2 pieces to complete the title jigsaw

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Way too shaky defensively & the opposite of clinical. The pieces are nearly there but we are missing a top centre back & a forward who puts away his chances.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Your thread title just summed up what I'm feeling. I'm more thinking along the lines of "if only we had a better centre back leader than Maguire and a more reliable centre midfielder than Paul Pogba", we'd be a lot more better.

I know people talk about our finishing but even our best attackers who played under Fergie missed chances. However, we had a stronger spine back than and rarely conceded late nonsensical goals like we just did today.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
We're doing ok but we're more than just 2 players away, probably more like 8-9 :(

Albin Johansson

A speedy full back that can cross and a right winger that can dribble. Signing a new striker can (but shouldn't) wait til after cavani.

youmeletsfly

We'd need:
- striker
- left forward (I'm not into Rashford, 0 first touch and 0 finishing, this is his best level, doesn't seem he will improve more. I don't care he scores 20 a season when he misses two sitters each fecking game)\
- 2 CB
- 1 DM
- 1 RB
- 1 RW

People thinking we're close to challenge for the EPL just because he had a lucky patch are out of their fecking minds.
We're a Bruno and Fred injury away of disaster and you're thinking about challenging for titles, haha.

Raw

I definitely do feel like we're closer now. Before it felt like we needed a whole new team, now it seems like we're 2 or 3 players away from a really good team that can fight for the top trophies.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
We need a long term CF and a CB. They should be the priority behind the need for a RW.

Gerald G

I honestly think a DM is most important. I'm certain we would look a lot more solid with a proper defensive midfielder.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
We missed Lindelof - he's the one at the back who can actually read the game, but we need more than two: desperate for some width (a world-class winger; can you imagine how many chances we'd get with Becks out there?) and a real goal scorer. And then there's the defence, although I thought they were a little unlucky today: Maguire slipped just before the first goal and even Vardy admitted his shot wasn't on target

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Rashford finishing definitely cost us but do you blame defense for 1 shot taken by Vardy in the box, which ended up in goal with a deflection?

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Centre back and Defensive midfielder for me. It’s ridiculous that our defence cannot protect leads and keep leaking goals.

A striker can wait as we now have Cavani as can the RW position.

SuperiorXI

Rashford finishing definitely cost us but do you blame defense for 1 shot taken by Vardy in the box, which ended up in goal with a deflection?
Flukey goal that... it's a part of football and can happen.

The reason we lost was the first goal, shite defending that. That and Rashford's poor finishing. It's not all doom and gloom though, it's a good point earned against a really good Leicester team away from home. Encouraging as well as we looked dangerous for large parts of the game.

If we did get a solid CB and a reliable and clinical striker (missing Haaland was so unfortunate) we'd be in serious business.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I think it all depends on Woodward trusting him or not.

Now that Pochettino's gone and Ole's team is being talked about being title league contenders then Woodward can be more lenient or flexible than he might have been to a manager like Ole before.

It's me being hopeful but it's true.

If Caceido is coming

I'd say if its 2 players for this January it's a

1) RW (if the youngsters are u23) - this might lead to Greenwood at ST
2) CB ( not the biggest fan of Bailly or Lindelof)

Summer

1) ST
2) one more CDM
3)RWB

And then we are complete.

If Woodward is feeling nice about speeding this up we could do this quicker.

Machine Elements

The sad thing is, we tried to get that top CB in summer 2019. But instead of signing a real quality CB to get near completing the jigsaw, we ended up with Maguire for £80m and it's a problem now.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Not really .An upgrade on Maguire, AWB, Scott and a right winger would make us title contenders.

We wasted 150m on dross in Ole's first season.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Flukey goal that... it's a part of football and can happen.

The reason we lost was the first goal, shite defending that. That and Rashford's poor finishing. It's not all doom and gloom though, it's a good point earned against a really good Leicester team away from home. Encouraging as well as we looked dangerous for large parts of the game.

