£20m Summer Transfer Budget

appleman

Supports
Atletico Madrid
In the case Frenkie joins it'll be about 310 minus 11 which does result in exactly the amount of 20.

tjb

Our fans are just toxic and would believe any tying bad about the club at this point. Some of it is justified of course, but a lot of it is pessimism. People seem to forget how much nonsense the press has always said concerning us in the market, especially under Fergie....just pure lies.

Now my biggest gripe is to do with the analysis of this window. We've had a really good window, but people seem to be shifting the goalposts jn order to justify their pessimism about Murtough and Arnold( different team dealing than prior years). All if a sudden, every transfer we get isn't worth it. Our fans were the main meme makers of Martinez.

Nights

Our fans are just toxic and would believe any tying bad about the club at this point. Some of it is justified of course, but a lot of it is pessimism. People seem to forget how much nonsense the press has always said concerning us in the market, especially under Fergie....just pure lies.

Now my biggest gripe is to do with the analysis of this window. We've had a really good window, but people seem to be shifting the goalposts jn order to justify their pessimism about Murtough and Arnold( different team dealing than prior years). All if a sudden, every transfer we get isn't worth it. Our fans were the main meme makers of Martinez.
We have actual “fans” that claimed this was a 3-5/10 window. They won’t be happy unless we sign 10 Messi regens for the first team in the first week of the window on low fees/wages.

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
Is this the most expensive transfer window Man United have ever had?

tjb

Just proves how bad we are being run - signing mediocre dross while letting many of our flops go for cheap or free. Then we also have the fact that players regress after joining us because of our coach and setup.
Are we going to act like Murtogh and Arnold were running the show at that time. It's a bit like blaming ETH for Mourinho's signings. Just let the refresh happen and stop dwelling on things we can't change

stoinz

We have actual “fans” that claimed this was a 3-5/10 window. They won’t be happy unless we sign 10 Messi regens for the first team in the first week of the window on low fees/wages.
Yes I rated this a 4 /10 window. That's not a very fair statement that you made there. I don't need 10 Messi to be happy. We have a Goat. In fact I'm very happy with all our incomings. They seems to be the right profile of players we should be targeting.

However, if you rate the window as a whole, it was nothing but shambles, the extended John Murtough European holidays? We left it too late again and we already lost 2 games. Before the Liverpool game we were targeting players like Rabiot and Anatorvic, you have wonder how much of our transfers were due to careful planning and how much of it was a reaction to the protests?

For myself, I am not unhappy because we didn't spend but we wasted our resource repeatedly - we inevitably end up either overpaying or paying original asking price late in window or buying 3rd / 4th choice targets because we left it too late.

This was suppose to be a restart with ETH coming in early but nothing seems to have change and we almost set ETH up to fail by dragging out feet.

cyril C

No way. Can anyone see TH signing if told he only has 20 mill to spend and 6 players at least leaving.
We spent over 200m this summer. Obviously we have spent part of next summer's budget. If TH can't get us Top 4, can he say I need to spend another 200m?

Drifter

American
Just proves how bad we are being run - signing mediocre dross while letting many of our flops go for cheap or free. Then we also have the fact that players regress after joining us because of our coach and setup.
Bingo

Flexdegea

Just shows how most of the articles are made up rubbish, that drives so much chat

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
Yes I rated this a 4 /10 window. That's not a very fair statement that you made there. I don't need 10 Messi to be happy. We have a Goat. In fact I'm very happy with all our incomings. They seems to be the right profile of players we should be targeting.

However, if you rate the window as a whole, it was nothing but shambles, the extended John Murtough European holidays? We left it too late again and we already lost 2 games. Before the Liverpool game we were targeting players like Rabiot and Anatorvic, you have wonder how much of our transfers were due to careful planning and how much of it was a reaction to the protests?

For myself, I am not unhappy because we didn't spend but we wasted our resource repeatedly - we inevitably end up either overpaying or paying original asking price late in window or buying 3rd / 4th choice targets because we left it too late.

