g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

2 pieces to complete the title jigsaw

paulscholes18

For it to be two pieces to complete the jigsaw than Cavani needs to be the first choice NO9 and Diallo needs to be an instant hit, if not, then we need 4 players, DM & CB are definitely needed, as with McFred we have two players doing the job of one good DM. I would also like to see Tuanzebe have a run of games, as his performance vs PSG has been our best centre back performance of the season (IMO).

DDG
AWB Tuanzebe CB Telles
DM
VDB Bruno
Diallo Cavani Martial/ Rashford

crossy1686

career ending
We concede far too many goals for the back line not to shoulder the blame. I’d even lump in the DM as well, it’s his job to shield which I see very little of most games.

However, I think most of our issues back there are fixable with a commanding GK who puts the defence at ease and tells them what to do. You add that kind of organisation and we’d be much better.

MrSingh2002

Just curious; if we go for CD, who goes on bench?
If by CD you're referring to centreback.... I'd drop Lindelof to the bench.

Buying a good and fast centre back would then allow us to rest Maguire for the odd game too so we can get the best out of him. Currently Maguire and Lindelof have been hammered with no rest.

Tuanzebe should be used more at CB unless or until we sign a better option.

foolsgold

We probably already have a title winning squad, just needs 18 months for Rashford, McT, Greenwood et al to continue to improve and some of the recent younger signings to start offering options from the bench

OrcaFat

Disagree on a CB.

A genuine CDM who can do everything and we are transformed instantly
I’m coming round to this point of view. Trouble is, who can we realistically get?

In any case, a top class striker would help but would have to be better than what we’ve got and that will not be cheap.

Pavl3n

We're doing ok but we're more than just 2 players away, probably more like 8-9 :(
That's an exaggerated number in my opinion.
Top striker, right winger, top centre back and a top DM.
I like our fullbacks, although AWB could use some competition.
Midfield looks good, although in a couple of years time we'd need additions as Matic and Pogba will be gone.
I hope that new Ecuadorian kid steps up.
Right wing has been a glaring hole for quite some time. If Diallo unfolds his talent - then we might not need to throw stupid money on Sancho.
If Mason manages to step in by the time Cavani (who is a stop gap) leaves - then I'll be happy.
Martial needs a massive kick from behind or he has to pack his stuff.
Although he could turn into a squad player and provide cover for Rashford and Greenwood (if he has lived up to the hype).

3/4 years ago we would argue we'd need half a billion and FM environment to get a team going. Nowadays it looks like 2/3 signings and a lot of coaching.
I see progress, albeit slow, but it's there. I am really curious how we do this season. I'm confident we'll get into top 4, but it looks like we might have a cheeky
punt at the title. Dropping out of CL could be a blessing in disguise.

K Stand Knut

I’m coming round to this point of view. Trouble is, who can we realistically get?

In any case, a top class striker would help but would have to be better than what we’ve got and that will not be cheap.
Whilst I agree on a number 9, with a world class CDM, the need for our forwards to be quite so clinical diminishes massively.

In theory, we make our defence more solid and confident, we win 99.9% of games where we score twice. And we score twice more often than not.

Your question is the big issue. I don’t know who is out there that does the job and in the current climate, who is letting that player go

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
We are OK for defensive midfielders. Have none of you been watching Fred and to a lesser extent McTominay this season?

Our back 4 is all wrong though. I don’t think any of them are good enough if I’m honest. We need to start at RB and CB. Tuanzebe shows flashes of serious quality at times and there’s a chance that he is the real deal. I don’t know about Telles yet, he’s still settling in but, again, he has a chance. AWB will never be good enough and ditto Harry.
Also I agree we need a number 9. Cavani from about 8 years ago. Does he exist? Very hard to find and we probably have to make do with the attackers we have and to be fair they are improving all the time.

drmuji

We'd need:
- striker
- left forward (I'm not into Rashford, 0 first touch and 0 finishing, this is his best level, doesn't seem he will improve more. I don't care he scores 20 a season when he misses two sitters each fecking game)\
- 2 CB
- 1 DM
- 1 RB
- 1 RW

People thinking we're close to challenge for the EPL just because he had a lucky patch are out of their fecking minds.
We're a Bruno and Fred injury away of disaster and you're thinking about challenging for titles, haha.
2 Centre Backs.. Well, Ideally yes but trust me Ole will never Replace Maguire. So I think only one has to do
1 DM.. I think that is extremely important.
1 RB... Next season Dalot is coming back and he is coming along fine with Milan
1 RW... Flecking Sancho would have done but Dortmund have been Ar$ehole about him. We are all hoping Amad Diallo will do something about it

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
CB, RB, CDM and a RW depending how diallo does.

we desperately need proper cover for AWB and a top class CB.

