Date of Birth: Mar 23, 2003
Nationality: Spain

Height: 186cm
Squad Number: #74
Position: Defender - Left-Back
Foot: Left
Contract expires: Jun 30, 2023​

Borninthe80ts

What to do with Alvaro? He has done well on loan and is a player who can progress rapidly with the right playing time and environment.

He currently has 2 internationals in front of him in the starting squad and others who can cover both sides, ie Dalot and Williams, maybe. I think Ten Hag will look to utilise a bigger squad this year after injuries disrupted our progress towards the end of last season. I think this will be players who did well on loan last season and one or two like Kobe from the youth team.

Randomly he reminds me of Redondo when he drives forward with the ball and Ten’s system sometimes calls for full backs to come centrally. Could be an attribute that benefits him in the future.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
What to do with Alvaro? He has done well on loan and is a player who can progress rapidly with the right playing time and environment.

He currently has 2 internationals in front of him in the starting squad and others who can cover both sides, ie Dalot and Williams, maybe. I think Ten Hag will look to utilise a bigger squad this year after injuries disrupted our progress towards the end of last season. I think this will be players who did well on loan last season and one or two like Kobe from the youth team.

Randomly he reminds me of Redondo when he drives forward with the ball and Ten’s system sometimes calls for full backs to come centrally. Could be an attribute that benefits him in the future.
I’d loan him again, he could do with refining his game a bit. Not sure who I’d be tempted to loan him to though.

Big Andy

Bloke

He's never replacing Luke Shaw, that's for sure. But he should be striving to take Malacia's place as first choice back up. I don't think I've ever seen Malacia provide a single assist yet, that's something that Fernadez can provide, but he'll also need to be defensively solid too.

Borninthe80ts

See I don’t think Malacia was as bad on the whole last season as it may seem. I think his form fluctuated and the bad moments were more eye catching than the good. He will improve this coming season I believe.

And I think a loan or at least the prospects of regular football is definitely beneficial, especially at this stage of his career. Selfishly for the team I’d keep him and and Diallo and may Shola, almost like utility until Christmas rather than multiple experienced squad players. Think they can contribute early.

Crimson King

Bit of question for those who've seen him play, but do we think he could play LCB? He's obviously very good on the ball, and at 6'1 he's no shrimp, although does appear to have quite a slim physique.

Marwood

Bit of question for those who've seen him play, but do we think he could play LCB? He's obviously very good on the ball, and at 6'1 he's no shrimp, although does appear to have quite a slim physique.
I've always said that he'll have to switch position to play at the top level. He's simply not athletic enough to be a fullback. It's so obvious to me that I really don't understand it never being tried at youth level.

But that switch would be to midfield if anything.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I think he’s still much too rash for LCB but I could see it in another few years. It’s always easier at big clubs to let the younger lads play on the wings and figure out the tempo and the amount of aggression required to get into the game. If we want him as a LCB I would loan him out as such this season. For my money he’ll be playing at left back for a few seasons yet before anyone asks him to try out at CB. I think he’s got massive potential.

dutchred

he might end up being a good cover for Matrtinez and Shaw. Reminds me a lot of Daley

Crimson King

I've always said that he'll have to switch position to play at the top level. He's simply not athletic enough to be a fullback. It's so obvious to me that I really don't understand it never being tried at youth level.

But that switch would be to midfield if anything.
Funnily enough, the reason I mentioned the switch of position is because I'd seen a few posters say something similar to you. Very gifted on the ball, but lacks some key physical attributes.

That's why I wondered about playing CB. He'd have to bulk up a bit, but if he's comfortable playing out from the back then maybe he could be an option there? Obviously, if he completely sucks at defending then it's a bit of a non-starter...

What kind of midfielder would he be though? You still need to be fairly athletic to play that position, especially during the current trend of play styles.

Marwood

Funnily enough, the reason I mentioned the switch of position is because I'd seen a few posters say something similar to you. Very gifted on the ball, but lacks some key physical attributes.

That's why I wondered about playing CB. He'd have to bulk up a bit, but if he's comfortable playing out from the back then maybe he could be an option there? Obviously, if he completely sucks at defending then it's a bit of a non-starter...

