Fantasy Football Draft

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I have always wondered if football was run like american sports with a draft what would happen. So see which players would be picked in the earlier rounds and which would be in the later rounds. For the sake of this game all players in football today are available to be picked. Lets have 8 different people involved (including me) and 14 rounds. Who else wants to be involved?? You should have a pretty good knowledge of football players worldwide and not just at United.

RULES:

Rules

* There are 8 members participating in this competition.
* The aim of the game is to select a team of 11 players along with 3 subs (one of whom has to be a GK) from all the current footballers playing.
* The participants will each take turns to select one player in ascending order (Participant 1 will select first, followed by Participant 2, then Partipant 3 etc.).
* Once the first round of the draft is complete (all 8 participants have chosen a player), the second round begins. It operates the same as the first draft, except this time in descending order (Participant 8 picks first, Participant 7 picks second, etc.). This is to ensure that those towards the end of the list get fair picks.
* Once you have posted your selection for any particular round of the draft, it is up to you to PM the person who is next in line to inform them that they are now allowed to make their choice. Remember the participants on either side of you, as these are the only 2 participants you will have to PM for the duration of the competition.
* You have 24 hours to post your selection. If you cannot make your post within 24 hours, the draft continues on as normal and it is up to you to post your selection at your earliest convenience.
* When selecting a player, it is important to remember that you are only picking them on their current form and age. Its important to consider yourseld as the owner/manager of a club and not pick players nearing the end of their careers only. A bit of youth wouldn't be remiss.
* When posting your selection, please post a picture of the player. You must also include an explanation of why you picked this player.
* You may pick any formation you choose, however a realistic formation is recommended as your team will be going up against another team from the competition and the rest of RedCafe will vote as to who they think would win in a match between the two.
* Once round 17 is complete, a new thread will be started where each participant gets on final chance to post their entire team, their tactics, why their team should win etc.

Current Order

1. Desert Eagle
2.Rood
3.Fort Boyard
4.KM
5.SharkyMcshark
6.Excal
7.the white pele
8.Stobzilla

Teams:
1.Desert Eagle- Messi, Torres, Schweinsteiger, Lampard, Alonso, Cech, Aguero, Bale, Ivanovic, Vermaelen, Sakho, Rodwell, Wilshere,

2.Rood- Ronaldo, Kaka, Rio, Eto'o, Alves, Busquets, Terry, Carrick, Van Der Sar, Leighton Baines, Berbatov, Giggs, Khedira

3.Fort Boyard- Xavi, Vidic, Ibrahimovic, Maicon, Pato, Mascherano, Carvalho, Cassano, Marcelo, Luka Modric, Joe Hart

4.KM- Iniesta, Evra, Drogba, Cheillini, Sagna, Nasri, Fletcher, Mueller, Pepe, Manuel Neuer, Aquilani, Song. sahin

5.SharkyMcshark- Villa, Scholes, De Rossi, Nesta, Cambiasso, Silva, Julio Cesar, Diego Milito, Abidal, David santon, Kompany, Stekelenburg, Park

6.Excal- Rooney, Nani, Ozil, Lahm, Puyol, Ramos, yaya toure, Buffon, Gattuso, David Luiz,Gourcuff, Higuain

7.The white pele- Sniejder, A. Cole, Pique, Pirlo, Tevez, Robinho, Cassilas, Banega, Rafael, Malouda, Gallas, Van De Vaart

8.Stobzilla- Essien, Fabregas, Gerrard, Lucio, Ribery, Robben, Reina, Samuel, J.Zanetti, Clichy.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Interesting threads but lets not limit it to the premier league this time and focus instead on the current crop of footballers in the world game. I'm curious as to whether Rooney would go above Tevez orvilla above Torres for example. Anyways are you in rood?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Sounds interesting, Count me in.

Erics_Collar

Also this was about a year and a half ago, by a poster called Eric's Collar.
Most of the fun was in picking the players, that all ran very smoothly. Some people lost interest in the competition part where they had to post tactics for their teams and all that malarky. Don't really blame them to be honest! :nervous:

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
1st pick is pretty obvious. Its got to be the best player on the planet, Leo Messi.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
It will start to get interesting at three. the first two are clearly the best two players on the planet though. I am also quite interested in stobzilla's pick at 8 cause he will have two in a row. A CB pairing perhaps?

Berlinknives

People need to think strategically, there are plenty of good wingers and forwards, someone pick a left-back before they run out. :D

arjwiz

Whereas I'm sure one can find 8 almost equally superior goalkeepers out there.

