14 Premier League penalities

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
That is probably true and generally I do feel it evens out over the course of a season but there is no doubt the 'big' teams get more penalties than 'smaller' teams. The debate to be had is why that might be.
Same reason why big teams score more goals than smaller teams, they attack more and have better players.

Nick7

The one against Villa wasn’t one. But every other one we’ve gotten this season were fair.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
PL Officials reading 'Why don't we win penalties anymore' thread a few seasons ago made this possible.

Tony247

Clearly we are getting penalties because we are getting in the box more, and that we have players difficult to handle by opposition defenders.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I would say that in most leagues in the world, the team with the most penalties are usually the teams with the quickest attackers with the fastest feet.

It all happens so quickly in real time. Even the example from today, it’s a split second and suddenly two defenders are behind and stretching.
It's this completely.

We used to moan about City and Liverpool getting loads, but now we can understand why.

Fitchett

We win em' cos we are in the right place doing the right things and the oppo feck up. Simples.

What Tyler said was stupid and got answered by Neville, the top teams get more pens cos they are more often in the opposition's box.
Neville also put down that City prick Micah Richards, who was smirking in support of Tyler's comments. Something along the lines of "The better players win penalties when brought down by inferior defenders, like you were".

Jordan_mufc

From what I can remember they were all warranted. Causing absolute mayhem in the opposition box.

Villa vs Bruno was a dodgy one.
Also I remember Dan James getting one at Carrow Road that was a bit iffy.

Either way, the media can feck off with their cheating narrative.

Clearly we are getting penalties because we are getting in the box more, and that we have players difficult to handle by opposition defenders.
Yes, stats can be twisted every which way. The only thing to do is look at each one, case by case; and, when doing that, we have only had a couple of marginal penalties. I have no time for claims that referees are for or against us; they do their best and now have VAR to double check. Their is no conspiracy for or against any club.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Quite a few more that we should've gotten too, certainly more than the ones we were "fortunate" to receive.

We have some of the quickest attackers with excellent feet (and struggle to also create clear chances) which leads to congestion in the box with these fast players. Leads to loads of pens 2 years running.

Andersonson

Its because of Martial, Rashford and Bruno's movement and skill. We got so much pace and trickery upfront. And they've gotten stronger too, so the 50/50's often goes to our advantage.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I hope we get 20 next season. Then Bruno can be top goalscorer off pens only.

Adamsk7

We’ve got very fast, tricky footballers with brilliant close control up front. I’m not saying they are the best players in the world or anything but those are key traits to Martial and Rashford especially. We’ll win more than most purely based on that, even more next season if Sancho arrives!

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I know it's not easy to stop good players with skills & pace but if they are complaining about penalty then simply don't foul the player & don't launch stupid challenges in the box. Simple. Martial could have score that one on one but rather than let him score, they prefer to take the risk on the tackle from behind and fouled him.

JohnnyKills

We win em' cos we are in the right place doing the right things and the oppo feck up. Simples.

What Tyler said was stupid and got answered by Neville, the top teams get more pens cos they are more often in the opposition's box.
Yeah was a pathetic comment from a dinosaur of a commentator.

We've got Var FFS. What do people think - that we've secretly broken into Stockley Park and rigged it to favour United?

0le

You know you are back when opposition fans and pundits bring up pointless statistics like this.

So all that actually proves is referees dont give us much and with VAR we are getting what we deserve.

Benadichi

Supports
Chelsea
Yeah I would 100% ignore any ignorant comments on how you lot broke the record because VAR loves united and the like.

It’s quite obvious someone would have broke it with the new system in place and even with it being there it has still shown human errors. It’s easy for oppos to ridicule every single decision another team gets when it’s in super slow-mo at 500 different angles then completely ignore the ones in favour of themselves!

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
People will love to point to this but only one was debateable & we could actually have had more. Stone waller on Pogba not given at Villa.