What kind of midfielder would he be though? You still need to be fairly athletic to play that position, especially during the current trend of play styles.
Probably too young and inexperienced to be a 6 right now but eventually I could see that.

He's not physically useless I don't think. Got a lovely way of beating players as well despite a lack of pace. So any other midfield spot could work.

But its all very hypothetical because the days of players trying different positions in the youth teams seems to be over. He's got zero experience in any role but that left hand side.

But right now him playing left back at the top level would be like putting Carrick at fullback.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

He should surely fancy himself to take Malacia, who is not very good as far as I’m concerned.

He has a bit of the Trent-Alexander about him, and is a player who would likely be quite comfortable moving centrally in a similar fashion.

Borninthe80ts

He should surely fancy himself to take Malacia, who is not very good as far as I’m concerned.

He has a bit of the Trent-Alexander about him, and is a player who would likely be quite comfortable moving centrally in a similar fashion.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying Malacia will be a top player, just bringing balance to mad remarks. More hoping adapting brings out his better qualities.

I think a few posters see similar traits to me in that he is very good on the ball, and his frame reminds me of a young Matic. Not saying he is or will be like these players, but he does have a lot of characteristics of players I like. Blind was mentioned too, and I think his passing and one two play or his best assets.

As you say he could be our Arnold in that he comes centrally and helps dictate play and break lines in congested areas. I do think he lacks the acceleration to be a top player out wide unless it’s a dominant team, but think he could thrive in the right set up.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying Malacia will be a top player, just bringing balance to mad remarks. More hoping adapting brings out his better qualities.

I think a few posters see similar traits to me in that he is very good on the ball, and his frame reminds me of a young Matic. Not saying he is or will be like these players, but he does have a lot of characteristics of players I like. Blind was mentioned too, and I think his passing and one two play or his best assets.

As you say he could be our Arnold in that he comes centrally and helps dictate play and break lines in congested areas. I do think he lacks the acceleration to be a top player out wide unless it’s a dominant team, but think he could thrive in the right set up.
Fair enough. I think people are falling into a common trap of giving credit for things not yet achieved, seemingly under the assumed guarantee that they will be. If ‘adapting will bring out Malacia’s better qualities’, then in his current unadapted version, such qualities haven’t come out. If and when they do, I will change my tune, but from what I’ve seen, he’s a nothing player who doesn’t have it for this level. He barely crossed the halfway line all season and contributed little going forward, and is no Wan-Bissaka going the other way either. There is a lot of room for a rival full back to usurp I think.

Borninthe80ts

Fair enough. I think people are falling into a common trap of giving credit for things not yet achieved, seemingly under the assumed guarantee that they will be. If ‘adapting will bring out Malacia’s better qualities’, then in his current unadapted version, such qualities haven’t come out. If and when they do, I will change my tune, but from what I’ve seen, he’s a nothing player who doesn’t have it for this level. He barely crossed the halfway line all season and contributed little going forward, and is no Wan-Bissaka going the other way either. There is a lot of room for a rival full back to usurp I think.

Sorry when I say adapt I meant more to a new league and way of life. Not sure this is as easy as we would like so I’m willing to give him some time. I think he did contribute to our attacking play at times last season, but similar to other players, good balls put in weren’t finished. Sometimes these moments aren’t recognised.

Anyway each to their own I suppose, I would say Alvaro has a better final ball but again, horses for courses an options are always good.

Gandalf

Could end up getting games this season if we don't sign another left sided CB and end up using Shaw there again. In that scenario he would be on the bench presumably with Malacia starting and could feasibly back up either of them. Lot will depend on if we can manage more incomings than the 3 of Mount plus a GK and Striker and also if we do get shot of the Slab.

Sea-Cow

See I don’t think Malacia was as bad on the whole last season as it may seem. I think his form fluctuated and the bad moments were more eye catching than the good. He will improve this coming season I believe.

And I think a loan or at least the prospects of regular football is definitely beneficial, especially at this stage of his career. Selfishly for the team I’d keep him and and Diallo and may Shola, almost like utility until Christmas rather than multiple experienced squad players. Think they can contribute early.
I thought Malacia was hopeless at the start of last year, but he slowly got more and more solid. He is definitely a decent backup option to have, but he's never going to concern Luke about making the first choice LB spot his own.

