UEFA Euro 2020 - Does anybody want it?

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
So Turkey have put in a bid, which will only be accepted if they fail in the Olympic Bid, and pretty much no one else have. The application process ends in under a month.

Fair enough a lot of Europe are hurting from the economic slowdown, but come on another country has to be interested somewhere. Germany, England, Scotland-Ireland?

Has Platini screwed up the system with this 24 team idea?

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Don't they want to stop joint bids anyway.

I much prefer a single country as host but it sure does limit the possibilities.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
The shift to a 24-team tournament means the likes of Scotland and Ireland may be able to qualify but will no longer have much chance of hosting it. Surprised there's not been a political push for it in Scotland, but I think we've had our fingers burned after the unsuccessful bid for 2012. There's also the realisation that some of the smaller SPL teams would have to settle for big empty stadia that only serve to create crap atmospheres.

rcoobc

I guess the real white elephant is England. Haven't been affected by the Economic downturn as much as Italy and Spain, could probably hold the competition tomorrow (ish), a lot of clubs are crying out for investment into their stadiums such as Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool, Everton. Although saying that I can't see the FA bothering with investing in London Clubs with the Emirates and Wembley.

An England-Wales bit would be perfect as long as England could host the majority of games.

rcoobc

Ish? We hosted it fine 16 years ago!
16 teams, not 24. And you think we'd need some time to get hotels ready. And Liverpool, Nottingham, and somewhere south like Portsmouth would want to redevelop stadiums.

mo0

Platini already endorsing Turkey, which to me is right in line with these FIFA World Cup votes...there's been no final say on the candidate list yet! and there won't be until 2013!

rcoobc

Turkey is rather far away from the rest of Europe. Russia followed by Turkey followed by Qatar. None too far away, none near enough.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Scotland should've gone for it. We've got a few decent stadiums, although I guess the problem is that most of them are in Glasgow.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Not sure about Turkey in June, bit hot if you ask me. But in principle I would love to see Turkey get it.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
There aren't 24 good teams in Europe, we'll end up with groups that will be of exactly the same quality as in qualifiers albeit without the last two or three crap teams in each group.

Italy have run for the last two, 2012 and 2016, so they will obviously make an effort again. Didn't Croatia and Hungary want it? I wouldn't give it to them though as they'll have nothing to do with stadiums after Euro is finished, much like Poland.

Sarni

Stadiums in Poznań and Wrocław might be filled in 60% if both teams are still competitive, more for the most attractive games, about five times a year. With tickets costing 40 zloties (£8) on average, it'll generate less than a million zloties per game which isn't enough. Only about 15 to 20 million zloties (£3m to £4m) of gameday revenue per season, plus whatever they can make in Europe.

In Gdańsk there will be trouble filling more than 30% of it if Lechia go down this season. That particular stadium won't even pay for interest.

rcoobc

List of European Stadiums by Capacity

It's a shame that so many larger stadiums in Britain share the same city, Wembley and the Emirates, Old Trafford and the City of Manchester, Celtic, Hampden and Ibrox, Millennium and Cardiff (although big difference there) even Stadium of Light and St James's Park.

Of course some might say that is perfect in some ways as you could all the teams from each group around one city. UEFA and FIFA disagree.

Sarni

List of European Stadiums by Capacity

It's a shame that so many larger stadiums in Britain share the same city, Wembley and the Emirates, Old Trafford and the City of Manchester, Celtic, Hampden and Ibrox, Millennium and Cardiff (although big difference there) even Stadium of Light and St James's Park.

Of course some might say that is perfect in some ways as you could all the teams from each group around one city. UEFA and FIFA disagree.
I think they'll allow two stadiums in one city in one or two cases. Saint Denis and Paris are 10 km apart.

rcoobc

For the World Cup the common idea was that only one city could have multiple stadiums. It could be different in the Euroes.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
England should try to host it and United could get them to invest in building up the South Stand. ;)

Also, the Final would really need to be held in the northwest since it's the heart of football in England.

rcoobc

Not Germany

Germany will not bid to host the Euro 2020 soccer championships, the country's football association said on Friday, ending months of speculation regarding the football crazy nation's intentions.
Germany, hosts of the 2006 World Cup and the 2011 women's World Cup, said it was the turn for other countries to stage one of the world's top sporting events.
"The thought of welcoming the continent's best teams and their fans in Germany is naturally very attractive," said German football association (DFB) president Wolfgang Niersbach in a statement.
"But after the 2006 and 2011 World Cups it is the right of other countries to take over the hospitality role."
So far only Turkey have submitted their declared interest while Azerbaijan and Georgia have said they are planning to file a joint bid.
The deadline for a declaration of interest is May 15.
The tournament, first staged with four teams in 1960, will have 24 finalists from 2016 onwards which limits the number of countries who can stage it single-handedly.
Turkey lost out by a single vote to France in a bid to stage the 2016 final
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/27042012/2/germany-tells-uefa-bid-euro-2020.html

lysglimt

Scout
There aren't 24 good teams in Europe, we'll end up with groups that will be of exactly the same quality as in qualifiers albeit without the last two or three crap teams in each group.

Italy have run for the last two, 2012 and 2016, so they will obviously make an effort again. Didn't Croatia and Hungary want it? I wouldn't give it to them though as they'll have nothing to do with stadiums after Euro is finished, much like Poland.
Depends what you consider good...

