“It is our ambition to re-establish Manchester United as a title-winning club”

ColvaleGoa

Still not as Good as .....

We Can do things in transfer market ,other team can only dream of!!! - Ed Wayward

Hughes35

Still not as Good as .....

We Can do things in transfer market ,other team can only dream of!!! - Ed Wayward
To be fair he wasn't wrong. No other club would have bought the likes of Weghorst or given Phil Jones new contracts so technically Ed stuck to his word.

Nick7

I feel like only United fans would complain about the wording of this :lol:

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
If you were to analyse our post Jan 2014 transfer policy, people who were maybe from outside the UK, and perhaps not paying complete attention, would probably ask questions about why we weren't challenging for the title every season.

The club have clearly shown ambition but acted wrecklessly at almost every opportunity. We have acted like a big club but maybe that was the problem? We spent big on Pogba and Di Maria when it was probably players (and personalities) like Carrick and even Park that were needed. There's ultimately a reason why city weren't going all in for the players we spent hundreds of millions on overall.

Having a sensible transfer and recruitment policy doesn't cost large amounts of money, it just needs good management and a wider culture that doesn't panic at the first sign of crisis. Common sense things!

If the new CEO alongside INEOS bring even 20% of that common sense/culture/strategy over the next few months, we'll be in a much better position.

Juicy Juiced

Perez could get this lot to challenge next season.

He'd start by bringing in Mbappe.

Until United start doing business that way, they will remain in their current state.

Also, for fecks sake, it took City less than 4 years to win their first title. City, who were a bottom half club before the takeover.
You mean Florentino Perez?
He is cnut, but I wish he is our CEO hah he would set up us to challenge next season.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
You mean Florentino Perez?
He is cnut, but I wish he is our CEO hah he would set up us to challenge next season.
Yes.

The man would solve this club's decades-old problem, which is a constant refusal to sign world class players (but but but Pogba and Veron didnt work out)

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
If you were to analyse our post Jan 2014 transfer policy, people who were maybe from outside the UK, and perhaps not paying complete attention, would probably ask questions about why we weren't challenging for the title every season.
I will counter that by saying that the club hasnt spent enough, as all of the spending came after nearly a decade of penny-pinching that saw United lose some of their best players and with a squad of formerly world class players on their last legs.

There is actually not a single top club in the world without financial issues (which United did have, in a way) that would allow their squad to get to the state of United's squad in 2013.

When SAF retired, there was not a single position bar between the posts where United had a starter of sufficient quality capable of maintaining the required level for more than a couple of years.

In such a situation, United needed to spend 500-600 m over two seasons and get most of the transfers right. An almost impossible task.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Nice intent, but the wording is pathetic. "It is our stated ambition...". WTF?

The weasly language needs to be cleaned up. Something like this for a start.

“The Club is determined to shall put football and performance on the pitch back at the heart of everything we do”

“It is our stated ambition to We will re-establish Manchester United as a title-winning club”

“Omar will be joining us to help achieve that goal, so that, once again, United fans can see, in the words of Sir Matt Busby, to ensure the red flag will be flying high at the summit of English, European and world football.”
Semantics. It’s all the same meaning.

Posh Red

My god, read the original words again:

“It is our stated ambition to re-establish Manchester United as a title-winning club”

One does not state the club's ambition by writing "it is our stated ambition to..." One states the club's ambition.

If the concern is not wishing to look like a fool in 10 years' time by virtue of not actually returning to a title-winning club, who the fukk is going to care about the press release issued 10 years prior? To underscore one's seriousness of intent, one would say "It is our ambition to...", not "It is our stated ambition to". What possibly clarifying purpose is served by the inserting the word "stated"? None whatsoever. It sounds lawyerly and craven.

Of course this is all subordinate to what actually happens on the pitch, but while we're on the subject of the press release here, it is cringey to issue a statement of purpose prefaced with the words "It is our stated ambition...".
Dude what are you actually moaning about here? Take a step back man :lol:

Bright_Eyes

My god, read the original words again:

“It is our stated ambition to re-establish Manchester United as a title-winning club”

One does not state the club's ambition by writing "it is our stated ambition to..." One states the club's ambition.

If the concern is not wishing to look like a fool in 10 years' time by virtue of not actually returning to a title-winning club, who the fukk is going to care about the press release issued 10 years prior? To underscore one's seriousness of intent, one would say "It is our ambition to...", not "It is our stated ambition to". What possibly clarifying purpose is served by the inserting the word "stated"? None whatsoever. It sounds lawyerly and craven.

Of course this is all subordinate to what actually happens on the pitch, but while we're on the subject of the press release here, it is cringey to issue a statement of purpose prefaced with the words "It is our stated ambition...".
"Stated ambition" is a super common term used in businesses, including football clubs. It's not cringey at all.

Juicy Juiced

Yes.

The man would solve this club's decades-old problem, which is a constant refusal to sign world class players (but but but Pogba and Veron didnt work out)
Yeah.
He loves the club(RM) . Another one was that Italian creep Berlusconi.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
I will counter that by saying that the club hasnt spent enough, as all of the spending came after nearly a decade of penny-pinching that saw United lose some of their best players and with a squad of formerly world class players on their last legs.

There is actually not a single top club in the world without financial issues (which United did have, in a way) that would allow their squad to get to the state of United's squad in 2013.

When SAF retired, there was not a single position bar between the posts where United had a starter of sufficient quality capable of maintaining the required level for more than a couple of years.

In such a situation, United needed to spend 500-600 m over two seasons and get most of the transfers right. An almost impossible task.
The squad that Fergie left wasn't as bad as people say. Certainly not one that should have finished 7th anyway.

The team/club just needed a competent manager to make the small tweaks needed to keep us challenging. It needed someone strong enough to move one of Rio/Vidic on a year earlier, sign a new left back (whilst potentially moving Evra on) and sign a midfielder.

The argument that we needed to spend 500/600 million is flawed. You need to spend the money on a player that suits the system/club. As I said further up, sometimes the "cheaper" option is the better option.

We have spent the money (certainly if you bring in the wages element) just not very well. The biggest football related issue with the Glazers post 2013 was seemingly leaving the big decisions to Woodward. I despise the family as much as anyone but the club should have still succeeded with them as owners.

The summer that really killed us was 2014 when we signed Di Maria and Falcao. It was clear then any structure/culture that Van Gaal was trying to bring in was out the window as we went all out for the big names. Changing that strategy every 18 months is what leaves you with a mish mash of a squad that doesn't really work for anyone and leaves every new manager with a monumental rebuilding process and ultimately on a path to failure before they have even started.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
The squad that Fergie left wasn't as bad as people say. Certainly not one that should have finished 7th anyway.
To quote Mourinho, see where they play, how they play if they play.

So which players in the 2013 squad other than DDG were good enough to be in a title winning side for 3-4 more years?

Last edited:

lex talionis

"Stated ambition" is a super common term used in businesses, including football clubs. It's not cringey at all.
Sorry, it’s cringey.

But none of this matters. What matters is what club does, not how its PR team phrases its press releases.

JediSith

all things considered, I think it's been as good a start by SJR as anyone could have hoped for. But in the end, actions speak louder than words.
Tbf… and I’m a Jim Ratcliffe skeptic. Not just him but also I think the whole Glazers still owning the majority of the club will sooner or later be a hindrance and I expect the inevitable news of falling out.

But hiring Omar from City is an action and very substantial one. So at present it does speak louder than words. Time will tell how it goes.

JediSith

Was Rashford there?
Not sure how true. But heard Rashford’s brother had a meeting with ETH and Brailsford was in attendance. He was told that if Rashford didn’t fix up the club would look at alternatives in the summer.

bstb3

It's good they are prepared to do this and talk with the squad directly, not something that would have happened with the past regime. That said whether or not it would have sunk in who knows. Part of me is wondering whether, with Brailsford and Ten Hag in front of them, they weren't just distracted by the Right Said Fred similarities and desperately not trying to hum 'I'm too sexy...'

moodyred

Read about SAF banging the table and having a heated argument with Mino Raiola and then letting Paul Pogba walk for free.

SAF knew how he wants the culture in the club to be and will not condone any player being bigger than the club (maybe exception of Ronaldo). Nowadays, we seem so fearful of letting players go. How Phil Jones and Antony Martial can stay in the club this long is beyond me. So many non performing players and we just keep renewing their contracts. Rashford's nonsense nightout is just another example of how the players doesn't fear stepping out of line.

Hope this new CEO can set things straight again and start building a proper culture in this club.

Tyrion

Read about SAF banging the table and having a heated argument with Mino Raiola and then letting Paul Pogba walk for free.

SAF knew how he wants the culture in the club to be and will not condone any player being bigger than the club (maybe exception of Ronaldo). Nowadays, we seem so fearful of letting players go. How Phil Jones and Antony Martial can stay in the club this long is beyond me. So many non performing players and we just keep renewing their contracts. Rashford's nonsense nightout is just another example of how the players doesn't fear stepping out of line.

Hope this new CEO can set things straight again and start building a proper culture in this club.
Phil Jones just had a lot of injuries and got an extension at a bad time. Fergie is the one who signed him so I think his attitude is OK. Martial is a joke obviously.

moodyred

Phil Jones just had a lot of injuries and got an extension at a bad time. Fergie is the one who signed him so I think his attitude is OK. Martial is a joke obviously.
While the majority of Manchester United fans have understood Jones is seriously injury-prone and working hard to return, there was bemusement when he was offered a new contract in 2019. Despite such limited involvement and major fitness issues, he was handed a deal in 2019 that runs until June 2023 and also contains an option for a further year.

Above is the quote from the papers. Why was he even offered a new contract in 2019 is exactly one of the key issue with United. Keeping a non performing or constantly injured under the paycheck and preventing us from signing better players.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Agree with a lot you say here @moodyred. Everyone on the inside, the fans and everyone on the outside can point you in the direction of what is wrong at our club and it starts at the very top with acceptable standards for the club.

City, Liverpool, Bayern, Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid, Dortmund (and prob some of the Italian clubs but TV deal has screwed them over) They all share a common theme in that it is a football first culture. Get it right on the pitch and the till will keep on ringing. Whereas we until now have been managed by absentee landlords only interested in $$$$ and the point about getting it right on the pitch has been completely lost on the Glazers.

I am glad to see the likes of SJR, showing face. I like the fact Brailsford is snooping around every aspect of the club like Columbo on Acid...............'Just one more thing'

This summer is a massive one for the club. A new leadership team in place above the head coach to set the vision and the minimum standard all involved with Utd should aspire to. All around the football industry there will be massive managerial moves. Barca, Liverpool needing new managers and you could potentially add Real Madrid, Arsenal and Bayern. These new projects will no doubt see quite a few player movements. Would not surprise me in the least to see Mbappe finally goto Real and the new leadership team make an example of Rashford and ship him off to Paris by way of a statement of intent.

Exciting times ahead.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
No chance! What European team would pay that for a player, who is way too inconsistent and has had more bad seasons than good, goalscoring and assist wise? With the expected wages as well, he is a hard sell. Murtough and the leeches have stuck us in corner once again.
PSG have a long standing hard on for him, their Chairman can very feasibly pay that. Rashford scored ~30 goals last season which isn't that long ago and he's still 26.
Do you reckon INEOS are for or against going out on a bender the day before a game?
:lol: I'm genuinely asking because I don't know Rashford was suspended for being a naughty boy.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
It's good they are prepared to do this and talk with the squad directly, not something that would have happened with the past regime. That said whether or not it would have sunk in who knows. Part of me is wondering whether, with Brailsford and Ten Hag in front of them, they weren't just distracted by the Right Said Fred similarities and desperately not trying to hum 'I'm too sexy...'
:lol:

