UEFA Euro 2020 - Does anybody want it?

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Platini has said that it could be held in 12 or 13 different countries across Europe. Stupidest idea I've ever heard - the costs for the average fan would be astronomical with all the travel needed.

And it won't be much good for the players either.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Platini has said that it could be held in 12 or 13 different countries across Europe. Stupidest idea I've ever heard - the costs for the average fan would be astronomical with all the travel needed.

Depends on the structure. Each group could still be located in 2 cities which are not far from each other.
It's the knockout round which gets tricky. But even in this tournament there were big distances between western Poland and Eastern Ukraine.

pauldyson1uk

The man is an idiot, one of the daftest idea I have heard of him
The Euro's need a host country or it takes the shine of the tournament.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Depends on the structure. Each group could still be located in 2 cities which are not far from each other.
It's the knockout round which gets tricky. But even in this tournament there were big distances between western Poland and Eastern Ukraine.
Indeed, 12 or 13 seems silly but if we're going for 24 teams then 6 countries could handle it - each group would be in a single country.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Can't believe I just wrote a nice long post for the closed thread :(

But I actually think it could be a good idea.

rcoobc

Indeed, 12 or 13 seems silly but if we're going for 24 teams then 6 countries could handle it - each group would be in a single country.
Or two cities next to each other.

Paris and London
Milan and Monaco
Lisbon and Madrid
Berlin and Amsterdam
Munich and whoever.

Would work well, getting from Paris to London and back is easy. It would only be in the knockouts where you would be travelling across Europe. Travelling across Europe is much easier than travelling across Brazil or South Africa

Crustanoid

This guy is the president of all things football for the entire continent

Sarni

Or two cities next to each other.

Paris and London
Milan and Monaco
Lisbon and Madrid
Berlin and Amsterdam
Munich and whoever.

Would work well, getting from Paris to London and back is easy. It would only be in the knockouts where you would be travelling across Europe. Travelling across Europe is much easier than travelling across Brazil or South Africa
Indeed, and when they had the World Cup in the US distances were also huge.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
I like the idea of a Celtic bid from Scotland, Wales and Republic of Ireland.
Croke Park - 82500
Semple Stadium - 55000
The Aviva stadium - 51700
Gaelic Grounds - 50000
Páirc Uí Chaoimh - 43500
FitzGerald Stadium - 43000
McHale Park - 42000

Ireland would be well capable.

JakeC

Scotland has

Murrayfield - 67000
Celtic Park - 61000
Hampden Park - 52000
Ibrox Stadium - 51000

JakeC

In Wales theres

The Millenium stadium - 76000

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Croke Park - 82500
Semple Stadium - 55000
The Aviva stadium - 51700
Gaelic Grounds - 50000
Páirc Uí Chaoimh - 43500
FitzGerald Stadium - 43000
McHale Park - 42000

Ireland would be well capable.
I believe UEFA likes seats, not stands. So FitzGerald Stadium only has 9000. Not sure about the Gaelic grounds or Pairc UI Chaoimh.

In any event, using GAA grounds would be problematic...

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Actually the Isle of Man and Cornwall are celtic too.

But the tax-dodgers in the IOM are too posh to watch football, and people from cornwall have too many fingers to build stadiums.

The man is an idiot, one of the daftest idea I have heard of him
The Euro's need a host country or it takes the shine of the tournament.
He's trying to make the European Championships like the Champions League. From what i've heard so far i'm leaning towards that being a bad idea. I agree that there's something special about a bidding process for a host nation/s to have the tournament. It focuses everything on them and allows them to showcase what they have to offer for visiting fans and the viewing public. This stands to dilute the whole experience.

Platini should focus on what really matters; refereeing standards, financial fair play and corruption.

rcoobc

Wembley put forward as venue for new-look Euro 2020 final
• Uefa's president, Michel Platini, considers change of format
• FA turnover hits record £329m in 2011

The Football Association has proposed Wembley to Uefa as the venue for the Euro 2020 final. Michel Platini is considering a change to the format of the tournament so that it would be played in cities across Europe rather than in one or two countries.

It is understood the FA chairman, David Bernstein, met Uefa's president last week and registered the association's interest in Wembley staging the final. The offer, if successful, could also mean one or both Euro 2020 semi-finals being held in London – Platini's idea is that one city should host the climax of the tournament.
Wembley's chances are linked to Turkey's bid for Euro 2020. If Istanbul wins the right to host the Olympics in that year then Uefa will not countenance Turkey hosting the Euros.