France, Italy, Russia, Holland, Belgium (at least in a few years time), England, Ireland, Spain, Portugal, Sweden, Denmark, Ukraine, Croatia, Serbia, Greece, Wales(look promising in a few years time), Germany, Turkey, Slovenia, Czech republic, Slovakia and Switzerland- all these teams certainly are more than decent - there you have 22

In addition you have Scotland, Norway, Bulgaria, Rumania, Austria, Poland - just to name a few...

Everyone of these 28 teams (and I can think of a few more) could do well with a bit of luck....

so I don't agree with you. In my opinion - there are probably about 25-30 really good teams in Europe. Of course there are only about 3-4 world-class teams but remove those maybe 4 teams - and every other team could easily lose to a 25th ranked team

Amir

I just wouldn't consider the top 25-30 international sides in Europe to be 'really good'. I'd say that behind the first, say, 12 teams, some of which are terrific and others are very good, you've got maybe a couple of dozen decent sides, nothing more. Normally the few of them who are really good at a certain period make it into a Euro or a World Cup. Like Slovakia were good enough to make it into the last World Cup but couldn't sustain it in order to make it through to this summer's tournament.

With the 24-team format, even those are aren't at the height of their power will make it through. It's gonna be loooooooooong first round.

Gee Male

The Republic of Ireland, Scotland and Wales have formally declared an interest in hosting Euro 2020, it can be disclosed.

The countries have told UEFA that they would be interested in bidding to host the European Championships on a three-way basis.

So far Turkey are the only other nation to inform UEFA that they want to want host the tournament.

A source close to UEFA has confirmed that a written expression of interest from the three 'Celtic' countries has been submitted to the European governing body.

UEFA have a deadline of midnight tonight for any other declarations of interest.

Bidders would need to put forward up to 10 stadiums to host matches in the European Championships, which is being expanded from 16 teams to 24 from 2016.

Scotland and Wales would struggle to provide that number of stadiums to satisfy UEFA requirements but Ireland's involvement would cover the shortfall.

The formal declaration of interest does not commit the three countries to proceeding with a bid however - a decision is not due to be taken by UEFA for 18 months.

The countries have not fared well in the past in bidding for the tournament. Scotland and the Republic of Ireland bid jointly for Euro 2008 but were one of the first to be eliminated, and Scotland and Wales considered bidding jointly for Euro 2016 but decided against it.

Turkey's bid is in some disarray already because their FA has been engulfed by allegations of corruption and match-fixing in Turkish football, and it also conflicts with Istanbul's bid to land the Olympics in the same year.

UEFA president Michel Platini had signalled he would support's Turkey bid but only if Istanbul fails in its Olympic bid.

Scottish Football Association chief executive Stewart Regan said the idea of bidding for Euro 2020 had been discussed but would not confirm or deny whether an expression of interest had been made.

Regan told insidethegames.biz: "I'm not able to comment publicly at this stage because it has not gone to our board but there will be an exchange of correspondence before the deadline.

"It's obviously something that has been discussed."

Asked if Scotland and Wales would be able to meet the UEFA criteria for stadiums, Regan replied: "There are other ways of skinning a cat and alternative ways of being considered for a major tournament."
http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2012/0515/320958-ireland-may-become-part-of-three-way-bid/

rcoobc

Ireland, Wales and Scotland have confirmed they are considering putting forward a triple bid.

Edit - Damn you Gee Male

rcoobc

If they do stick to a 24 team format, that would imply that Wales, Ireland and Scotland need 4 high quality stadiums each.

Wales have the Millennium holding 70,000 in Cardiff, then Cardiff City which holds 28,000 and the Liberty stadium which holds 20,500.

Scotland have Celtic, Hampden and Ibrox all in Glasgow all of which hold more than 50,000.

Ireland have lots but most of them are Gaelic sports.

Edit -

Nine stadiums were required for the competition in four years' time, with two having a capacity of over 50,000 seats, three with 40,000 seats and four with 30,000 seats.

France, the hosts in 2016, are now using ten stadiums and it remains to be seen whether UEFA will amend the criteria for 2020.

A joint bid for Euro 2008 between Scotland and Ireland fell at the final stage ten years ago, with the competition hosting rights being awarded to Austria and Switzerland.

Wales and Scotland also considered bidding for the 2016 tournament three years ago but pulled out of the running.
Perhaps they could do it then

Ruud_boy_10

Why cant Turkey host the Euros and the Olymics in 2020. Its not like they're taking place at the same time.

rcoobc

Why cant Turkey host the Euros and the Olymics in 2020. Its not like they're taking place at the same time.
Is the Summer Olympics held at a specific time? I had a feeling it was moved about depending on the nation hosting.

Anyway it would be a little crazy to hold both. I'm not sure if it is technically feasible or not due to security restrictions, but financially it would be hard on that nation. 9 Football stadiums (minus one if you can use the Olympic Stadium), Olympic Stadium, Aquatics Stadium, Basketball Arena, Field Hockey Stadium, Velodrome.

Edit - Olympic Village, Hotels, Public Transport...

rcoobc

I'm really quite excited that this triple bid could get off the grounds. If no one else comes forward by tuesday it will be between Ireland-Wales-Scotland, Georgia and Turkey.

Personally I think Georgia would struggle to complete a bid for a 24 team tournament. It is a long way from the rest of Europe which could put off fans but who knows with Football politics. list of football/rugby stadiums in Georgia

Turkey are obviously favourites but who the feck knows. Maybe they will get the Olympics, maybe they won't be favoured.