Zlatan vs Rashford - Who Should Start?

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Luxury problem really but still relevant.

Zlatan gives us an aerial presence in the box that we we haven't had for a long time.
He is also a winner and have an aura around him that (i assume) gives the whole team a belief and confidence that we can win every game.

What he lacks is pace and mobility. Often he drops deep to get involved in the build up, but it leaves us lacking penetration up front which means we can't pin down teams as much.

Rashford is always trying to take on players and moves around a lot which takes defenders out of their positions and opens up space for other players to take advantage of.
He has pace, dribbling skills, hunger, clincal finishing.

Still a raw player, but not so much that he can't be a starter imo.

I feel the movement Rashford provides is pivotal in our style of playing, specially with Rooney being the #10.

Who do you want to be a starter? Choosing both is not an option! :nono:

Deleted member 101472

I think it should always depend on the opposition . When it's strong centre halves , id rather ibra and when it's smaller or ball playing ones I'd rather rashford . If both of them can be 100% happy with their role it's a win win bexause either way , you have an incredible impact sub . Rashford who can run at and scare the shit out of tired defenders , and ibra who can really bully them and take advantage of weary legs . Personally , I think they should always be subbing for one another.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Ibrahimovic of course.

Rashford does not have the experience or the maturity to handle the responsibility of leading our attack. At his age, he should always be congratulated for his positive contributions but never criticised for any shortcomings. Same applies with Martial. Likewise, these faster younger chaps are any their best as high impact subs when older experienced defenders are huffing and puffing after 75 minutes.

Ibrahimovic (along with Rooney, Mata, Mkhitaryan, Young etc) should play with full team responsibility and deliver consistent excellence. When they don't they should be criticised.

Mourinho has stocked us with the perfect set of players in attack this season.

Last edited:

Womp

idiot
There is too many games this season for one to be a guaranteed starter, both will benefit us throughout the season. Zlatan's mentality and experience and Rashford's youth and directness will both be of use to us this season.

Who plays should depend on our opponent and form/fatigue etc.

JustinC00

No clue how this is even a question if it's one of the either

Zlatan 10 times out of 10 right now.

Ideally for me though I'd start both

-----------Ibra
Martial-Mkhitaryan-Rashford

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
If we lack mobility it's Rooney we should take off, not Zlatan. There's no game where you don't want Zlatan.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Ibrahimovic vs small teams and Rashford vs big teams. :)

Red Stone

Both.

Rashford deserves to start over Martial, Mata and Rooney based on his performance in the Hull game and the other three's performances so far this season. Same goes for Mkhitaryan.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I'd go with Rashford up top with Zlatan in the 10 position.

I'd even like to see Rashford wide left with Martial up top and zlatan in the 10. See if we can get Martial firing again.

Rockets Redglare

Zlatan has started great and deserves his place. It's Rooney and Martial who should be worried about Rashford, not Zlatan.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

I'd go with Rashford up top with Zlatan in the 10 position.

I'd even like to see Rashford wide left with Martial up top and zlatan in the 10. See if we can get Martial firing again.
Zlatan as the #10 would never happen under Mourinho, he demands his #10 to defend a lot.

"A number 10 for me is an eight-and-a-half when the team loses the ball and the number 10 is a nine-and-a-half when the team has the ball.".

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Zlatan as the #10 would never happen under Mourinho, he demands his #10 to defend a lot.

"A number 10 for me is an eight-and-a-half when the team loses the ball and the number 10 is a nine-and-a-half when the team has the ball.".
True. Just thinking the amount of time he spends in the position both when we do and when we don't have the ball it would make sense.

Didn't he end up there when we were chasing a winner against hull?

3KDré

Both. Bring back the 4-4-2.

Just kidding. Ibra for sure. Rashford is a great option on the bench against tired legs- something we've sorely lacked for a long time.

Sylar

If its one or the other, Id say Ibra starts and Rashford as the sub is a great use of both.

Its crazy to think that Rashford is still only 18 right now.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Ibrahimovic of course. He is an automatic starter when fit. Rashford is a promising youngster but lets not kid ourselves because of some exciting performances, he isnt ready to lead the line and be the main man. He'll do well to have half the career Ibra had and Ibra is still at the top of his game.

Anyway, Rashford will get plenty of starts and sub appearances throughout the season to develop him. Threads like these are a bit ridiculous at this early stage.

fatboy

When (and if) Zlatan completes his two full seasons here before he leaves top level European football, Rashford will still be 20. Yes 20 years old.

It should never have to be Zlatan vs Rashford, both are going to start plenty of games. And two years from now, it'll be the perfect time for Rashford to take over as the main man leading the attack at United.

