Zinedine Zidane - 3 time CL winning manager without a job

Litch

But he came back to Madrid after leaving them in a mess, with Ronaldo gone, Bale on his holidays and Hazard on the treatment table, and took them from 3rd to title winners once more. He inherited a great squad and did incredible things, then he took over an ailing squad and did great things.
Agree but that's easier when you are returning back to your home. Yes that also comes with its challenges and expectations, just would have been useful to see if he could apply his ethics and ethos in other clubs, leagues etc. At least would give us a barometer. That said, Klopp came to Liverpool from Germany so what the feck do I know!!!!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If he was to decline I think that it would be more about not wanting to live in the UK than his perfect legacy.
You will probably know more in this case - am I right in saying he's not keen on United? I know his agent (or him directly) said no after Jose. I wonder if that was because of our squad potential or because he doesn't like it in England.

Devil may care

Zidane's in-game management was the thing that impressed me the most but he had world class players in every position and the football was nothing to write home about.

goptun

Ten Hag is two years older than Zidane and has managed for a longer period of time. He isn't exactly a young manager.
I didn't imply Zidane was an old manager. I suppose I mean young manager also in the sense that their managerial top-flight career is in its infancy and they still have it all to prove. Zidane is already one of Real Madrid's great managers of all time - his legacy is secure, regardless of how he does at his next club. Pep was the same when he left Barca (in terms of securing his legacy at his first club as manager), but he appears to be an absolute football obsessive and probably isn't an appropriate comparison. I'd love to have a manager that hasn't yet made history at an elite club and is still fighting to establish their name and identity in football management.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You will probably know more in this case - am I right in saying he's not keen on United? I know his agent (or him directly) said no after Jose. I wonder if that was because of our squad potential or because he doesn't like it in England.
I have no idea and I think that no one knows, Zidane isn't exactly the kind of person to talk to the press publicly or privately. Now regarding 2018, at the time it was said that he wanted to rest and follow his youngest son who is now 19. The context is different, it may not change his opinion about managing United but it's a different situation.

Edit: I forgot that he has a 15 years old son.

Frank Grimes

What does Zidane have that Ole doesn't? Yes he won a few trophies when he was blessed with an exceptional football team but this is Manchester United and he doesn't understand the history and ideals of this great club, Ole does.

Last edited:

BalanceUnAutreJoint

The current UTD squad is arguably better than the Madrid squad Zidane won La Liga with in 19/20 and made CL Semis/2 points off La Liga with 60+ injuries in 20/21

JPRouve

Scout
I didn't imply Zidane was an old manager. I suppose I mean young manager also in the sense that their managerial top-flight career is in its infancy and they still have it all to prove. Zidane is already one of Real Madrid's great managers of all time - his legacy is secure, regardless of how he does at his next club. Pep was the same when he left Barca (in terms of securing his legacy at his first club as manager), but he appears to be an absolute football obsessive and probably isn't an appropriate comparison. I'd love to have a manager that hasn't yet made history at an elite club and is still fighting to establish their name and identity in football management.
The point was that ten Hag isn't the young manager between the two. While someone like ten Hag is enticing he is the most likely to be not progressive in the future because he is older and has more management experience. Someone like Zidane could follow the logic that someone like Klopp followed and evolve with his future team. Otherwise the young promisign managers are the likes of Jesse Marsch, Marco Rose, Potter and maybe Seoane; you will notice that three of them moved this summer and are unlikely to be available in the next two seasons.

goptun

The point was that ten Hag isn't the young manager between the two. While someone like ten Hag is enticing he is the most likely to be not progressive in the future because he is older and has more management experience. Someone like Zidane could follow the logic that someone like Klopp followed and evolve with his future team. Otherwise the young promisign managers are the likes of Jesse Marsch, Marco Rose, Potter and maybe Seoane; you will notice that three of them moved this summer and are unlikely to be available in the next two seasons.
I don't understand the Zidane-Klopp logic. Klopp was a manager for 15 years before joining Liverpool, doing a fantastic job and massively overachieving at both Mainz and Dortmund. He then made his name at the highest level at Liverpool. Zidane has already done that at his first job at his former club in Real Madrid. Surely Ten Hag-Klopp is a more similar path of progression than Zidane-Klopp? Not just in terms of career trajectory (although Klopp's work at Mainz and Dortmund is obviously far and away more impressive), but also in terms of being very hands-on in their approach to coaching.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I have no idea and I think that no one knows, Zidane isn't exactly the kind of person to talk to the press publicly or privately. Now regarding 2018, at the time it was said that he wanted to rest and follow his youngest son who is now 19. The context is different, it may not change his opinion about managing United but it's a different situation.