In that case, Platini's new format would be much more likely to come about, and Uefa's liking for Wembley – it was a record-breaking venue in terms of finances for the Champions League final last year and will host it again in 2013 – would give London a real chance of being selected.

The success of the Champions League final at Wembley in 2011, which brought in more than £11m for the FA, contributed to record turnover of £329m for the ruling body last year – up 8% – and a profit after tax of £40m, up from £9m in 2010.

The FA has also agreed a fixed rental price with Uefa for next year's final, which coincides with the FA's 150th anniversary, so it will earn a fixed sum whatever the ticket prices and sales.

Bernstein's discussions with Platini also covered the future of Britain's Fifa vice-presidency. The Frenchman has suggested keeping the position, which is under threat due to Fifa's modernisation and reform programme, but that all 53 Uefa countries vote for candidates nominated by the four home nations.

The FA is thought to be ambivalent about that idea and is willing to see the vice-presidency abolished if it maintains its place on the game's law-making body, the International FA Board.

Meanwhile the FA has not given up hope of having goalline technology systems in place for this season's semi-finals and final of the FA Cup, and has agreed to tender for a system jointly with the Premier League.

It's going to happen isn't it.

Sarni

It could work if they held each group in one country or two bordering countries. I don't know how they'd solve hosts problem as you couldn't have a host of each group qualifying automatically and I don't think you should even have them playing at home.

Logistically it isn't more difficult than hosting a World Cup in the US or Australia.

Doogie

It could work if they held each group in one country or two bordering countries. I don't know how they'd solve hosts problem as you couldn't have a host of each group qualifying automatically and I don't think you should even have them playing at home.

Logistically it isn't more difficult than hosting a World Cup in the US or Australia.
I don't think any "host" country should qualify automatically. Agree with your last sentence.

This could mean the games are played at the biggest stadium around Europe, thus giving more people the chance to attend.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
It's going to happen isn't it.
If the reports about the 2011 Champions League final being the most lucrative in history are accurate (and it's getting another go at the final again in May) then I'd certainly expect so.

Sarni

I don't think any "host" country should qualify automatically. Agree with your last sentence.

This could mean the games are played at the biggest stadium around Europe, thus giving more people the chance to attend.
Normally I think host should qualify. It's always been like that from what I know and it'd be daft to change it. You'd be opening up two slots at most and risking the situation where the host country spends billions on organising the whole thing and doesn't even participate, completely disregarding what playing in these tournaments at your own turf does to the emotions of local population - and I know it first hand after last Euro.

Irwinwastheking

Gimpier than Alex and Feeky
It's a load of old shit IMO. The competition should be held in one-two countries and it allows scenes like we see at these competitions to be widespread. The whole place turns into football mecca for the few weeks. This is done for more $$ simple as that!

rcoobc

Although the perennial conflict of club versus country is at the heart of the winter break debate, Scudamore acknowledges that the Premier League benefited hugely from the feelgood factor generated by Euro 96, the last major football tournament staged in England.

Since then, the Premier League has joined forces with the FA on the failed bids to stage the 2006 and 2018 World Cups, but with Uefa struggling to find a suitable host for Euro 2020 – the format of the competition is also under review - Scudamore admits the Premier League would welcome a bid to host the tournament.

“We all remember Euro 96 and what a boost that was for football,” Scudamore said. “I think when the story of the Premier League is written, don’t under-estimate the turbo charge we all got from football coming home in 1996.
“It’s a component part of why the Premier League is successful, so would the Premier League get a boost from Euro 2020? Absolutely, yes. That’s why we were 100 per cent behind, and funded, the 2006 bid and why we were behind the whole 2018 (World Cup) bid.

“We were there on the day, doing what we could. It clearly wasn’t enough, but we would be there once again if we go for 2020. It is up for the FA to sit down and constitutionally decide, but the Premier League would always be there, as we have been with every bid the FA has wanted to make.”
By striking a £3 billion domestic TV rights deal earlier this year, which will come into force at the beginning of next season, Premier League clubs are set to benefit from another huge financial windfall.

But while Scudamore admits that escalating player wages are a concern, there is an acceptance that the top stars will always command a high price.
“We are in a unique situation where even the players’ union accept that the players don’t really need any more money,” Scudamore said. “But that is the logical and rational side of us talking.

“It is a competitive market, a global market, so some of that [new deal] money will find its way into wages and transfer fees. It is bound to have an impact, but clubs are talking right now to look at further financial regulation to make sure some of this money is used to ensure clubs remain sustainable.
“Our priority at the Premier League is to ensure that clubs are sustainable and here for the next generation.”
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...r-League-considering-taking-winter-break.html

Bring it home.