The xx

Easy V

Anybody else looking forward to their new album, Coexist? Their debut was excellent, and felt like the work of a seasoned band, with a complete musical view. I didn't really see how they could improve on that, without changing their sound considerably. But from what I've heard of their new stuff, this could be one of the albums of the year;

Any other fans here?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Big fan but I'm going to be waiting for the full album before listening to any of it.

They are defiantly one of those bands that make records rather than singles and you have to listen to it as a whole in order to fully appreciate it.

RedLars

Big fan but I'm going to be waiting for the full album before listening to any of it.

They are defiantly one of those bands that make records rather than singles and you have to listen to it as a whole in order to fully appreciate it.
Couldn't agree more. But I still listened to Angels and I thought it was very promising. This is my most anticipated for the year along with the fantastic new record from The Gaslight Anthem that just came out. I hope this is equally impressive!

Slevs

likes to play with penises
I don't really listen to albums, I take out a couple of tracks I like from each album and delete the rest of the songs. I have "Crystalized" and "Islands" from The xx, really love both tracks, though I haven't listened to their albums yet. I'll listen to these new ones, any older tracks I should listen to?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I used to do that but you're missing out. You can find some real hidden gems in albums.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I went to their concert at Open'er Festival earlier this Summer and liked it even though they were a bit boring. I loved their first album, I don't like Angels and most of the new songs they played at the concert.

Easy V

The new album leaked a couple of days ago, and I've been holding back on commenting on it until I let it sink in properly. On first listen, I was a little disappointed, as nothing seemed to stand out as much as their debut record. But I'm glad I stuck with it, as it's a really fantastic record. The production is far superior to their last album and songs like Angels, Chained, Fiction, Try, Sunset, Tides and Swept Away are every bit as good as what they've done in the past. Sunset is probably the best track here IMO.

JohnLocke

Haven't listened to any of the singles yet but am looking forward to the album release.

I think I saw the man from the xx in Belfast at stiff kitten one time. Not too sure though. Jimmy maybe?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Album has leaked indeed, Tides is just fecking amazing, great great great.

RedLars

Going to see them in concert tonight. Never seen them before, can't wait!

RedLars

Nice experience, but overall I thought the concert was a little boring. I don't feel they managed to translate the "magic" of their music to the live setting.

Danillaco

Out today on Spotify. Just in time for a roadtrip.

Did anyone heard it yet?

Stringer

Listened to it once this morning. Like the more vibrant, upbeat style especially after Coexist which was too 'minimal'. Jamie XX has definitely had far more influence on this one than their first two albums so if you like his work then I think you'll enjoy it.

Nickosaur

The best thing to come out of the whole xx thing was Jamie's work on Gil Scott Heron's I'm New Here.

But I am looking forward to this. Will give it a listen tonight.

SSSSnake

Saw them live at Glastonbury in 2013. Didn't have a clue who they were then but I do now. Great music.

Nickosaur

'I Dare You' is amazing. Liking the album, much more upbeat than Coexist. Jamie has more of an influence on this one.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I like them and they've definitely tried to broaden their palette but the phrasing on their vocals is now so familiar that they're starting to sound like a parody of themselves. And the structure of the songs doesn't help: she sings something 'intimate' to him, he sings something back, there's a decent chorus they do the insular singy thing again, another chorus, it ends. Do like On Hold though. Mainly because of Jamie xx.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Really good production, but the melodies seem weak to me (apart from On Hold)

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
'I Dare You' is amazing. Liking the album, much more upbeat than Coexist. Jamie has more of an influence on this one.
Seems like he's grabbed the reins on this one somewhat. A lot more sample heavy with a bit more behind each song.

It needed to be this progressive. Coexist was nice to listen to but it was a pretty vanilla album. Can't remember listening to it all the way through more than a couple of times. Both their debut and Jamie's solo records were genre defining.

I See You is a very good album, listening to it lots. Also, the vinyl boxset is delicious.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Nothing to do with this old Japanese series of films about a sexy assassin?
The original Japanese titles were XX: ......

<snip>

Last edited by a moderator: