‘‘Old Man Cavani’’

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
and you’ve proved my point - you could have a very healthy discussion who has been our worst no 7 since Ronnie. The previous guy was saying it was deffo Owen, you are saying it’s deffo Sanchez, and there are many who can argue Di Maria for the absolute contempt she showed this club. I’ve never seen someone just give up like him.
It could be Sanchez, it could be Di Maria (had a month or two of good performances but was disgraceful after that), or it could be Memphis. Definitely wasn't Owen though, as much as it still feels strange that he played for us. Unfortunately he would be competing with Valencia (in his worst season as a winger) to be our best, which really shows how bad things have been since Cristiano.

Hopefully Cavani breaks that curse. He's off to a decent start.

We need an rvn

I noticed your user name. RVN is possibly my all time favourite in a way and he had that same fire. Utd have always had those players and now we're getting it back. I just don't see it in Martial, unbelievably skilled though he is.
Agreed re RVN and what you said - and we definitely could do with a 26 year old rvn right now to make our strike force even more potent. Martial obviously has some fire and a lot of skill to make it as a pro / French international. I just haven't seen any progression since he signed for us all those years ago and don't see that determination that we see in a lot of the other players. Cavan though, at 33, seems to want to prove he can still be up there with the best at his age.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
Agreed re RVN and what you said - and we definitely could do with a 26 year old rvn right now to make our strike force even more potent. Martial obviously has some fire and a lot of skill to make it as a pro / French international. I just haven't seen any progression since he signed for us all those years ago and don't see that determination that we see in a lot of the other players. Cavan though, at 33, seems to want to prove he can still be up there with the best at his age.
Agree with this, you look at Cavani and RVN and you kind of expect where they will put the ball (either bottom/top corners), you look at Cavani's headers, always in the deadly area where the goalkeeper has no chance, Ruud the same back then. Martial is below that level when it comes to finishing and his positioning is nowhere near as good as any of them two so it's often disappointing because that's what you want your striker to do, to put that ball in the back of the net no matter how. Where he's better at is dribbling past players quite good and I would say has a better shot overall from outside the box. It's just his inconsistency that puts him back, in the same game he can score a worldie, dribble past 4 players, miss a sitter, score an own goal, with Ruud and Cavani you just get a proper striker up front who wouldn't let you down at the end of the game no matter what the score is. Martial also seems to sulk up everytime there is a real competition for him, when Ibra came he kind of sulked up (okay there was the number 9 issue etc but still), and now this season it also seems the same issue with Cavani competing with him, if he thinks he's good enough to start he should prove it everytime he puts that shirt on.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Martial is below that level when it comes to finishing and his positioning is nowhere near as good as any of them two so it's often disappointing because that's what you want your striker to do, to put that ball in the back of the net no matter how. Where he's better at is dribbling past players quite good and I would say has a better shot overall from outside the box.
You could have just said he is a wide (left) forward and not a striker.

bsCallout

Do you think that's why Martial is playing bad? He's sulking cos Cavani's here and instead of being excited to learn, he's taken it the wrong way and wants to be the only number 9. Wouldn't surprise me.
I think the opposite. I think Martial has actually done alright, he seems to have improved other areas of his game over the last 12 months, including getting in the box more, heading more and like at Southampton scoring Cavani-like goals plus linking up well with his back to play.

This has also meant he is not driving at teams which is where he scored a lot of goals, I think it will come together and he'll continue to learn from Cavani, scoring a lot more CF type goals. Our whole team seems to be working on creating those sort of chances too, the improvements by Shaw and AWB particularly showing we've been working on it, putting balls into those areas so that our strikers can 'gamble' on the opportunity.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I wasn't impressed when he signed. I think I was clouded by him playing wide for PSG though I've really enjoyed watching him so far.

fergosaurus

He's absolutely brilliant. Not only the goals but the mentality he brings to the team is invaluable.