Youssouf Fofana

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
A thread just for the memories of a player we tried to get on the cheap a day before the window closes and were told to feck off.

Mainoldo

Reminds me of the last day of David Moyes first summer. Except 3 more names by tomorrow.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Expecting a couple of more left-field rumours circling tomorrow.

ti vu

Depend on what is the fee involved. If it's less than 40mil, as replacement and upgrade on Amrabat and McTominay for squad role then it maybe alright. However, if we're gambling on him as answer for Casemiro replacement long term, then IMO bad deal. I don't see huge potential in him. We also have Mainoo which can look to develop over time.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He certainly would add much needed legs and physicality in the midfield. I'm not sure how good he is technically, I'll have to try and have a watch back of games. At this point it's anyone but McTominay for me, so I'm not sure I even care that much if he takes his spot.

AneRu

Depend on what is the fee involved. If it's less than 40mil, as replacement and upgrade on Amrabat and McTominay for squad role then it maybe alright. However, if we're gambling on him as answer for Casemiro replacement long term, then IMO bad deal. I don't see huge potential in him. We also have Mainoo which can look to develop over time.
If we get him on a reasonable contract we can recoup about half the money in a few years but what is clear right now is that Mainoo is not ready for the role as sole DM off the ball and on the back foot, his technical abilities are good for that connector role between the DM and the Am. Maybe in a few years when he is fully developed but not now.

ti vu

If we get him on a reasonable contract we can recoup about half the money in a few years but what is clear right now is that Mainoo is not ready for the role as sole DM off the ball and on the back foot, his technical abilities are good for that connector role between the DM and the Am. Maybe in a few years when he is fully developed but not now.
So the question is whether it's good idea for us to try to salvage this season by rushing to buy more ready players but still questionable in term of instant contribution; when we have the opportunity to give players like Mainoo a bit more chance writing this season off.

If Fonfana is to be seen as long term shrewd signing, it has to be seen as I don't rate him that high, for us to prioritize his signing when we may try to use the fund better.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
His decision making and off the ball game has improved over the years but he is still a subpar technician. I could be wrong but I don't think that he is the type of player that we need to add because it doesn't improve the team in the area where we are the most behind. I won't be able to contest the "Mama Rabiot" allegations after this but Rabiot fits our needs and his contract his expiring.

Mainoldo

His decision making and off the ball game has improved over the years but he is still a subpar technician. I could be wrong but I don't think that he is the type of player that we need to add because it doesn't improve the team in the area where we are the most behind. I won't be able to contest the "Mama Rabiot" allegations after this but Rabiot fits our needs and his contract his expiring.
What you described is exactly what I get from
Him. Great physical attributes but we need more quality on the ball for this position. Rather Onana.

greater wall

Rabiot would have been an ideal signing but he rejected United before they opted for Casemiro. Why would he sign now?

CM

I'd be shocked if we moved for him again. We've already tried twice and both times the reports were that his wage demands were excessive. If that was the feeling last summer when Rabiot was out of contract and we had Champions League football to offer, I don't see how that deal would be any likelier to happen now.

JPRouve

Scout
Rabiot would have been an ideal signing but he rejected United before they opted for Casemiro. Why would he sign now?
Without knowing what we actually offered him in terms of contract but also role, I can't answer your question. But I would make a strong effort to get Rabiot or someone like Rabiot if I was United.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Without knowing what we actually offered him in terms of contract but also role, I can't answer your question. But I would make a strong effort to get Rabiot or someone like Rabiot if I was United.
Agree on the profile, we have a lot of youngsters in the squad now and someone who's played at a very high level, with years in the tank is a very good idea.

JPRouve

Scout
Just another Timoue Bakayoko
He has little to do with Bakayoko. Fofana is an average playe when Bakayoko was bad at the exception of four inexplicable months. I'm not a fan of Fofana but comparing him to Bakayoko is a genuine insult.

NoPace

Bruno-Mount
Mainoo-Fofana
DM-Fofana

McTominay to a mid-table side pays for Fofana. Casemiro heads to a retirement league and big money spent on a DM (along with a backup striker and 2 defenders, one left-sided, one RCB). Looks about right. Might need a new midfielder for cheap (or a loan) to be a 6th option since Eriksen seems to want real playing time and just gets dribbled past constantly these days.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Bruno-Mount
Mainoo-Fofana
DM-Fofana

McTominay to a mid-table side pays for Fofana. Casemiro heads to a retirement league and big money spent on a DM (along with a backup striker and 2 defenders, one left-sided, one RCB). Looks about right. Might need a new midfielder for cheap (or a loan) to be a 6th option since Eriksen seems to want real playing time and just gets dribbled past constantly these days.
I'd happily leave a window with Fofana & Drewsbury Hall in exchange for Casemiro, Mctominay and Eriksen

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I hope the Arsenal "links" are just agent led. He's straight out of the school of the Badiashile/Disasi and not only because they're from Monaco.
Very average player all around, getting hyped for no reason, that will get found out the second he steps out of Ligue 1.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’d take a Fofana for cheap or Rabiot for free as a DM if we can go after Neves as a big money midfield target too.