Ángel Di María | Transferred to PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Your maths are a bit wrong. We would have gained 2 points v Arsenal, Palace, Burnley and Liverpool as the result would have been a draw without Di Maria's goals/assists.
I said we obtained 16 points, in total.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
I didn't solely blame the club to be fair, i said (imo) LVG, the club, and the player all share the blame for his transfer not working out.
I know you didn't you said the club hadn't supported him enough on a personal level with no basis for saying so.

I wouldn't be surprised if van Gaal wanted him out. He doesn't fit the philosophy, that much was pretty evident, last season. And, it didn't look as if he was willing to change his game. Therefore, van Gaal had the decision of allowing him to play in his style (away from the philosophy) or selling for a decent amount. He chose the latter as he deemed it the best option. He is the manager, and he has to make tough decisions, like these; time will tell if it was the right one.

I don't believe it's as simple as di Maria simply wanting out. He's a tougher character than most would believe, and he's encountered far more problematic situations in his life than the premier league.
We saw that when van Gaal wanted a player out (Anderson, Rafael, Falcao & van Persie towards the end of the season) they were frozen out but Di Maria wasn't, he made sub appearances and was invited on the pre season tour. Yes, that's not 100% proof or anything, but I think it indicates that he was in van Gaal's plans to some extent and because Di Maria showed his quality at the beginning of the season I'm not sure he would be willing to dispose of him so quickly.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I know you didn't you said the club hadn't supported him enough on a personal level with no basis for saying so.

We saw that when van Gaal wanted a player out (Anderson, Rafael, Falcao & van Persie towards the end of the season) they were frozen out but Di Maria wasn't, he made sub appearances and was invited on the pre season tour. Yes, that's not 100% proof or anything, but I think it indicates that he was in van Gaal's plans to some extent and because Di Maria showed his quality at the beginning of the season I'm not sure he would be willing to dispose of him so quickly.
So why did he play Valdes? It's not that simple

izec

Think it'll be more like this:

Verratti
Matuidi - Pastore
Di Maria - Cavani/Ibra - Lucas
Strong team.
One thing is for sure, one of Cavani/Lucas/Pastore will get benched, unless they sell Ibra.

If he hits the ground running, they could get very far in the CL. They will obviously win the double again, but i look forward to their CL challenge.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
When was the Valdes reserve team incident? I genuinely don't know although you do have a point. Those two appearances were down to De Gea being injured and maybe Valdes was the only 'keeper van Gaal felt he could pick?
We don't have to guess, he spoke on it, he knew he didn't want him but gave him a chance to show his talent despite being disappointed in him...

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Perspective.

The club took last summer the decision to make a statement of intention. We made a record signing and loaned a high profile striker to show the world we mean business again. We all know the reasons for that.

Falcao never hit the ground. Easy decision.

Angel de Maria had good numbers compared to his minutes on the pitch ratio but apart from that he was a disappointment. He was probably bought as a offensive midfielder but with Carrick injuries, a defense who leaked and short of pace in our offense de Maria ended up as a winger.

Both RvP and Falcoa played more or less the whole season below normal standard. Rooney was everywhere and nowhere. In order to get some balance LvG opted for long balls to Fellaini, a playing style who didn't exactly suited de Maria.

On top of that personal family problems.

After February van Gaal didn't have time to gamble any longer, results was the only priority. The player who paid the price for this was de Maria. Mata scored goals and Young provided energy in both offense and defense.

So what to do for our manager? Build a team around de Maria's skills or see if there was a place for the Argentinian to fit in in his philosophy. At the same time the player was wanted by PSG.

All in all the club took a brave decision. Cut the losses when there is still value to reinvest. Maybe in the end both parties will benefit from this solution. Angel de Maria hasn't cover himself in glory the last two weeks but I accept that he's selfish. One carrier and one life.

The club could maybe handled this better. Who knows? In the end our loss expected to be approx £10m, maybe less, maybe more. But that's how business works. One good, one bad, and one in between.

Di Maria's angel

You can argue that we might have won the games he played in.

Anyone have stats of the games he started?
di Maria: Games started: 20; Games won: 11; Games drawn: 5; Games lost: 4; Goals Scored: 33 Goals Conceded: 18 ----- GD = +15 Points = 38
Games where he didn't start: P 18; W 9; D 5; L 4; GF 29; GA 19 ---- GD = +10 Points = 32

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
We don't have to guess, he spoke on it, he knew he didn't want him but gave him a chance to show his talent despite being disappointed in him...
Ok, I'll concede that then and I did say in that post it wasn't 100% proof but it did seem to go against the trend. However, I still maintain that Di Maria should have done more to fight his way back in to the team, it's not the same situation as someone like Falcao who looks broken beyond repair, he can still reach his old level.

Di Maria's angel

I don't think a player of his quality is content with being a sub. I also don't think that van Gaal guaranteed a starting place for him, this season.

The way I see it: We didn't push him out of the door and neither did he force it open. We left the door open and he let himself out.

MajorTom

Even though I'm not to fussed if he goes now after all the shenanigans of this summer and half of his performances last season but it is a joke how we bought him for so much and then selling him for a loss after 12 months. It's all a little too FM ish.

Will Absolute

It's just an unfortunate situation, it's not really down to us being bad in the transfer market. Not this time, anyway. He came off the back of his best season ever, scoring and assisting for fun, had the game of his life in the champions league final and his stock had never been higher. Fast forward 12 months, he's looked out of his depth, struggled with form and injuries, not adapted to English life, been burgled and gone on strike. I don't see how we could possibly not make a loss. I also don't see how we can blame Van Gaal or Woodward. We wanted a world class player, Woodward went and got him. It isn't the fault of either that he proceeded to be a flop.
Prior to his last, great season, I watched him play often for Real, and he was always inconsistent. So I was unhappy we paid so much money for him.

My suspicion at the time was that Woody wanted a Galactico signing. His best buddy Mendes came to him and said, 'I can get you Angel Di Maria if you're prepared to pay for him.' Woody recognized the name, and ran the notion past LvG, who probably hadn't been following the Argie player's career closely during his 3 year stint as Holland manager, but wasn't going to turn down the chance of strengthening his team for the coming campaign. It wasn't his money, and having a world class player at his disposal couldn't hurt. A little cursory reviewing of videos later - Christmas morning for Real Madrid.

Or perhaps there was a couple of months of due diligence and widespread consultation, and everybody was just stupid.

SirAF

Ageist
Even though I'm not to fussed if he goes now after all the shenanigans of this summer and half of his performances last season but it is a joke how we bought him for so much and then selling him for a loss after 12 months. It's all a little too FM ish.
It's not that bad, really.

jem

I'm probably a lot older than you, so some words of wisdom: wishing bad on someone who hasn't actually done anything bad to you, is not right.
Also, never hold grudges - life really is too short.
Let Di Maria go (just as you and many fans, seem to have let Falcao go) and focus on our current set of players.
Appreciate the thought, but I'm feeling every one of my 40 years at the moment. Probably as good an explanation for the bitterness as any. You're right about holding grudges though.

Getsme

I said we obtained 16 points, in total.
You do realise if Di Maria wasn't playing we would have been able to field a different player?
You could argue he cost us points later on in the season, even the chance of winning the FA Cup.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
he started to drop out from performing was also roughly the same time the contract issue of falcao had started to surface

call me conspiracy
Mmmmm..hadn't thought of that:D
Seriously, who the hell knows. Anything possible where Mendes is concerned I suppose.

Di Maria's angel

You do realise if Di Maria wasn't playing we would have been able to field a different player?
You could argue he cost us points later on in the season, even the chance of winning the FA Cup.
Hardly. There was nothing he could have done in the losses against Cheslea (1-0), Everton (3-0) and WBA (1-0). He wasn't great in these short sub performances, but the rest of team was far worse.

Stretford End Phil

AdM was another of those last minute buys, when it all looks too good to resist, while ignoring commonsense. Fact is, alongside RF, the pair were an expensive waste of money. Long term, their departure will not change anything unless the loss is placed before the board and heads roll; which I very much doubt at this stage of the season.

Even a club our size can't keep making such poor decisions. We need to rationalise our buying policy toward building a solid squad and spine players before dabbling with dodgy divas.

WyoManU

Wonder what the PSG docs are gonna think during his medical when the tampon string is seen dangling...

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Or you just shuffle it away into a Euro account and use it for future European signings or convert it to sterling when the fx rate is more favourable.
The Euro can never recover. We're at the point of no return!

Getsme

Hardly. There was nothing he could have done in the losses against Cheslea (1-0), Everton (3-0) and WBA (1-0). He wasn't great in these short sub performances, but the rest of team was far worse.
Agh so that's why he was dropped, the other players were worse. Fantastic logic right there.

Roman Bellic

Prick
How can you sit there and argue that a player directly responsible for about 18 goals last season is the biggest flop in PL history ...don't get me wrong,he had a terrible season,but come on.

Di Maria's angel

Agh so that's why he was dropped, the other players were worse. Fantastic logic right there.
What the hell are you talking about?

You said he cost us points at the end of season and I've basically shown you that that wasnt the case. We dropped points against Chelsea, Everton, WBA, Arsenal and Hull... Which of these were his fault?

Getsme

What the hell are you talking about?

You said he cost us points at the end of season and I've basically shown you that that wasnt the case. We dropped points against Chelsea, Everton, WBA, Arsenal and Hull... Which of these were his fault?
I said later on in the season.
I'm talking about his piss poor performances, his can't be assed attitude, why do you think he was dropped? FFS man, watch a game once and a while.

Di Maria's angel

I said later on in the season.
I'm talking about his piss poor performances, his can't be assed attitude, why do you think he was dropped? FFS man, watch a game once and a while.
He was dropped because of the red card against Arsenal. Then we found some cohesion and form, and couldnt find his way back into the team.

He last "real" start was the FA cup game, where he was our most threatening player, and also put in a beauty to get us back into the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.