£11 million for McGeady

Brophs

The One and Only
It's hard to judge him. For Ireland he's been somewhere between mediocre and a non-entity, combined with those occasional moments of briliance. The Scottish league gives you very little indication of how good a player they'll be down south, as the quality of opponents is poor. That said, with the right manager, he could be a decent mid-to-second tier player.

redhoop

He has the talent to suceed dahn saaf - I'm not sure about the temperament. He can be a little bratty at times but this can change with maturity. When he is in the zone, he can be sublime but he does make you chuck things with frustration - but hey ho, so can Sir Giggsy. I am glad Celtic have put a big tag on him - goodness knows the Bhoys can't afford to be losing any more quality players.

Widnes

A couple of seasons ago I wouldn't have thought we could expect anything like that much, but this season is his best yet. He's been outstanding since Strachan left (albeit in a fairly poor team).

Trying to figure out what a player's "worth" is impossible; looking at the market to figure out how much you think you could get is realistic. Birmingham have money to burn and play in a league where diddies who don't have half Aiden's skill and potential get bought and sold every window for more than £11m. It doesn't make sense for Celtic to sell him for anything less.

Remind me how much you paid for Nani again?[/QUOTE]

think it was actually about 7/8m with potential to raise higher, although Nani would destroy the SPL and be like Ronaldo in that league and I really do mean destroy that league.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
think it was actually about 7/8m with potential to raise higher, although Nani would destroy the SPL and be like Ronaldo in that league and I really do mean destroy that league.
Granted he'd be much more effective, but he was only netting 4-5 goals a season in the Portuguese league.

Anna_Livia

A jumped up pantry bhoy, who never knew his place.
Has anyone actually been in for him? Or are Celtic just whoring him about?
We knocked back an £8m bid from Brum, as far as I know. We're not whoring him about at all - quite the opposite. We don't want/can't really afford to lose him.

Having said that, it's a financial reality that if someone offered enough money we'd let him go.

Anna_Livia

Don't worry, you're apparently interested in getting Adriano Pellegrino as a replacement. You have fun with that now.
I haven't seen much to suggest that's true. Still, we do seem to be signing up dozens of young players in the hope that one or two turn out not to be shite, so you never know...

We've got Niall McGinn to come in on the right and Maloney on the left, so we're pretty well covered for wide players.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
i remember stillian petrov came down and went from being one of the best in the scottish league to being a basic non entity in the prem. Yes he is there but he is just average in the prem

the same would happen to McGeady. He is no better than average and in my opinion he is far too light

Berlinknives

I haven't seen much to suggest that's true. Still, we do seem to be signing up dozens of young players in the hope that one or two turn out not to be shite, so you never know...

We've got Niall McGinn to come in on the right and Maloney on the left, so we're pretty well covered for wide players.
I take it that Paddy McCourt's on the treatment table again.

Berlinknives

The SPL has produced a few gems to be fair.

Stillian Petrov's a regular Villa player under Marty O'Neill. Celtic could also claim Larrson and Lambert. You could add Viduka to the list as well.

Think Rangers have had a few, Gattuso, Cuellar and Van Bronckhorst spring to mind

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Looks like he could well be off to Spartak Moscow - didn't play in the Braga game midweek to avoid getting cup-tied.

Offer tabled for Celtic's McGeady | Football | STV Sport
Offer tabled for Celtic's McGeady

A "big bid" has been tabled for Aiden McGeady, according to Neil Lennon, with Spartak Moscow believed to be the club behind the offer.

Aiden McGeady was left out of Celtic's Champions League game with Braga and is now subject to an offer from elsewhere. Pic: ©SNS Group

Neil Lennon has confirmed Celtic have received a “big bid” for winger Aiden McGeady, with Russian club Spartak Moscow believed to be the interested party. The Republic of Ireland international has been subject to recent interest from Spartak and has also been linked with a move to Aston Villa.

Speaking ahead of his team's participation in the Emirates Cup this weekend, Lennon was pressed on the future of McGeady, who sat out the 3-0 Champions League third qualifying round defeat to Braga earlier in the week through injury.

Spartak's technical director Evgeniy Smolencev is understood to have been in Glasgow during the week discussing an offer for the 24-year-old with Celtic officials. Whether Smolencev left having presented a formal bid for McGeady remains unclear but, in the meantime, McGeady is yet to be approached for his thoughts on moving away from Glasgow.

When asked whether there had been an offer from Spartak, Lennon replied: “You know he is, you know he is subject of a bid from Moscow,” before adding: “But he's here, he's still with us and he'll take part in this competition.

“I'm talking like he's gone, which is not the case at all. But there has been a big bid from a club on the table. There is strong interest, not just from Moscow. We believe there's interest from other clubs as well.

“He's a big player for us and he has been for a number of seasons now. He was very important to me in the run-in last season. He's a talented player, very talented player.

“But every player has his price, sometimes we can't stand in the way of that. If it's right for the club, the offer, and right for the player, then it's hard to stop these things going through.”

Whether McGeady would be tempted to switch to the Russian capital remains to be seen, with Aston Villa's potential interest likely to hold greater appeal. Nonetheless, his current manager believes he will flourish wherever he finds himself in the future.

“I think he would do well anywhere,” said Lennon. “He's a top quality player and has been for a number of years since he come onto the scene in 2005. He's a player who works really hard at his game and tries to get better at everything he does.”

Ferguson

I really rate McGeady, and I think 11 million sounds about right in this market. I'm surprised at all the negativity about him in this thread.

Lance Uppercut

Celtic manager Neil Lennon has admitted he has resigned himself to Aiden McGeady leaving the club and cannot now see him heading anywhere but Spartak Moscow.

Lennon spoke to the midfielder since his visit to Moscow and believes the trip has sold McGeady on the £9.5million move.

Celtic lost their final pre-season game 2-1 at home to Blackburn without McGeady being involved and Lennon, who claims he will receive "all the money" from any sale, believes the transfer could be sealed within 48 hours.

He said: "He was in yesterday and more or less said his goodbyes really so we'll see how that develops over the next one or two days. I would probably think it will be Moscow.

"He's going to go to Moscow in the next few days and get the deal finalised and that will be a relief in terms of putting the deal to bed because the sooner it's done the better. I'll get all the money.

"I won't be relieved at Aiden going because I'll be losing my best player and nobody wants to do that, but we feel it's good money for a top player.

"Having spoken to him yesterday he seemed a lot more settled. He said he liked what he saw. I'd like to think the way he was talking, this is the club he will go to unless something happens last minute."

It is understood McGeady would prefer to move to the Premier League and he has been linked with Aston Villa, managed by his former Celtic boss Martin O'Neill, but Lennon doubts there will be a twist in the tale.

He added: "From what I gather it should get done over the next couple of days.

"It's not England, but you can't always get what you want in football. He's going to a big club with a decent pedigree and it might develop him further. All we can do is wish him the best."
Football365

Good luck learning Russian.

Karel_Poborsky

I know the weather in Scotland isn't exactly great, especially in winter. But fancy going to play football in Russia for a living... They don't even have grass pitches ffs because the grass freezes over too often. Rather him than me.

Viper KGB

McGeady wraps up Spartak transfer

Republic of Ireland winger Aiden McGeady has completed his move to Spartak Moscow from Celtic, signing a four-year contract.

The 24-year-old had been linked with a move to England, but will now head to eastern Europe in a deal believed to be close to £10million.

McGeady told Celtic's official website: "I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone at Celtic Football Club for making my time here so enjoyable and memorable.

"The Celtic fans are second to none and it is a fantastic club to play for."

He added: "Celtic is the team I have supported my whole life and will miss so many things, however I am looking forward to the challenge of playing for Spartak Moscow.

"I wish the current players and management all the very best for the season ahead and I will be back whenever I can to cheer the team on."

While no fee has been mentioned, it has been widely reported that Celtic will receive £9.5million for a player who came through the Parkhead youth system.

Hoops boss Neil Lennon commented: "I would like to wish Aiden all the best with his move to Spartak Moscow.

"It is obviously a disappointment to lose a player with Aiden's talent. However, it was his desire to try and further his career in pastures new and I respect his decision.

"Spartak Moscow are a good club and I am sure Aiden will do very well there.

"I would like to wish Aiden and his family the very best of luck for the future."

McGeady made his Celtic debut in April 2004 when he scored in the 1-1 draw against Hearts at Tynecastle.

He would go on to make 252 appearances for the Hoops, scoring 37 goals.

He won three SPL league titles with the club, as well as two Scottish Cups and two League Cups, including the 2008/09 League Cup when he scored in the 2-0 victory over Rangers at Hampden. He has also won 28 caps for the Republic of Ireland.
TEAMtalk | Football | Scottish Premier League News - McGeady wraps up Spartak transfer

Valeri Karpin last night slammed all the criticism of his mega-bucks move for Aiden McGeady and said he has smuggled a £10million gem into Moscow.

The Spartak boss has rounded on cynics who have questioned the decision to splash such a huge sum of money on the departing Celtic ace.

Karpin and club owner Leonid Fedun have pushed the boat out to land McGeady and agreed to the bulky transfer fee demands of Parkhead chief executive Peter Lawwell.

But Spartak supporters are stunned at the hefty nature of the fee - and sceptical about excessive personal terms handed to the winger.

McGeady is set to land £40,000 a week tax free over the next four years after agreeing to switch to the Russian capital.

But Karpin is unmoved by the cynicism and is adamant he has landed a sure-fire winner.

The Spartak boss revealed his mind was made up over the McGeady deal at a dinner date in Moscow last Wednesday night. The Republic of Ireland international travelled to Russia that week to look at his potential new home with his agent.

And Karpin fell in love with the winger over the starters during their first evening out. Karpin explained: "I met with him when he was over here and McGeady did not strike me as your typical footballer of these times.

"All he wanted to really speak about was the footballing side of things and I was taken aback by his knowledge of the history of the game.

"McGeady would speak to me about goals and goalscorers from World Cups in 1966 and 1970. It came as a surprise to me.

"There was never much talk about anything other than football.

"He wanted to know who the leaders were in Russian football, who were the rivals of Spartak, who were the best players in the league, when the championship was played and in how many parts. These type of topics.

"McGeady always wanted to talk football. He wanted to speak to me about how Spartak play the game and how I would wish to use him within the team.

"Having spoken with him, I'm sure he will be a good player for us."

The Russian media have made a huge play of the terms offered to the winger and were hysterical over apparent demands made by him. McGeady was reported to have insisted on a bodyguard, a cook and a driver among a list of wants.

But Karpin hammered down such myths and made it clear he and Fedun would not have entertained such behaviour.

He said: "If any player had come to Spartak and begun speaking in this manner then we would not even have spoken back to them.

"McGeady had only two real questions for me about non-football matters and I could understand both.

"He said it was the first time he would be moving to an unknown city and it would be difficult with the system of the roads.

"We have said there would be a driver for the first three months. Is this news? Many players in the Russian league have drivers.

"And secondly, he asked about the smoke which had covered the city when he was there and wondered if this was normal.

"Of course it was not and I assured him of this."

McGeady is taking a huge gamble in his career and is placing trust in his ability to shine in the Russian League.

The 24-year-old has the carrot of direct entry to the Champions League with Spartak and will be expected to sparkle on Europe's biggest stage.

McGeady must hit the ground running with the Russian season halfway gone but Karpin has absolutely no doubts about his potential worth.

The lack of European players from the west who make the move to Russia is no concern of Karpin's, who said: "McGeady is a different type of player.

"He is not what you would call a typical British winger or wide player who just takes the ball and crosses it into the box.

"McGeady can take the ball down and play football on the ground with skill.

"Another option he gives to us is the ability to play on the left side and the right, so he's not one-sided in that respect.

"As I have said, I'm sure he will be good for us."
Spartak Moscow boss Valeri Karpin insists £10m McGeady deal is right move despite criticism from supporters - The Daily Record

£9.5million is good money for Celtic and at least they can strengthen with 2 or 3 players now.

I hope he does well there but it's a completely different environment from Glasgow so he will find it hard

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I don't really see how this move is furthering his career.
he'll be looking to come back within a year

moving to Moscow will he a huge culture shock to him, its really difficult to get around without a guide or knowing any of the language

Brophs

The One and Only
He might as well get paid twice as much (at least) as he does at Celtic. He'll be looking for a way out this time next year, or whenever O'Neill gets his next club.

Anna_Livia

It's a good price for him, tbh. And when we buy him back for £2.5m in a couple of years' time - after a stop-off at Birmingham, or some other equally pointless club - he might have improved his final ball. It's win-win.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
too much money for a player that can barely play in the SPL.....goodluck to him but spartak money men need the heads tested....good business for celtic