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

It's a sad state of affairs when you need to explain things that should be self-explanatory. I hope i'm wrong, but there has been a normalization of certain attitudes over the last decade that's nearly impossible to cut out now just with words. We need an electroshock, something that will not open a whole new chapter for the club. Just remember van Persie's anecdote after the defeat in the derby (2013) and imagine the scenes if it happened in this dressing room.

Laurencio

Sounds a lot like "get your shit together or get out" to me.
Thinly veiled threat. "Regardless of what we do with the manager, if you've not performed to the fullest of your ability - you're out."

Let's see if they get it. Astounding that he felt a need to tell them that.

Blood Mage

Not sure that's even possible for as long as City's financial cheating is allowed to continue. But I will settle for us being a respectable club that plays good football again.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Makes a change from " Get your shit together or we're going to offer you a new improved 4 year contract with the option of a further year".

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
While the majority of Manchester United fans have understood Jones is seriously injury-prone and working hard to return, there was bemusement when he was offered a new contract in 2019. Despite such limited involvement and major fitness issues, he was handed a deal in 2019 that runs until June 2023 and also contains an option for a further year.

Above is the quote from the papers. Why was he even offered a new contract in 2019 is exactly one of the key issue with United. Keeping a non performing or constantly injured under the paycheck and preventing us from signing better players.
Going back over old ground but jones was fit at time of his contract and later got serious illness. You can queries the type or length of contract considering his health up to that point but he was fit and healthy at that stage and a good, professional player. There was no reason not to

moodyred

Going back over old ground but jones was fit at time of his contract and later got serious illness. You can queries the type or length of contract considering his health up to that point but he was fit and healthy at that stage and a good, professional player. There was no reason not to
At the time of his contract, he was fit but his career was riddled with injuries and he was missing quite a number of games every other season. I just had a look at his injury history and he was out for 20 games in 2012-13 season and he had injury almost every season. Every other season he was out for almost 10 games or more and if you count the need to get back to fitness etc, he would have been out longer. Also, his 2018 season was no better and yet we extended him in 2019 thinking things will be better? Its almost like expecting Martial to stay fit for a season. To be fair, he isn't as bad as Martial, but close to being jinx as one.

I remember Jones being a hardworking footballer and will give his all in a game. However, I don't remember him being an exceptional footballer. Hence, I was really puzzled with the contract extension.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
At the time of his contract, he was fit but his career was riddled with injuries and he was missing quite a number of games every other season. I just had a look at his injury history and he was out for 20 games in 2012-13 season and he had injury almost every season. Every other season he was out for almost 10 games or more and if you count the need to get back to fitness etc, he would have been out longer. Also, his 2018 season was no better and yet we extended him in 2019 thinking things will be better? Its almost like expecting Martial to stay fit for a season. To be fair, he isn't as bad as Martial, but close to being jinx as one.

I remember Jones being a hardworking footballer and will give his all in a game. However, I don't remember him being an exceptional footballer. Hence, I was really puzzled with the contract extension.
Hence why I said you could argue over the type of contract (could have done pay as you play for example) or the length

jones was highly rated when we bought him. Probably the best young CB in the country, but also was one of those players like OShea who could play multiple positions.

anyway don’t want to distract this thread any longer

crossy1686

career ending
Thinly veiled threat. "Regardless of what we do with the manager, if you've not performed to the fullest of your ability - you're out."

Let's see if they get it. Astounding that he felt a need to tell them that.
You've only got to look at the salaries compared to the performances and that speech writes itself in any other industry anywhere in the world. Our players have gotten away with being kept on no matter how far standards fall that they will feel hard done by that talk.