If we did get a solid CB and a reliable and clinical striker (missing Haaland was so unfortunate) we'd be in serious business.
Ok so the first goal was defense fault? I thought one of McTominay / Fred were supposed to put pressure or tackle Barnes so I don't understand that either.

We need 4 at least. Top CF, top right winger, right back and GK. I'm not sure back 4 is at fault for today score.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Yes because probably need 2 CB's and 2 CM's eventually
I understand it’s an emotive time after full time when we have a bad result but it is hyperbolic to say we need 8 or 9 players to win the league, especially when you see our line ups and options we have.

Not to mention when in 2020 we have had a good points total in the league.

We’re a decent side who aren’t as far away as people think, we won’t win the league and probably won’t be a serious challenger this season but a few more come in and hopefully were there.

Edy2

Top centre back and proper striker that can finish. We've been going with wide forwards as our main strikers for too long. They've shown time and again their finishing isn't good enough.

SuperiorXI

Ok so the first goal was defense fault? I thought one of McTominay / Fred were supposed to put pressure or tackle Barnes so I don't understand that either.

We need 4 at least. Top CF, top right winger, right back and GK. I'm not sure back 4 is at fault for today score.
Not the back 4 but yes it was a defensive error by McTominay. The team defends as one, even a striker can commit a defensive error.

Deery

Dreary
Imagine if we had Haaland we would absolutely batter teams.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I understand it’s an emotive time after full time when we have a bad result but it is hyperbolic to say we need 8 or 9 players to win the league, especially when you see our line ups and options we have.

Not to mention when in 2020 we have had a good points total in the league.

We’re a decent side who aren’t as far away as people think, we won’t win the league and probably won’t be a serious challenger this season but a few more come in and hopefully were there.
how about you put an argument together as to why you think that rather than skirting around it? I've answered your questions twice now with no real worthwhile reply from you

El Jefe

This team desperately needs a player who is excellent at ball retention and is press resistant. Whether it's a DM like Veratti or Busquets or an AM like D.Silva or Grealish, it doesn't matter, we just need a player who we can play through to keep the ball and recycle possession. At present we have really talented players but the ball doesn't stick at all with any of them.

The second piece is a defensive rock. Maguire or Lindelof cannot be our best defender.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Not the back 4 but yes it was a defensive error by McTominay. The team defends as one, even a striker can commit a defensive error.
Well yes but the OP mentions specifically Centre Back we should improve on, and I'd argue it wouldn't change the score line because neither goal was really on CB.

The first goal was on midfielders I guess, the second could've been avoided with a better CB maybe but still you have to consider it was quite lucky.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
how about you put an argument together as to why you think that rather than skirting around it? I've answered your questions twice now with no real worthwhile reply from you
I’m not going to sit here and go through the 8 or 9 players you have listed and discuss if they’re good enough or not. As I said this calendar year we have had a promising points total, and just look at the players left on the bench today. There’s bags of quality there. I don’t think we’re 9 players away from winning the league. We can leave it there if you like?

SuperiorXI

Well yes but the OP mentions specifically Centre Back we should improve on, and I'd argue it wouldn't change the score line because neither goal was really on CB.

The first goal was on midfielders I guess, the second could've been avoided with a better CB maybe but still you have to consider it was quite lucky.
In terms of a title charge a point is good here, looking more long term are you happy with the CBs?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Agree fully, forget wingers and midfielders we have plenty of players for those positions, we need someone with speed who can organise a defence and someone the other end who can finish, the rest of the squad is more than enough to challenge

Borys

Statistics Wizard
In terms of a title charge a point is good here, looking more long term are you happy with the CBs?
More like in terms of post-Leicester game. Long term like I said, we have more pressing issues than CBs. I'd take an upgrade on any of our Centre Back of course, but I believe at this point the money should be spent elsewhere.

These days it seems every goal conceded is blamed on Centre Backs by default, which is over simplification.

BlueHaze

We're doing ok but we're more than just 2 players away, probably more like 8-9 :(
Def don't think we're that far off for a challenge. It's all about quality over quantity. For example add Sancho and Haaland to this squad and its a major improvement. Thats only 2 players.