Youth graduates - next 2 seasons?

SparkedIntoLife

So this is a very general post but I'm very curious about it and I'm aware there's a lot of people here with great knowledge into our academy and how the youngsters are developing.

Simple question - what players do you expect to make their first team debuts over the next 2 seasons? Are there any you believe can become regular starters in that time? A lot of the transfer threads suggest we need a minimum of 6 new players in the Summer. I don't necessarily disagree but, considering the probable expenditure, it might not be feasible. Especially when our academy is clearly thriving.

It's a pity that our first team doesn't seem like a great environment for a youngster to come into. I'm certainly not saying we don't need nailed on first team signings but it'd be amazing to have at least a smattering of debuts over the next couple of years so that we don't just need to rely on transfers.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Now I'm no expert but I've been impressed with what I've seen from our youth teams. I'd love to to trust them more, they can't be worse than most of our first team players.

Instead of wasting hundreds of millions on players who aren't good enough or don't have the right attitude, let's do a 1995 and throw 4 or 5 of them in. Let's trust our youth. Our best performers this season have been Garnacho and Mainoo (2 youth players) alongside Dalot

Pericles

So this is a very general post but I'm very curious about it and I'm aware there's a lot of people here with great knowledge into our academy and how the youngsters are developing.

Simple question - what players do you expect to make their first team debuts over the next 2 seasons? Are there any you believe can become regular starters in that time? A lot of the transfer threads suggest we need a minimum of 6 new players in the Summer. I don't necessarily disagree but, considering the probable expenditure, it might not be feasible. Especially when our academy is clearly thriving.

It's a pity that our first team doesn't seem like a great environment for a youngster to come into. I'm certainly not saying we don't need nailed on first team signings but it'd be amazing to have at least a smattering of debuts over the next couple of years so that we don't just need to rely on transfers.
What will determine how many of them make their debuts will be the state of the 1st team. If we keep suffering injury crises or signing players that are not fit for purpose, more of the youth team players will get opportunities.

Make debuts in the next 2 seasons: Amass, Lacey, Mantato, Williams, J. Fletcher, Ibragimov. Outside chance: McAllister, Fitzgerald

Become regular starters in 2 years: None of them. They might be regular squad players but not starters. Going beyond 2 years, any of the ones in the first group can become a starter (under the right circumstances). Williams is the mystery because there is a hint that there is something missing from his game while also showing a hint of something special. It is difficult to explain.

Reactions: Solius

lysglimt

Scout
What will determine how many of them make their debuts will be the state of the 1st team. If we keep suffering injury crises or signing players that are not fit for purpose, more of the youth team players will get opportunities.

Make debuts in the next 2 seasons: Amass, Lacey, Mantato, Williams, J. Fletcher, Ibragimov. Outside chance: McAllister, Fitzgerald

Become regular starters in 2 years: None of them. They might be regular squad players but not starters. Going beyond 2 years, any of the ones in the first group can become a starter (under the right circumstances). Williams is the mystery because there is a hint that there is something missing from his game while also showing a hint of something special. It is difficult to explain.
I wouldn't rule out Amass being close to a regular when the 26/27 season start - much depends on who we sign in the summer. If we stick with Shaw and Malacia and don't sign a new left-back - I genuinely think Amass could be a regular in 24 months time. He will have just turned 19 - and he is very mature in the way he plays. It's not impossible.

brother ant

What will determine how many of them make their debuts will be the state of the 1st team. If we keep suffering injury crises or signing players that are not fit for purpose, more of the youth team players will get opportunities
The opposite is also true. If we sign the correct profile of playerand start taking 2,3-0 leads (yes I’m dreaming), then we can also successfully start to be bed in those players you mentioned rather than having to throw them in the deep end.

Pericles

The opposite is also true. If we sign the correct profile of playerand start taking 2,3-0 leads (yes I’m dreaming), then we can also successfully start to be bed in those players you mentioned rather than having to throw them in the deep end.
Haha. Yes you are right, it is probably a dream. But I see what you are getting at.

blackgoku

I’d like to add Biancheri. He has a hunger for goals, good positioning and pressing skills. He would fit our proactive style of play.

Pericles

I’d like to add Biancheri. He has a hunger for goals, good positioning and pressing skills. He would fit our proactive style of play.
I like his qualities but with teams almost exclusively utilizing a lone striker these days, i think his relatively small stature will count against him.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Surely Ethan Wheatley in with a shout? Hardly watched any of the youth team but he looks the part, and its been good to see him get a run out off the bench for the first team.

saik

Surely Ethan Wheatley in with a shout? Hardly watched any of the youth team but he looks the part, and its been good to see him get a run out off the bench for the first team.
He is, but he still needs to improve a lot before thinking of giving him first team minutes. People are giving Hojlund pelters, I dread to think of what they'll say when they see some of Wheatley's misses from this season for the youth teams. To be fair to him, he has come on leaps and bounds this year but ideally he needs to go out on loan.

Amass is the one who is the closest to the Mainoo/Garnacho level of talent who the club will probably fast track by fully integrating him into the first team squad when he turns 18.