As for Alvaro Fernandez, I see another Davy Blind. Obviously a quality footballer, but lacking the physical attributes to make it as a premier league fullback.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I thought Malacia was hopeless at the start of last year, but he slowly got more and more solid. He is definitely a decent backup option to have, but he's never going to concern Luke about making the first choice LB spot his own.

As for Alvaro Fernandez, I see another Davy Blind. Obviously a quality footballer, but lacking the physical attributes to make it as a premier league fullback.
Fernandez is pretty fast, a slasher type player going forward

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Fernandez is pretty fast, a slasher type player going forward
He's not fast, he's rather average paced, perhaps wouldn't mind that much if he's counted to tuck in the midfield in the build up to have occasional timed run up the pitch...

Trex

He's not fast, he's rather average paced, perhaps wouldn't mind that much if he's counted to tuck in the midfield in the build up to have occasional timed run up the pitch...
The way we use our fullbacks suit him,, ETH rates him above Williams that's why he used him in the A squad. He could be an option when Shaw plays left center back.

Kweku Amonoo

He’s deceptively fast. People think he’s slow because of his physique and stride.

Borninthe80ts

Yeah I’d say he definitely took time to find his feet but had a period of maybe a month where people where singing his praises. It was consistency that he lacked. While Shaw is clearly ahead, it is only since his performances in the Euros that he has been regarded this way. Before that he was regularly criticised.

This is why I like to take a long view with players sometimes. In regard to Alvaro, he maybe similarly lacks the intensity that sometimes negatively affected Blinds performances with us but maybe he can get develop strength to counter this.

kode

hope we would only accept to loan him, Burnley plays good football that would be a good move and ease him to Premier League Football.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Definitely should get a loan, I’ll be gutted if we sell him. I hope he gets a good season with Burnley and we can decide what to do with him or Malacia the following season.

I really like this guy.

Gandalf

I do like him and I understand the loan comments but honestly isn't this where all our rivals sell with a buy back clause and we end up loaning players forvever until releasing on a free? If Burnley want to offer a decent fee with a sell on clause and a buy back clause that might be the smarter option as he has Shaw and Malacia ahead of him with neither likely to be going anywhere any time soon.

Borninthe80ts

I can see the benefits financially of selling him and similar to our rivals getting clauses inserted to benefit us later on. However I feel Alvaro has a chance at the very least next season if he has another productive loan and Malacia fails to put pressure on Shaw. Think after this coming season we will be a lot more ruthless in moving players on.

mavradal

hope we would only accept to loan him, Burnley plays good football that would be a good move and ease him to Premier League Football.
Selling with option to buyback makes more sense here as he's only the 4th option currently.

Brightonian

Sell with a buy-back clause. Cheap sale, low clause.

Let him start to build a proper career and on the off-chance he turns out to be really special (rather than the solid performer he looks to be developing into), he'll be ours again.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Would prefer a loan, curious how he'd do in the prem against some of the trickiest and fastest attackers.

Ever since he joined from Real Madrid it has been clear, that he is absolute top class on the ball but there were worries about him defensively.

If he can manage well enough in the PL, he could overtake both Malacia and Shaw in my opinion.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Isn’t that like an oxymoron?!

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Don’t see the point in a loan. He is not getting ahead of Shaw for at least 4-5 years. He needs to play regularly to develop. Sell with buy-back and sell-on clause.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I do like him and I understand the loan comments but honestly isn't this where all our rivals sell with a buy back clause and we end up loaning players forvever until releasing on a free? If Burnley want to offer a decent fee with a sell on clause and a buy back clause that might be the smarter option as he has Shaw and Malacia ahead of him with neither likely to be going anywhere any time soon.
Exactly what we should be doing

lysglimt

Scout
We need money more than we need Fernandez - it's that simply. So if Burnley offer us £15 million - take it with a buyback clause. He needs a few seasons of football at the highest level to compete with Shaw anyway.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Cash in on a good season in the championship and insert a buy back clause like others have said. Looks like a promising player but I don't see him being good enough to be our number 1 left back.

Ace of Spades

Any move will be a good one, and if they are looking to buy him then let him go. We have Shaw and Malacia already, no point keeping him and loaning him constantly when he can move there and really start his career as a pro.

Just put sell on and buy back clauses.