a box to box midfielder this season. He isn't shielding the defense as much as he should and that needs to change. Leave attacking to the attackers.
It is a change of formation from Ten Hag from last year to this - Casemiro on his own with 2 midfielders in front of him so if he does push forward then it's so easy to pick us off

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Hojlund
Garnacho Mount Antony
Amrabat Casemiro
Altay​
I'm in full agreement with this.

daveskimufc

I'd like to think I'd be brave and do what's needed. Watching the game on TV, I can see a few issues so I'm sure EtH can too, just whether he would admit it.

Fernandes has not been at his best this season, I'd drop him for mount, rashford is far too selfish and needs to learn to be a team player, he can be an impact sub for a few games. The results can hardly get worse. The players need to know their places arent a certainty

FriedClams

I keep doing what I can to get results, whilst making sure the medical department is doing everything they can to get the whole squad at full fitness. Assuming players play to their ability

Onana

wan Bissaka
Varane
Martinez
Shaw

casemiro
Amrabat
Bruno

antony
Hojlund
Rashford

is strong enough to finish top 4. But when can we even expect to see that team? Its undoubtedly the starting XI he wants to play (maybe swap Bruno for mount) and I think it’s unfair to judge him this season until we have seen something close to a full strength XI.

fallengt

- Practice cutback and defend against it
- Bench Rashford, Casemiro, Bruno. Maybe Onana as well
- Make them run more during training. Don't like it? Sell

RedDevil@84

Ideally drop Rashy and Bruno to try some different combination. It is not that easy for Ten Hag or for any United manager though. The moment you drop them, media will be all out with questions and whatever answers are given will be twisted into an ETH Vs Rashford story. New stories will come out saying all players have lost faith in ETH.
Media will put pressure on the club to choose between ETH and Rashford. And our club is a PR club. So it takes decisions based on media talk.

EireRed_GS

If i were him Id probably swallow my pride and play maguire at CB, move Lindelof to RB, Dalot to LB.. We could really do with Amrabat in the centre of the park to get control of the MF and control games better.

Id keep Bruno as CAM and tell him to stay there and stop going far wide.. play Mount in those wider positions as hes much quicker, he looks like hes settling in a bit more now.

In regards to Rashford, I think he's due some time on the bench. His assist was great from the right side, but just went back to the same sh*t when he went back over to the left, trying to walk it into the 6 yard box

kolli

Play 4-4-2
Put Hojlund and Martial up top together, with Martial connecting midfield and attack
Play Garnacho on the left and tell him his one job is to have a go at the right back for 90 minutes
Play Amrabat and Casemiro in the center
Try Hannibal, Rashford, Bruno, Mount, Antony on the right and whoever is best in form plays
Rotate max 2 players at a time
Don't wait until the 80th minute to make subs
Have your wingbacks overlap
Overload the wings
Get the ball into the box...

cristianorooney

Bayindir
Dalot varane Maguire Reguilon
Casemiro Amrabat
Antony Mount Garnacho
Hojlund

Onana, Lindelof, Bruno, Rashford all need dropped

FerociousCorgis

he has to realize that if hes going to go down, he might as well just play the exact players he wants to fit his system. If that means dropping bruno/rashford/casemiro etc just do it. His supposed stars are letting him down, so if we go down might as well be with players who recreate his desired system the best they can.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Never have Eriksen and Casemiro on the pitch together unless we're miles ahead.
Never play Bruno on the right side, either you pick him in the hole or he's benched.
Sub Casemiro as he needs rest and shouldn't be playing 90mins twice a week.
Pick players based on form rather than reputation.
Use the fecking academy rather than filling in holes with senior players out of position, it makes us weaker not stronger.
Trust the youth.
Go back to basics because we can't defend for shit again. Have players in midfield that will actually track runners. If they jog back they get benched.

Most United fans won't care if a youngster has a bit of a stinker as long as they're putting the effort in. I'd rather have players who are busting a gut to get back and help their team mates than senior players who might pull something out of the bag but sulk and don't help out their team mates. It's a team game, get us playing like a team rather than a bunch of sulky individuals.