RedRocket08

Having watched a bit of our youth football this season, I quite like Finley McAllister. All of them have a long way to go but out of all these guys I do feel like Alvaro Carreras who's on loan with Benfica might be part of our plans next season - their coach really seems to like the player and he's been a part of their starting 11 for some time now.

saik

Having watched a bit of our youth football this season, I quite like Finley McAllister. All of them have a long way to go but out of all these guys I do feel like Alvaro Carreras who's on loan with Benfica might be part of our plans next season - their coach really seems to like the player and he's been a part of their starting 11 for some time now.
Probably not if their coach likes him that much as they got an buy option for like 6m euros that they can trigger.

Bertie Wooster

Ability wise, definitely Harry Amass for me. He oozes class and looks a quality modern left-back. The one downside for him getting chances is that there's only one spot available for him. Attacking players can often play across the line and have two or three positions; CM's/CB's often have 2 or 3 places to play for (depending on formation); Even RB's often get moved over to the left. But a smaller LB like Amass (who isn't going to play LCB) just has the LB spot to compete for. Hopefully he'll get chances at some point.

Other than him, there's a number in a tier or so below. Wheatley is obviously getting some game time, but that's mostly due to lack of options and, as improved as he is, he's still very raw and I'd probably expect him to be loaned out next year rather than establish himself in the first team squad.

I do like the look of keeper Harrison. But, similar to LB, it's tough for a keeper to get chances and it's going to be a while before he gets any - if at all. Very promising keeper though.

I like Finley McAllister as a hard working, versatile player who looks a good leader. Puts himself about well and is quite good on the ball. He could have a chance as a verstile squad player over time, but not sure if he'll develop to that level.

Similarly, Ethan Williams. His touch can lack consistency at times, but he's a real threat with his two-footedness and pace and can shoot and deliver decent crosses and set-pieces with either foot. He always looks like a real handful, but it doesn't feel like he's that close to being given any chances and maybe he's just not quite at that level. But I always like the look of him and still hold out a little hope.

Then there's younger ones like Lacey, Ibragimov and Mantato. All of whom look like they have good potential and are highly rated. But I probably need to see more of them even at u18 level, let alone U21's, before there's any talk of the first team.

saik

Then there's younger ones like Lacey, Ibragimov and Mantato. All of whom look like they have good potential and are highly rated. But I probably need to see more of them even at u18 level, let alone U21's, before there's any talk of the first team.
Echoed my sentiments exactly. People have been bigging them up so much recently but Ibragimov and Mantato have barely played any games for the u-18s before some kind of solid opinion can be formed. Fair enough if people actually go to watch them play for the u-16s or whatever but currently just seems to be online hype to me.

Even Lacey, who has been impressive during the early parts of the season(albeit with some clear deficiencies in his game) has pretty much missed football since November. I'd like to see him have a full season at the u-18s level before thinking of whether he can be an option for the first team.

lysglimt

Scout
My big concern regarding McAllister and especially Fletcher is the mobility. If you play a 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 (as we often do), your central midfielders need to be really quick and mobile - that is both McAllister and Fletchers weak points.

Borninthe80ts

It’s a bit weird at the minute due to the success of the under 18s and the poor form of the under 21s but we have a couple of players who are in and around the squad who I’m hoping can make the step up proper next season. Dan Gore for example I’d want to be considered part of the squad when purchasing other non first teamers next season along with maybe Forson if he stays.

Beyond that I’m thinking maybe Finlay McAllister due to his ability to play multiple positions and mentality. On pure talent alone Amass will get his debut either before the end of the season or early next I feel. There’s a chance for J Fletcher too but I see him maybe coming in deeper in midfield, similar to Mainoo.

A dark horse might be a sitting midfielder called Devaney. Calm under pressure and can pass a bit. There’s definitely a group of up to 10 who have a solid chance to progress as good players. This isn’t hype saying they definitely all will as stats prove differently. However 3 to 4 can save us some big fees in the future.

Pericles

Yes, Wheatley has a chance but he is still raw. I listed those who had not yet made their debuts. Wheatley has already done that.

Harrison is another with a chance but he is an 18yr old GK, so i don't expect him to make his debut for us within the next 2 years unless something really drastic happens.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Not for the next two years, but wasn’t Louie Bradbury meant to be really highly rated? Haven’t heard anyone mention him in ages

Big Andy

Bloke
I can guarantee one or two at best will make it. It's just too cut throat at United to chuck kids in willy nilly.

Bondi77

Has anyone on here been following youth football long enough to tell me if the Scholes /Beckham era was an all conquering side at this level?

BehemothTerror

Amass is the clear standout for next in line

Next season the main thing will be to see if our talented U18s can push on further. J. Fletcher, McAllister, Williams have a decent chance but now they need to take the next step and show they are ready for the senior game. Would say it's still too early for Mantato, Ibra, Lacy and a few of the other younger lads.

One who has impressed has been Scanlon who has dramatically improved since the turn of the year in terms of his preformances. Though I don;t know if his level is quite at 'Top 6; level he could have a pretty solid career in the PL/Championship if he keeps the same development curve next season.