This was suppose to be a restart with ETH coming in early but nothing seems to have change and we almost set ETH up to fail by dragging out feet.
Losing those two games (Brighton/Brentford) might turn out to have been a blessing in disguise, if you had got 2 lucky wins you might have ended up with Rabiot and Arnautovitch, not Casemiro and Anthony.

You say you have a Goat, but he is not great anymore. Will he accept a super-sub role or will he cause problems?

van Nistelrooy

There's no way we would have signed Antony for that crazy fee without the Brentford defeat.

Our transfer budgets will suffer for several future windows now.

stoinz

Losing those two games (Brighton/Brentford) might turn out to have been a blessing in disguise, if you had got 2 lucky wins you might have ended up with Rabiot and Arnautovitch, not Casemiro and Anthony.

You say you have a Goat, but he is not great anymore. Will he accept a super-sub role or will he cause problems?
Exactly why I rated our window so low. We kinda stumbled into Casemiro and Antony. I can get behind if we sign unknowns players from smaller leagues if it was part of a grander strategy.

I was replying to the previous posters that said we need 10 Messi to happy. 1 current Ronaldo beats 10 current Messi. But ya, he is not as great as before and may not be worth the hassle of keeping but that's another topic.

Von Mistelroum

£20m was always a ridiculous notion, but the £120m quote early on was probably about right. We spent months chasing FdJ and not spending too much so that we could afford him (eventually spending the money on Casemiro instead) and then after the week start, panicked and spunked £90m on Antony.

We do still need a striker, second midfielder, right back and probably keeper though, and that £90m will likely be reflected in next summer's budget which could be a problem

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
£20m was always a ridiculous notion, but the £120m quote early on was probably about right. We spent months chasing FdJ and not spending too much so that we could afford him (eventually spending the money on Casemiro instead) and then after the week start, panicked and spunked £90m on Antony.

We do still need a striker, second midfielder, right back and probably keeper though, and that £90m will likely be reflected in next summer's budget which could be a problem
It will ultimately come down to gaining Champions League qualification and selling players. Remember all this is from revenue and doesn't even have the Glazers dipping into their own pockets.

Tigersam

Supports
Arsenal
Exactly why I rated our window so low. We kinda stumbled into Casemiro and Antony. I can get behind if we sign unknowns players from smaller leagues if it was part of a grander strategy.

I was replying to the previous posters that said we need 10 Messi to happy. 1 current Ronaldo beats 10 current Messi. But ya, he is not as great as before and may not be worth the hassle of keeping but that's another topic.
I always thought that Ronaldo would out-last Messi (even though he is like 2.5 years younger) because Ronaldo has worked hard in the gym to maintain his physique and I admire him for that, Messi not so much. Some of his recent play is not so much an age thing, I think he is just fed up that one of his last seasons playing top-level football is going to be a tough one and he has been looking to get out. Maybe once today ends and he has to stay at United he might show the same commitment to the club that he has shown to his own fitness and start scoring again. Off the bench in a jam packed season I think he could do well. But is he 10x the player current Messi is? Wow, Messi must be playing badly if that is true.

To return to your previous post though, if it really is a 4/10 transfer window, well ETH better be a wonder-coach and get top-4 this season (or win the EL). Otherwise he will be toast as the owners will say we spent a record amount on players from your old club to ensure CL football in 2023/24, why haven't you secured it? They probably don't understand that in soccer unlike American football you can't just by a Brady/Ronaldo and see everything suddenly change.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

Sucking balls at football is far more expensive than dropping £90m more than you meant to in a window these days though. Now if we were to add Frenkie on top then you'd have to imagine that would have an impact on the budget but as things stand I would imagine the impact will be limited as long as the football is ok this year and we maybe even win a cup or something.

stw2022

Framing the anti-Glazer campaign around the 'debt means we're skint and can't spend' was huge mistake as it was never true and allowed them to appease large swathes of fans who were under the impression that as long as they spent there was no issue