Revan

Assumptionman
I'd like to see the stats of that over the last 5 years or so - I suspect this would be confirmed.
Tried to measure only teams who were in EPL in all 5 seasons (might have forgotten some team):

1. City: 40 (average position 2.2, ranked position 1)
2. Leicester: 39 (average position 7.2, ranked position 7)
3. Crystal Palace: 36 (average position 13.2, ranked position 11)
4. United: 36 (average position 4.4, ranked position 4)
5. Bournemouth: 30 (average position 13.8, ranked position 12)
6. Liverpool: 25 (average position 3.8, ranked position 3)
7. Spurs: 25 (average position 3.6, ranked position 2)
8. Watford: 25 (average position 14.8, ranked position 13)
9. Chelsea: 24 (average position 4.6, ranked position 5)
10. Everton: 23 (average position 9.2, ranked position 8)
11. Southampton: 23 (average position 11.6, ranked position 10)
12. Arsenal: 22 (average position 5.2, ranked position 6)
13. West Ham: 20 (average position 11.4, ranked position 9)

Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs are getting fewer penalties than you would expect; Leicester, Crystal Palace, Watford and Bournemouth more than you would expect; Liverpool slightly less than you would expect. United actually were getting less than the should until this season. It could be that we were playing more defensive football, or it could have been some anti-United bias (created by 'referees are in United's pockets narrative' that has been going on for decades) that got fixed with VAR introduction.

Last edited:

lysglimt

Scout
A new record and quite a bit of attention given this is the first season with VAR. From memory, I don't recall us getting a penalty that shouldn't have been given (aside from Bruno v Villa). Is there anywhere we can see them all?
Dan James' penalty against Norwich was a mistake - I still don't know why VAR overturned that one - otherwise...they were all fine

RUCK4444

All this painful VAR involvement and we are still here defending the fact we were given so many pens this year.

As far as I'm concerned they've all been verified both live-time and retrospectively at slow motion by another independent ref, so any oppo whingers can do one.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Tried to measure only teams who were in EPL in all 5 seasons (might have forgotten some team):

1. City: 40 (average position 2.2, ranked position 1)
2. Leicester: 39 (average position 7.2, ranked position 7)
3. Crystal Palace: 36 (average position 13.2, ranked position 11)
4. United: 36 (average position 4.4, ranked position 4)
5. Bournemouth: 30 (average position 13.8, ranked position 12)
6. Liverpool: 25 (average position 3.8, ranked position 3)
7. Spurs: 25 (average position 3.6, ranked position 2)
8. Watford: 25 (average position 14.8, ranked position 13)
9. Chelsea: 24 (average position 4.6, ranked position 5)
10. Everton: 23 (average position 9.2, ranked position 8)
11. Southampton: 23 (average position 11.6, ranked position 10)
12. Arsenal: 22 (average position 5.2, ranked position 6)
13. West Ham: 20 (average position 11.4, ranked position 9)

Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs are getting fewer penalties than you would expect; Leicester, Crystal Palace, Watford and Bournemouth more than you would expect; Liverpool slightly less than you would expect. United actually were getting less than the should until this season. It could be that we were playing more defensive football, or it could have been some anti-United bias (created by 'referees are in United's pockets narrative' that has been going on for decades) that got fixed with VAR introduction.
Amazing, thanks for doing that.

Superunknown

The distribution of penalties amongst sides in the league is never going to be even because there are too many factors and variables to take into account. You've got to account for the skilful, pacey attackers, you've got to think about clumsy last-ditch tackles, handballs, pushing and shoving at corners...there's a lot to think about there. Generally, you'd assume that the more attacking sides with quicker and more skilful forwards and attacking players would "win" more penalties, especially if they happen to come across defenders who lunge in or make silly tackles. But, there's probably more to it than that.

I don't think there's a conspiracy to give United penalties or that we are paying the VAR officials under the table. Ultimately, it's not down to us. If we deserve a penalty because of a daft tackle, we can't then say, "well you can't have that one because you've already had 13 this season", it just doesn't work that way. To me, the first thing I would be thinking of saying to my players if I was manager of an opposing team is "don't give away stupid penalties and free kicks". The one we got today was a penalty and it was deserved, so maybe it's down to the other teams to simply stop giving them away cheaply to us.

Robertd0803

We spend more time in the box now, our attackers are very unpredictable and fleet of foot so it stands to reason we are getting more penalties.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
As others have said, Bruno vs Villa and James vs Norwich both shouldn't have been penalties. But we've also had at least one 100% guaranteed penalty somehow not given (Fred vs City) and another couple that were debatable not go our way.

Other than the two mentioned above, the rest of the penalties have been definites with no drama at all.