Edit: I forgot that he has a 15 years old son.
Clearly a smart guy :lol:

TheLiverBird

What does Zidane have that Ole doesn't? Yes he one a few trophies when he was blessed with an exceptional football team but this is Manchester United and he doesn't understand the history and ideals of this great club, Ole does.
Your kidding me???

What does Zidane have that Ole doesn’t???

La Liga title - 2
Champions League Titles - 3
Domestic Cup Titles - 2

Ole is blessed with some unbelievable world class/Top Class talent in this United squad so giving it the all “Zidane was blessed with his squad” doesn’t add up.

You can have the best of the best on the pitch but they are performing the managing tactics and vision on the pitch, if that’s all wrong then you win nothing.

I’m not saying Zidane is some sort of messiah by any means but he’s proven to know how to hold together and direct the best of talents.

Peps the same, only ever managed with the best players but he does it exquisitely.

Ole……he does not, he’s got:

Ronaldo
Rashford
Cavani
Greenwood
Pogba
Varane
Fernandes
De Gea

All at his disposal with other players in between that are top players, and yet Ole is still producing dross performances from these players, this insanely incredible bunch of players.

Zidane would be a much better prospect than Ole all day and every day, because he’s proved he can get over the line with the big guys.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
What does Zidane have that Ole doesn't? Yes he one a few trophies when he was blessed with an exceptional football team but this is Manchester United and he doesn't understand the history and ideals of this great club, Ole does.
This sort of thinking is what is holding your club back to be honest - an obsession with the past that is fading further away. You need to look to the future and stop looking for 'the United way' because that doesn't exist anymore.

MrEleson

You were being sarcastic right?

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
It's time for Zizou's First Real Test.
No, really, i'm committed. I want to see how he measures up to Pep, Klopp, Tuchel, etc., and how much the CL-3peat-credentials are worth in a league that isn't a one or two horse race and over the course of a season with a gazillion fixtures.

LoneStar

Yes he would. No other top club has gone near him. For good reason too. No style of play and constant reliance on top players, oh and a crap ton of luck in cup games.
He lucked his way to 4 CLs and a league title? They mostly had the same team before and after, wonder why the other managers weren't so lucky. :houllier:

Red_toad

I wonder if he could get then best out of our French trio?
Ive no idea if he’d be the coach to take us forward, I fully expect him to take the French national job next, but he’d certainly be an upgrade on Ole

goptun

No, really, i'm committed. I want to see how he measures up to Pep, Klopp, Tuchel, etc., and how much the CL-3peat-credentials are worth in a league that isn't a one or two horse race and over the course of a season with a gazillion fixtures.
Would Bayern Munich take him? Would City or Liverpool? Chelsea surely would. I'm not trying to shit on Zidane, I'm just curious as to what his standing is, and how the teams we ought to be aspiring to view him.

Ondrej

If he hasn't already gotten a call from Woodward or anyone then I don't know what the feck are we doing.

IncyWincySpider

I get that he might not want the job long term but surely he can put up with a Cheshire mansion until May and ten million quid stuffed down his trousers? Then hand over to Ten Hag in the summer.

RepardReece

Your kidding me???

What does Zidane have that Ole doesn’t???

La Liga title - 2
Champions League Titles - 3
Domestic Cup Titles - 2

Ole is blessed with some unbelievable world class/Top Class talent in this United squad so giving it the all “Zidane was blessed with his squad” doesn’t add up.

You can have the best of the best on the pitch but they are performing the managing tactics and vision on the pitch, if that’s all wrong then you win nothing.

I’m not saying Zidane is some sort of messiah by any means but he’s proven to know how to hold together and direct the best of talents.

Peps the same, only ever managed with the best players but he does it exquisitely.

Ole……he does not, he’s got:

Ronaldo
Rashford
Cavani
Greenwood
Pogba
Varane
Fernandes
De Gea

All at his disposal with other players in between that are top players, and yet Ole is still producing dross performances from these players, this insanely incredible bunch of players.

Zidane would be a much better prospect than Ole all day and every day, because he’s proved he can get over the line with the big guys.
Brilliant post. Some people here saying he's not a great manager but has a track record like that. You really need to think again if you don't think he's that good of a manager.

How many other managers for one have won 3 champions leagues? Not even Guardiola.

JPRouve

Scout
I don't understand the Zidane-Klopp logic. Klopp was a manager for 15 years before joining Liverpool, doing a fantastic job and massively overachieving at both Mainz and Dortmund. He then made his name at the highest level at Liverpool. Zidane has already done that at his first job at his former club in Real Madrid. Surely Ten Hag-Klopp is a more similar path of progression than Zidane-Klopp? Not just in terms of career trajectory (although Klopp's work at Mainz and Dortmund is obviously far and away more impressive), but also in terms of being very hands-on in their approach to coaching.
Klopp was younger and still evolving, though it's true that he had more experience, the same is true for Zidane who used different approaches with Real Madrid and is younger. Ten Hag is in a more settled phase of his career, he hasn't really evolved much with Ajax, he is older and has coached longer than Zidane.

As for being hands-on, it's interesting that up until Buvac left, Klopp was supposed to not be that hands-on. As far as I have seen Zidane is as hands-on the training pitch as the likes of Guardiola, Klopp or Simeone and as far as I know they all have their assistant manager lead the training sessions.

Sviken

What impresses me about Zidane is not his CL 3peat, it's his second managerial stint at Madrid where he did amazingly well given the circumstances.

InfiniteBoredom

Being a bit skeptical of Zidane due to the lightning in a bottle nature of his 3 CLs is fine, I get that. But I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, even if you strip that away (when in reality, why would you?), he’s still a damn good, consistent league manager. 2 leagues, 2 second place finishes (by 1 and 2 pts respectively, one of them cutting a deficit of 12 pts down in 1), only one ‘bad’ season (76 pts, third place), and half of them without Ronaldo and a golfing Bale. If it’s any other manager, would there be the same skepticism applied?

It’s mad that winning 3 CLs is actually seen as something to be used against your record.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I think Zidane is more suitable for us at the present but I've read he has little interest in managing in the UK.

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
"First real test" that's extremely disengenious.

During his time at Real, La Liga was a 3 horse race, with 3 very good teams. Bayern should know because they got knocked out by all 3 of them in succession between 2015 and 2017. He still managed to win a few leagues and 3 CL's.

It wasn't like the Bundesliga you know, where a literal statue could be the Bayern coach and they'd still win the league.

VivaRonaldo85

Pros:
- Has won the biggest trophies in the game as manager in the last 5-10 years.
- Has worked with many big superstar name players before.
- Has worked at another global ‘named’ football club as manager.
- Is respected in football at all levels and will be respected by our players.
- Has the name and ego to go toe to toe with the three super managers currently in the PL.
- May get the best out of our French players, in particular Pogba.
- Is available.

Cons:
- No PL experience.
- Is his footballing philosophy/coached style of play obvious.

If I was a United Board member looking at that, I would be asking my CEO to pickup the phone to Zidane’s agents immediately.

Idxomer

Would Bayern Munich take him? Would City or Liverpool? Chelsea surely would. I'm not trying to shit on Zidane, I'm just curious as to what his standing is, and how the teams we ought to be aspiring to view him.
He would be perfect for Bayern.

talking robot

Pros:
- Has the name and ego to go toe to toe with the three super managers currently in the PL.
- Is available.

Cons:
- No PL experience.

If I was a United Board member looking at that, I would be asking my CEO to pickup the phone to Zidane’s agents immediately.
Another con: he doesn't speak english.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Pros:
- Is available.

Cons:
- No PL experience.

Doesn’t speak English has to be a big mark against

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
More noise seems to be around Conte, but for me, this is an incredibly obvious appointment (should he actually want the job, of course). He would definitely be my first choice.