The White Pele

I can see this being a struggle once we get to the latter stages as I don't watch as much of the foreign leagues as I once did. I may have to appoint an assistant caftard in the Carlos Quieroz mould to tap into some hot overseas talent.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Oh look :rolleyes:

I bet Rood picks Ronaldo.
Yep

Individual Awards:

* Bravo Award (1): 2004
* FIFPro Special Young Player of the Year (2): 2004, 2005
* Portuguese Footballer of the Year (3): 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09
* UEFA Team of the Year (4): 2003–04, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09
* Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year (3): 2003-04, 2006–07, 2007–08
* FIFPro World XI (3): 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09
* Best Portuguese Footballer in Foreign Countries (3): 2006-07, 2007-08, 2008-09
* PFA Young Player of the Year (1): 2006–07
* PFA Players' Player of the Year (2): 2006–07, 2007-08
* PFA Fans' Player of the Year (2): 2006–07, 2007–08
* PFA Premier League Team of the Year (4): 2005–06, 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09
* FWA Footballer of the Year (2): 2006–07, 2007–08
* Barclays Player of the Season (2): 2006–07, 2007–08
* Premier League Player of the Month (4): November 2006, December 2006, January 2008, March 2008
* Premier League Golden Boot (1): 2007–08
* Barclays Merit Award (1): 2007–08
* UEFA Champions League Topscorer (1): 2007-08
* European Golden Shoe (1): 2007–08
* UEFA Club Forward of the Year (1): 2007–08
* UEFA Club Footballer of the Year (1): 2007–08
* FIFPro World Player of the Year (1): 2007–08
* FIFA Club World Cup Silver Ball (1): 2008
* Ballon d'Or (1): 2008
* FIFA World Player of the Year (1): 2008
* Onze d'Or (1): 2008
* World Soccer Player of the Year (1): 2008
* FIFA Ferenc Puskás Award (1): 2009

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
* The aim of the game is to select a team of 11 players along with 7 subs from all the current footballers playing.
Do we need that many players? A First XI in chosen formation will take long enough.
Last time we didnt manage to finish because the whole process just took way too long - was still enjoyable along the way though!

Anyway it is your idea so do as you please. But it is just a thought

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
Hmm now that the inevitable Ronaldo and Messi have been taken I actually found it reasonably difficult to choose where to go next with many great players to choose:

In the end I've gone with Xavi Hernandez:

Not such a great fan of Barcelona to be honest, but have loved this guy for years and feel that any midfield is enhanced greatly with his presence.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Me too, I was sure I was going to win.
I just checked and you were going to play me in the next round so no chance :D

It would actually be relatively easy to finish it, but it would need someone to take responsibility for sorting it out and you can count me out for a start

Im going to bump it for old times sake !

Erics_Collar

I just checked and you were going to play me in the next round so no chance :D

It would actually be relatively easy to finish it, but it would need someone to take responsibility for sorting it out and you can count me out for a start

Im going to bump it for old times sake !
Hey I think I was doing a pretty damn good job tbh.

It's not my fault that some people didn't bother sending me their tactics, they simply just lost interest.

Oh and Desert Eagle, my post above wasn't a declaration of interest so somebody else can take my place if they want. I don't think I could commit to giving this the commitment as I don't log in here every day.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Hey I think I was doing a pretty damn good job tbh.

It's not my fault that some people didn't bother sending me their tactics, they simply just lost interest.

Oh and Desert Eagle, my post above wasn't a declaration of interest so somebody else can take my place if they want. I don't think I could commit to giving this the commitment as I don't log in here every day.
Are you the original Erics Collar then? I thought you disappeared forever but then an imposter turned up and i got very confused :confused:

Edit: Just noticed you already posted in this thread - managed to miss that somehow.

You did do a good job and you should have just ignored the couple who lost interest - it was no reason to stop!

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Ok so I guess seven subs is a bit too much. I would like a bench though so lets make it 5 subs which have to include a goalie. Also my mistake Eric's Collar, I will replace you with Excal.

Erics_Collar

Are you the original Erics Collar then? I thought you disappeared forever but then an imposter turned up and i got very confused :confused:
I still post every now and then. There is indeed an imposter who stole my name off of an Eric Cantona youtube video he saw that I made - he probably didn't know I posted here too :lol:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I'll choose another Barcelona player(quite inevitable really)-
Andres Iniesta

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Three of the top 4 from barca. very interesting, if not completely unexpected.