Dominos

We need a 25 goals a season striker. Cavani should be full given game time in the short term. We have 2 inconsistent forwards and a kid who will be better than both of them. Maybe in 2 years he could take over from Cavani if we dont bring a striker in.
We need a proper DM so we can dispense of a 2 man defensive pivot and get another AM/BTB in there. Neither Fred or McTom are consistent enough if we are to win the big prizes.
Really we could do with a CD RW RB minimum as well. AWB offers nothing going forward.
I'm not even sure if 25 is meant to be that impressive. Lukaku got 28 in his first season and the fans crucified him.

Martial got 23 goals last season whilst missing a dozen games through injury and not being the pen taker. Rashford got 22 whilst missing a dozen games through injury. Rashford is on course for 30+ this season at his current rate.

passing-wind

As the weeks proceed to to go by I'm convinced more and more that Maguire is simply not good enough. He's got terrible positioning, takes to long to release a ball, always ball watching, woeful awareness I feel performances wise Lindlelof had a better partnership with Smalling than Harry. Both of our defenders need replacing to the extent that I think it's more integral than any outfield position.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I would honestly start looking more into the goalkeeping situation. I'm losing confidence in DDG and I'm not overly won over by Henderson, I find them both similar in their strengths and weaknesses.
We need a commanding GK that's going to put ease and confidence back into the defence and I just dont see it with DDG, while Henderson is still very much learning his trade.

RedDevilRoshi

CB & DM are definite the two areas I want to see us address, particularly the former. However we may need to shift some players out in that position first before we bring any new ones in as we’ve got something like 6-7 players in that position already (Maguire, Lindelof, Tuanzebe, Bailly, Jones, Rojo).

Would like to see us go for at striker too but I think Ole might consider giving Greenwood an opportunity through the middle first before spending money on a new number 9.

RW is going to be an interesting one to observe as I really hope Diallo proves to be an excellent buy.

Obiorahking_

We are 3 pieces away. If we can get a proper DM, a fast CB, and a goal scoring RW then we challenge for the title and maybe even CL assuming rivals make no major upgrades.

Def: AWB Mags CB Shaw
Mid: Bruno VDB/Fred DM
Off: Rashford Martial/Cavani RW

Bench: Lindelof, Fred/VDB, Mctominay, Greenwood, Martial/Cavani,

the chameleon

A top centre back would be great. But having looked around, I don’t see any big talents. I’m not a fan, but Maguire is the best that’s available.

A central defensive midfielder with some passing ability and vision would move the needle the most. Maybe this Caicedo could fill that void, we’ll find out.

A right wing attacking forward that scores goals would be my final piece for now. Not Sancho, he’s a good prospect, but have doubts in his attitude and mental strength.

Fridge chutney

1st team: CB partner for Maguire, and to replace Rojo/Jones in the squad.

1st team: A dominant defensive midfielder

1st team: someone to play on the right

Squad: Competition for right-back

If I'm being greedy: Grealish.

RedDevil@84

A DM and one proper striker. Not the likes of Rashford and Martial who are ok-ish scorers, but nothing special.
Rashford/Martial are ok in a team where everyone else chips in to score some

archiebald

CB and DM. Martial and Cavani are more than serviceable for now at CF.

Widow

RW & DCM

With AWB lack of attacking ability and no solid RW, any half decent opposition shuts the right side down easily.

That said, I'd really like a true, Kane-esk type of finisher. Rashford & Tony have a horrible 1 in 3 habit and it's not good enough for a title winning team. Could you imagine the goals Kane would get in our side?