I think it should always depend on the opposition . When it's strong centre halves , id rather ibra and when it's smaller or ball playing ones I'd rather rashford . If both of them can be 100% happy with their role it's a win win bexause either way , you have an incredible impact sub . Rashford who can run at and scare the shit out of tired defenders , and ibra who can really bully them and take advantage of weary legs . Personally , I think they should always be subbing for one another.
Pretty much this.

As much as Ibra has been great with his goalscoring and physical presence, he has struggled to get involved in overall play as much as he was able to do at PSG (easier league, age etc, who knows). Against some teams we will prefer Rashford's pace to cover more of the pitch and put defences under pressure.

Oaencha

Play them both move Rooney to left
Not a chance; he's barely doing enough to warrant a starting spot at #10. Sticking him on the left would be madness. He's lost his pace, his first control, and can rarely beat a defender. Martial is my first choice; he just needs games. I would even have Depay or Lingard on the left before Rooney.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Is this really a question? I mean seriously, is this actually a question :lol:

Zlatan of course. I mean I'm as exited as much as the next guy about a young lad doing well but one CANNOT just wonder who to start between a world class player and a young lad doing well.

And it seems like people still don't know how to handle youngsters. You bed them in and give them occasional opportunities to shine and build their confidences, not thrust them in and expect to carry or share the load for one the favorite team to win the league.

These sort of cameos where he has a good 20 minutes capped by bagging a goal are perfect for Rashford so far. They give him and build plenty of confidences going forward.

There is a HUGE difference between playing the sub role and being trusted with leading the lines from the get go. The latter is much harder than the former and carries more burden and responsibilities than the former. We just cannot let a youngster still coming through and learning lead our lines, not this year where the aim is very high(winning or challenging for the league).

He'll have sub appearances, Europa and FA cup matches. The main events are given to Zlatan who should undoubtedly be trusted with the task at this level.

People still thinking that putting Rashford in the line up and expecting him to do it week in week out for us while being our main force going forward are naive an kneejerking(just like the media) and that's what we need this year(someone to deiver on a weekly basis and very consistent, something Rashford isn't anywhere near ready to do). And the harder it gets the less confident the lad becomes and this isn't the kind of mindset you want your youngster to find himself in.

He's being handled just fine, with moderate responsibilities, not the huge load of starting in our main line up in the league and expected to deliver week in week out.

Last edited:

sokol11

If we lack mobility it's Rooney we should take off, not Zlatan. There's no game where you don't want Zlatan.
Exacly, If you want to play Rashford put him anywhere across the front 3 but if not up to we should play Zlatan in a Rooney position.

Chip

If only one of them can play I think it has to be Zlatan, easily. A proven world class player at the pinnacle of his career as opposed to a (very) promising youngster who has played at this level for a total of 8 months? That shouldn't even be a discussing, to be honest. That's almost like asking whether Iheanacho or Aguero should start for City.

Rashford's going to get plenty of playing time anyway with loads of games in Europa and the domestic cups as well as substitutions and the occasional start in the PL. So it's not like there's any risk of him rotting at the bench and stagnating his development, which I think is the fear of many people and the reason why threads like these are created.

But ideally, I would like to see both play: Zlatan taking over the deeper role of Rooney and Rashford playing on top. I think that could potentially work out extremely well given Zlatan's excellent vision and link-up play and Rashford's speed and ability to get in behind the line.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
It's the wrong comparison, both should be starting, but if we are talkimg exclusively about the striker position then Ibra gets Otley vote.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Rashford as an impact sub is pretty ideal for us at the moment, and he'll get plenty of games. Zlatan is bona fide world class. Rashford will get plenty of chances throughout the season.

The question should be Rashford v "anyone in the other 3 attacking positions". Not Zlatan.

There are 2 really good formations, but both probably comes at the expense of Rooney.

Zlatan at 10, with Rashford upfront. Or Rashford at RW, with Mkhitaryan/Rooney/Mata at 10.

Martial's form aside.

Von Mistelroum

I know you said we can't choose both, but not starting both might really stunt Rashford. Like Chicharito, he could end up with the super sub label which might affect him in the long run. I think both, with Zlatan dropping deeper, would be perfect.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
It's the wrong comparison, both should be starting, but if we are talkimg exclusively about the striker position then Ibra gets Otley vote.
No Rashford can't be starting week in week out and expected to deliver.

Ibra can play as a 10 but it's still not ideal. Mou himself like his 10 to put in a shift in and this isn't something you'd expect from Ibra, and not to mention he's better as our striker.

And all other suggestions about Rashford playing from the wing for us are just silly at this point.