£11 million for McGeady

Anna_Livia

A jumped up pantry bhoy, who never knew his place.
A couple of seasons ago I wouldn't have thought we could expect anything like that much, but this season is his best yet. He's been outstanding since Strachan left (albeit in a fairly poor team).

Trying to figure out what a player's "worth" is impossible; looking at the market to figure out how much you think you could get is realistic. Birmingham have money to burn and play in a league where diddies who don't have half Aiden's skill and potential get bought and sold every window for more than £11m. It doesn't make sense for Celtic to sell him for anything less.

Remind me how much you paid for Nani again?

jdmufc

Roboheart
River cool's where I belong, In my moysey paradise
A couple of seasons ago I wouldn't have thought we could expect anything like that much, but this season is his best yet. He's been outstanding since Strachan left (albeit in a fairly poor team).

Trying to figure out what a player's "worth" is impossible; looking at the market to figure out how much you think you could get is realistic. Birmingham have money to burn and play in a league where diddies who don't have half Aiden's skill and potential get bought and sold every window for more than £11m. It doesn't make sense for Celtic to sell him for anything less.

do you just surf this board waiting for a scottish thread, its the only time you ever pop up.

but good point about nani :D

Robbo

I'd be " outstanding" in the SPL....:lol:..and I'm over 40..another wonderkid like Phil O'Donnell, Simon Donnelly, Niall somebody, Maloney, LianMiller..we get them all the time..the latest I heard up here was Fleck was expected to do well and was'nt doing well because he was expected to...:lol:...the next Rooney...Mickey Rooney maybe...

^Red Devil^

I think he is worth more to Celtic than he is to another club. Though Celtic can buy pretty much any young Scottish talent to replace him and can attract quite a few foreign talents with the promise of champions league football.

Depends on how the books look and if McGeady actually wants to leave.

I think 11 million is good money for him obviously.

quethenoo

just out of interest, who was the last great footballer the sweaties produced??
Depends how you define great, a good few of very good players but you might have to go back to dalglish for truly great. McGeadys not scottish anyway, well not in football terms, wee bastard chose to play for ireland.

Spammy

Being watched; will learn to post in the correct f
Gloves are worn for traction primarily. Someone li

How do you think he'd fare in the prem?

What if Liverpool came in for him? Would he make it or would he be another inconsistent wide man?

Ringo 07

Its very rare that a player from Scotland turns out to be a huge success in England but I think McGeady could do it if he puts the work in. Even though he still looks like a Lesbian I think that a manager like McLeish would get the most out of him.
If McGeady toughened up and sorted his attitude out then I don't see why he could not get to the level of maybe that which Joe Cole got to!

Anna_Livia

How do you think he'd fare in the prem?

What if Liverpool came in for him? Would he make it or would he be another inconsistent wide man?
I genuinely don't know how he'd do. If he could learn how to shoot he'd have pretty much everything he'd need to do well. Of course, there have been any number of players, wingers in particular, who have had everything needed and still failed. And then you have someone like James Milner who in some ways isn't half the player McGeady is, but who has an admirable attitude and clearly works hard on his game. He's developed steadily, Aiden has come on in fits and starts. Whether Aiden can apply himself and get the most out of his talent is the real unknown.

I've always suspected he'd do better in Spain, where he'd have more space to operate. Time will tell, though. I just don't want him to leave Celtic in January.

Spammy

Based on what I've seen from him in an Irish shirt, that's exactly what he would be.
I genuinely don't know how he'd do. If he could learn how to shoot he'd have pretty much everything he'd need to do well. Of course, there have been any number of players, wingers in particular, who have had everything needed and still failed. And then you have someone like James Milner who in some ways isn't half the player McGeady is, but who has an admirable attitude and clearly works hard on his game. He's developed steadily, Aiden has come on in fits and starts. Whether Aiden can apply himself and get the most out of his talent is the real unknown.

I've always suspected he'd do better in Spain, where he'd have more space to operate. Time will tell, though. I just don't want him to leave Celtic in January.

I haven't seen a huge amount of him, just highlights of his goals and some live CL games. The one at the Emirates where he looked to have great technical ability and be lightening quick over 15 yards...he looked impressive.

I think Liverpool are crying out for a 433 old skool Holland style, and we already have the players to do that but someone with that speed and technical ability combined is what we're lacking in the final third, I saw us linked with McGeady and wasn't quite sure what to think. Take this thread for example, he seems to get a lot of shit for being nearly very good...

Chadwick's Acne

It always makes me laugh when English supporters laugh at us 'Jock gits'.

How utterly shite have England been for the last 40+ years?

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I haven't seen a huge amount of him, just highlights of his goals and some live CL games. The one at the Emirates where he looked to have great technical ability and be lightening quick over 15 yards...he looked impressive.

