Television Yugoslavia documentaries

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Yeah niche thread I know. But I ploughed through The Death of Yugoslavia yesterday and wondered if anybody can recommend any further, hopefully more recent, documentaries on the aftermath of the Yugoslav civil war.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Robert Fisk did a three part documentary in the 90s called Beirut to Bosnia, I think one part focused on the war in Bosnia. It’s all on YouTube:

I’ve no idea if the section on Bosnia is any good.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Robert Fisk did a three part documentary in the 90s called Beirut to Bosnia, I think one part focused on the war in Bosnia. It’s all on YouTube:

I’ve no idea if the section on Bosnia is any good.

Nice one, cheers. I'm interested in The Levant too.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
also curious about stuff on daily life in tito's yugoslavia. the pro-soviet leftists do not have much on it since it was "revisionist".

Acole9

Outstanding
Yeah niche thread I know. But I ploughed through The Death of Yugoslavia yesterday and wondered if anybody can recommend any further, hopefully more recent, documentaries on the aftermath of the Yugoslav civil war.
What channel is that on?

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
I just watched a Slovenian docu on Tito. He was a complex fella. A real giant of a man.
He was murderer who controlled country through fear and secret service. No one was safe from it and you would think 5 times before speaking not knowing when will they come for you. People would went missing overnight without any trace and no one could stop it. In the end he got what he deserved with painfull disease and death.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I've been to Croatia, Montenegro and Serbia in recent years and the history of Yugoslavia is far from gone and hugely tragic. I expected to like Croatia but really enjoyed Montenegro and Serbia more than I expected.

Acole9

Outstanding
I've been to Croatia, Montenegro and Serbia in recent years and the history of Yugoslavia is far from gone and hugely tragic. I expected to like Croatia but really enjoyed Montenegro and Serbia more than I expected.
I've been to Croatia and Bosnia. When you go over the border into Bosnia you can really notice the difference between the two countries. Bosnia looks like it's still struggling from what happened during the war, bullet holes around, dilapidated buildings, poor road surfaces, old cars etc. Mostar was an interesting place, proper hot. Would like to go to Sarajevo at some point.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
He was murderer who controlled country through fear and secret service. No one was safe from it and you would think 5 times before speaking not knowing when will they come for you. People would went missing overnight without any trace and no one could stop it. In the end he got what he deserved with painfull disease and death.
Do you say this from experience? What's your background?

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Do you say this from experience? What's your background?
I live in Croatia, both my parents and grandparents lived through Tito reign and they have nothing good to say about Tito.

Everything was centralized towards Beograd while the rest of the country (todays Croatia, Bosnia, Slovenia, Macedonia) only served as purpose to make money for Beograd. He was all about workers sacrifice while living luxury life and his only real power was fear and complete control of state (police, army, media).

Google UDBA for more informations about his dealing with political opponents.