Zidane praises Scholes

Uncle Junior

I'm sorry for yet another Scholes thread (what is all the Scholes praise and interviews (Wenger, his own interview, now Zidane) in the media all of a sudden recently about anyway?), but I think it deserves a thread of its own, rather than being lumped in another thread.

Former France star Zinedine Zidane: I regret not playing with Manchester United star Paul Scholes - Goal.com
Former France star Zinedine Zidane: I regret not playing with Manchester United star Paul Scholes

Legendary midfielder believes Englishman is in 'class of his own'

Zinedine Zidane admits that one of the biggest regrets of his career is not getting the chance to play with Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes.

England manager Fabio Capello is going to try and tempt the 35-year-old to come out of his six-year international retirement to join the Three Lions for Euro 2012 after failing to get the Red Devils star to return for the World Cup this summer.

Zidane praised Scholes as one of his the finest players that he competed against in his career, and states that he laments not being able to play alongside the Englishman.

It’s only natural to want to select your best players and there is no doubt for me that Paul Scholes is still in a class of his own,” Zidane told The Mirror.

He’s almost untouchable in what he does. I never tire of watching him play. You rarely come across the complete footballer, but Scholes is as close to it as you can get.

One of my regrets is that the opportunity to play alongside him never presented itself during my career.

The France legend praised Scholes for the way in which he made it difficult for other players on the pitch.

He was an extremely tough opponent to play against. You didn’t get any time on the ball when he was around. He would close you down and make your life terribly uncomfortable.

He is the type of player you want on your side, not in opposition because he could do so much damage.

He is very gifted. He makes the game look easy because he’s so much natural ability.”

Scholes has stated that he regrets not joining England in South Africa, but Zidane, who returned from retirement to lead France to the 2006 World Cup final, believes that the Englishman must not think about that now.

Life is full of regrets, but it doesn’t pay to look back.

When I returned I was given lots of time to consider my position. I’m not sure he was afforded the same luxury.

Dion

Not even Xavi and Iniesta would have gotten the ball off them with Keane behind those two...

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
I fecking love Paul Scholes. A once off, no one will ever be like him.

Lailiani

(Sadly not) Banned
At its best, United's midfield was probably one of the best midfields in football history, so there really was no need for Zidane.

Still, very high praise from a football legend - nice that a famous man like Zidane with many fans all around the globe gives him the credit he deserves.

Alex

At its best, United's midfield was probably one of the best midfields in football history, so there really was no need for Zidane.

Still, very high praise from a football legend - nice that a famous man like Zidane with many fans all around the globe gives him the credit he deserves.
That's a load of shit. That midfield won one cl with zidane keane and wholes they would have won three easily

Lailiani

(Sadly not) Banned
That's a load of shit. That midfield won one cl with zidane keane and wholes they would have won three easily
Football is more than adding some big-name players (otherwise Real Madrid would win the Champions League each year), it's also about chemistry and fitting together and our midfield was good and perfect as it was. I wouldn't have exchanged one of them for Zidane. Giggs-Scholes-Keane-Beckhham were as a combined midfield as perfect as it can get.

Neo_Mufc

Zidane at O.T..........stop it I'm foaming at the mouth.

What a player.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Football is more than adding some big-name players (otherwise Real Madrid would win the Champions League each year), it's also about chemistry and fitting together and our midfield was good and perfect as it was. I wouldn't have exchanged one of them for Zidane. Giggs-Scholes-Keane-Beckhham were as a combined midfield as perfect as it can get.
True true. For me the only thing that side lacked was Rivaldo upfront to partner Cole or Yorke. Now that would have been something else:drool:

Neutral

BTV
Why is there a sudden surge of Scholes praise-a-thons around footballing circles?
They are trying to make up for the fact, they ignored him for so much of his career. Never truly understanding what it is he did/does. The Xavi love in has gone bonkers the last 3 or so seasons, and in that time many journos have looked inwards, and seen...

"WOW, we have a player in England, who is English, and can play the same way!"

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
All this Scholesy lovin' is bound to have a backlash. Handball and/or red card at the Cottage today?
His ginger bollocks will fall out again.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
He played at OT a few months ago aswell.

I think it's definitely going to happen.

Chabon

We had the best four man midfield in British football history, and then, in 2001, we adopted a five man midfield by signing literally the best CM in the world at that time. Football doesn't always work out that way, especially when it comes to European football.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
I remember people here claiming Scholes isn't technical because he doesn't dribble past players:D

Jinn

The thing that pisses me off the most is the young unappreciating pricks that don't realise what a fantastic player united has. People complaining about Scholesy being a bad tackler etc, is just annoying when you consider what the man can do with the ball.

We will never get another!

The midfield that SAF created when he brought together the likes of Scholes, Becks, Keane and Giggs will never be achivied again. I would go as far as saying that Barca's midfield would not even compare to them in their prime. Lynch me if you want to, it's just the way i feel.

When you watched that midfield, even when they were down and out, you knew that something would happen. It's just the way it was, they never gave up, and that all stemmed from SAF. But no matter how good a coach SAF is, he is only as good as what he has to work with. He could trust that midfield! This is something that that is rare at present.

People wonder (some critics) why he keeps on selecting Fletch, this is the reason for it, he trust Fletcher. I think that this is what SAF is trying to look for in central midfield (Could be the reason why he hasnn't bought a midfielder as yet).

Anyway, i'm a bit drunk at the moment, so forgive my rant.

MacMUFC

Let's take Zidane on a free for this season.
Well it would certainly represent value in the market, wouldnt it?

RE the interview - I was absolutely awe-inspired reading that. Reading those words from a football legend like Zidane about Paul Scholes really makes you think to yourself - wow.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
That's just a very basic way of looking at it. Who do you sacrifice to make room for Zidane? Do you remove Cole or Yorke? Keane? Wholes? Put him on the right instead of Beckham?

Champions League titles are not the only measuring stick of a midfield.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...

United's 99 midfield was the best midfield ever

Widnes

I once heard Cantona suggested Zidane to Fergie before he went to Italy but we decided not to go for him, not sure how much truth was in that but if we got another player we tried to sign in 90's we could have had a team to dominate Europe.

Beckham------Keane-------Scholes-----Giggs
---------------Zidane----------------------
-----------------------Shearer--------------

Not sure if any teams could have lived with that but I suppose we done we done well for ourselves without them.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
----------------Keane---------------
Beckham-------Scholes---------Giggs
----------------Zidane--------------

Midfield heaven.

red2deadboy

----------------Keane---------------
Beckham-------Scholes---------Giggs
----------------Zidane--------------

heaven