I think Liverpool are crying out for a 433 old skool Holland style, and we already have the players to do that but someone with that speed and technical ability combined is what we're lacking in the final third, I saw us linked with McGeady and wasn't quite sure what to think. Take this thread for example, he seems to get a lot of shit for being nearly very good...
To be honest, Spammy, he's probably the most frustrating player in the Irish squad.

This is partly because he stands out from the journeymen who make up most of our team as actually having the potential to be really quite good. It's also because he's just really really fecking annoying to watch, dribbles up blind alleys, makes bad decisions and a frequently woeful final ball.

I guess you can say the same about most young wingers but I don't know what Benitez see in him that he doesn't see in, say, Ryan Babel. It would be an odd signing, that's for sure.

Spammy

Well I'm certainly not expecting or hoping Benitez would sign him, believe me. He really doesn't sounds like Rafa's kind of player, as you've mentioned, we already have someone from that mould. I just wanted to get a handle on him from people that actually watch him play because when we're linked with someone it's nice to actually know stuff about them rather than just guess from youtube clips and reputation.

Chadwick's Acne

Its very rare that a player from Scotland turns out to be a huge success in England
Considering the size of the country, the recent trend in signing Johnny Foreigner, and the fact that UK based players are typically overpriced, the ratio isn't that bad at all.

When you consider that the likes of Arsenal/Portsmouth/etc. aren't bothering to produce English talent, then what hope do Scottish players have?

Alex Mcleish has both Barry Ferguson and James McFadden playing out of their skin at Birmingham. Just an example to show that the players are there.

The English game continually mock their northern brethren but they should get their own house in order before having a chuckle at the Scots. No English manager worth their salt (how long's it been since an English manager won the Premiership?), and an English national team that is so reliant on Wayne Rooney it isn't funny (it is if you're Scottish). :lol:

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
McGeady is not worth £11 million, nor will he ever be worth that kind of money. I am from a Celtic supporting family, grew up in Scotland blah blah and can honestly say I can't think of any Scottish player worth anywhere near that amount at the moment.

But I will say this, we make damn good football managers! :D

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
£11m for a talented winger is not really that unthinkable in current market, let's not forget we paid £7m for Tosic who was hardly proven at any decent level. He may well end up being a flop and leave country after six or twelve months of rather forgettable performances but even then they will probably lose no more than £4m. Football market is a bit silly nowadays, there's a tendency to pay a lot for players who haven't really done much to justify their price tags. For instance Babel, who's apparently worth more than £8m now, two and a half years since joining Liverpool for about £10m, and he's been a rather poor performer for them.

UBERScholes

I'd find it flattering if someone hard rubbed agai
He does look like a lesbian in fairness

Rowem

gently, down the stream
What's this story about then? Who is McGeady being linked to?

Anna_Livia

What's this story about then? Who is McGeady being linked to?
Brum. McLeish seemed to be interested earlier in the window but has been put off by the price tag.

Bit of a non-story, really. I can't see him leaving in this window. Summer, perhaps, when more business gets done, and if he has a good second half to the season, would be more realistic.

Sojiro

Formerly MST3K
"Sometimes you're not sure about a player,&qu
Brum. McLeish seemed to be interested earlier in the window but has been put off by the price tag.

Bit of a non-story, really. I can't see him leaving in this window. Summer, perhaps, when more business gets done, and if he has a good second half to the season, would be more realistic.
makes more sense, especially after the world cup....oh nevermind.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I don't watch a lot of Scottish football so I don't know all that much about McGeady, but the one thing I thought that set him apart from most young inconsistent wingers was that he works quite hard for the team, seems like I was wrong from this thread!

Is he not a hardworker?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Aside from Robbo's spastic ramblings, £11 million is a bit much - he's probably worth about £8million. The Milner comparison is interesting - McGeady trumps him in terms of dribbling and touch, whereas Milner's final ball, whether it's crossing or shooting, is far more reliable.

IMO McGeady would be far more suited to the Spanish game and has said in the past that La Liga would be his preferred destination.

Anna_Livia

Brwned - yeah he is a hard worker. It's something that has improved over the past few years.

makes more sense, especially after the world cup....oh nevermind.
:D

Aside from Robbo's spastic ramblings, £11 million is a bit much - he's probably worth about £8million. The Milner comparison is interesting - McGeady trumps him in terms of dribbling and touch, whereas Milner's final ball, whether it's crossing or shooting, is far more reliable.

IMO McGeady would be far more suited to the Spanish game and has said in the past that La Liga would be his preferred destination.
I think that £11m is a price that pretty accurately reflects Celtic's position. We don't need or want to sell him. It'd take a slightly silly price to make it worthwhile. Anything £11m + would certainly make the Celtic board sit up and take notice, whereas we could take or leave £8m.

Under Strachan I thought he should leave as he wasn't progressing, but Mowbray seems to have reinvigorated him. His final ball's been a bit better and he's scored some good goals this season; he could easily stay for another seaosn or two and, as long as he keeps getting better, adding to his game (a la Milner) it won't be to the detriment of his career.