Zlatan Ibrahimović: "I wasn't expecting very much of Ligue 1 when I signed for PSG..."

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
What does any of that have to do with what I said?

How was his brand declining? He's been an A list celebrity since he set foot in LA, that hadn't changed.
sorry meant in Europe. But even if it wasnt doesnt negate the rest of my post

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
He did, and don’t get me wrong at the end of the day charities benefited so that’s great. But to think he didn’t have ulterior motives is very naïve. He went to a very famous city at an emerging club which globally was getting bigger and bigger. Called a huge press conference to announce his aims and boom his brand which had been declining gets a huge boost.
At no point since he became famous his brand started declining.

united_99

see above

it matters not. It was still clearly aimed at furthering his brand
Not mainly imo as now he is not playing he keeps finding several ways to keep his brand, he didn't need PSG for that

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Not mainly imo as now he is not playing he keeps finding several ways to keep his brand, he didn't need PSG for that
PSG was one of those ways.

Sorry buddy as good as it was he didnt just do it out of the kindness of his heart. It was a very smart move and the club at that moment PSG was perfect. It worked great for PSG too, as they were becoming far more world popular and Becks helped that. There are now PSG tops in every sports shop. 5 years ago there wasnt

united_99

PSG was one of those ways.

Sorry buddy as good as it was he didnt just do it out of the kindness of his heart. It was a very smart move and the club at that moment PSG was perfect. It worked great for PSG too, as they were becoming far more world popular and Becks helped that. There are now PSG tops in every sports shop. 5 years ago there wasnt
Of course he didn't do it just for the charity, but main motivation must have been football as far as I am concerned. And you need to have the courage and fitness to compete with some really good footballers when you are already nearly 38. After all if he couldn't have cut it then the brand might take a negative hit.
The main reason he was making a bit less headlines in Europe and UK especially was simply because he lived in the US. Once he was back in Europe of course the headlines shifted from US to Europe as well.
As for charities well lot's of ppl and institutions don't do it just out of the kindness of their heart including football club foundations / charities, still ppl benefit because they do it regardless of the motives.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
I don't understand the crap he gets for playing bad in the euros. He was surrounded by farmers and its pretty difficult when your swarmed by the entire opposition team because they know someone else can't do anything.

He scored a goal that should've been counted and forced a goal against Ireland. That's more than some of the big stars have done.

steve88

I have got absolutely no idea where this idea comes from that players can either be massive egotistical knobs who are "born winners" or placid nobodies with no mental strength like Herrera or Mata.

Mata's last appearance in a United shirt saw him score in a Cup Final minutes after going behind. Ibra's last appearances for Sweden saw him doing nothing of note and bowing out without a goal in his last five games in a Swedish shirt.

There are a multitude of personality types that can win football matches. Frankly half of the people praising Ibrahimovic's "winning mentality" have been cheering Giggs' exit from the club, the most decorated player of all time.

Scholes was quiet and reserved. Keane was a firecracker who would get angry and rant and rave. Neville was a one club legend who fought for everything. Beckham seemed more interested in celebrity lifestyle than kicking a ball around a pitch. Yet all four of these players played for United in their most successful period.

At United at the moment there are around a dozen players who've had massive success, lifting either Champions Leagues or League Titles from around the world.

------------------DDG------------------
Valencia ----Jones----Smalling----Rojo
-------------Schweinsteiger----------
-----------Carrick----Mata------------
Young----------Rooney--------Depay

In that first 11 there every single player has won a high profile league title or the Champions League. Overall between them they have lifted 27 League Titles and Four Champions League trophies. The players who haven't won anything in our squad include players like Martial and Rashford who to be honest were probably our best players last season.

This "winning mentality" is at the club already. Otherwise we wouldn't have players who have won 27 league titles between them. Ibra can be an important player for us, but it's not like these players need someone to tell them they're winners. They know that already.
That is quite impressive I guess with thd new signing that list of titles increases mainly due to zlatan and Henrikh Mkhitaryan winning titles but why don't you count domestic cups to as the fa cup as it is a major trophy

ObelOitment Fungentula

Supports
Liverpool
Let's see:
Played for Juventus, Milan, Inter, Barcelona at top level for over a decade.
Get's questioned by overweight keyboard warriors for cashing in a mega paycheck to close out his career.

That's why most of you will die in debt.
That's just great!

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I don't doubt it for a minute. :lol: You'll get more annoyed when he'll get the Mata/Blind/Schweinsteiger treatment from the fanboys.

I'll change my name if he scores more than 15 league goals.
Yes no doubt...though it's usually harder to keep up the fanboy treatment for a striker performing badly, as it means goals don't get scored.

It's a lot easier to blame anyone other than Blind for us conceding a goal than it is/was to blame anyone other than Falcao for the fact he never scored any, for example.

He might work out and since we got him for free it's hard to argue against the logic of signing him...I'm excited to see him in a United shirt...but at the same time I have my suspicions about exactly what he'll offer at his age, and how happy he'll be to sit on the bench if he's not producing the goods. My money money would probably be on him and Jose not being best pals by the time this is over.

Bruno8

Those who are defending him should wait until he says something nasty about United when he leaves next summer.