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Ideally moving on Pogba (he wants to leave £50-60M) and Martial £40-50M (I doubt he will be at the top top level, he's great but I feel he is a top 4 player, not a league winning starter XI), with getting rid of the deadwood Lingard (wage-bill), Jones (wage-bill), Romero (wage-bill), Rojo (wage-bill), James (gamble didn't work out).

Releasing Pogba leaves the issue of perhaps needing a deep-lying playmaker, the CDM needs to be one who can play line breaking passes but also screen the back 4.

Diallo coming in will fill Martials position, he will create a lot more, but there needs to be a striker that can juggle playing time like Cavani.

Getting in a CDM, CB and Striker will do wonders for the team.

United really didn't spend as much as they could have last summer, so I think there's money available, then you have funds raised from the wage bill being cleared and getting rid of some players who just aren't at the level

I think Sancho would have been a good fit but, but it depends on how Diallo performs in his 6 months pre-summer. Diallo I think is going to take Sanchos place so that deal is dead.

Problem with Diallo is he's young and he will need to put on a little muscle.

the CDM and CB I have no idea, but I think United would prefer Upamecano.

I think priorities would be: Haaland, Upamecano and a CDM, with Pogba and Martial out, would complete the team.

After that it's honestly just seeing how the team performs and adding in future windows.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Konate + Haaland and we’ll win the league.

We have already invested in the RW, so that position has been bought for, and if the Caicedo deal is done - then I think Haaland and Konate would do it.

You would think that Pogba and Martial in all likelihood would leave at some point too, which should offset cost a lot.

eire-red

I think the puzzle is a few pieces short at the moment. Ole has a few big decisions on his hands.

He needs to find balance in that midfield, whether that's with or without Pogba. Say what you will about him, he's too good for the bench.

We need a decision on Henderson or De Gea. Rotating goalies like that is just crazy.

Recruitment has to be spot on in the next two windows. We need a CB and probably a CM as a priority, along with one of two more squad options. Ole has a big decision to make on Martial, and Greenwood is wasted out wide. He looks like the future of the club along with Rashford, and I know it's a case of getting him minutes, but we need to see him up front more often. Do we trust him enough to go without signing a big name striker?

Will Martial be content with possibly not being a guaranteed starter? I think Ole has done well so far with his easing certain players out of the squad, perhaps this will be his biggest challenge for him yet because it's a much harder task to fit the pieces to take you from third to champions, than sixth or seventh to third.

jem

We'd need:
- striker
- left forward (I'm not into Rashford, 0 first touch and 0 finishing, this is his best level, doesn't seem he will improve more. I don't care he scores 20 a season when he misses two sitters each fecking game)\
- 2 CB
- 1 DM
- 1 RB
- 1 RW

People thinking we're close to challenge for the EPL just because he had a lucky patch are out of their fecking minds.
We're a Bruno and Fred injury away of disaster and you're thinking about challenging for titles, haha.
Ridiculous statement followed by a stupid exaggeration.

wolvored

I'm not even sure if 25 is meant to be that impressive. Lukaku got 28 in his first season and the fans crucified him.

Martial got 23 goals last season whilst missing a dozen games through injury and not being the pen taker. Rashford got 22 whilst missing a dozen games through injury. Rashford is on course for 30+ this season at his current rate.
Sorry meant in the Premier, not overall.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I have always said that we should build our team based on the one when we beat Everton 3-1 this season.

DDG
Bissaka Lindelof Maguire Shaw
McTominay Fred
Mata Bruno Rashford
Martial
You could say minimum is 2 or 3 pieces to upgrade that XI but also depends on how Martial perform to the end of this season, we might need the 4th one.

lex talionis

I just can’t see us bringing in Erling Haaland. But if the gods have finally decided we have suffered long enough, that we’ve begged long enough for forgiveness, then clear everything else out on our to do list and bring the boy to Old Trafford.

I’d still want us to bring in a DM and a CB, but the need for a clinical finisher who shits the pants of defenders is beyond all debate. If that’s not possible right now then let’s do what we can to bring in a young Matic/Carrick to do a better job of shielding our CBs than McFred can (see the Barnes goal) and when it’s possible a CB who bring us the pace of Bailly and Tuanzebe but better in reading danger, which Maguire and Lindelof are still lacking in.