2013 Gold Cup

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
was hoping for some revenge in the final this coming Sunday but Panama didn't get the memo.

US must be clear favorites now and seeing as it's not Mexico in the final they should get home advantage too.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
3-1, USA. Klinsmann got sent off because he shouted at the ref for missing a blatant foul. Not sure what CONCACAF's rules are for bans.

He was shouting because the ref let a knee-high studs-up challenge on Beasley go with no call.
Was the ref Mexican? Holy crap! With a decent ref Honduras would finish the game with a few red cards.

Ruud10

A Bit Wordy
Was the ref Mexican? Holy crap! With a decent ref Honduras would finish the game with a few red cards.
I have no idea what the nationality of the referee was, but he turned a blind eye to every vicious Honduras foul. 2 reds, perhaps 3, should have been issued.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Destroying Mexico would have been fun, but I guess we'll have to settle for Panama.

MUFC07

We didn't get to the final... Get in! I mean, the US would have destroyed us, and we can't allow that.

Unfortunately, we still haven't sacked our manager.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Klinsmann suspended for the final for "violently throwing the ball" at the ground. :lol:

I hate CONCACAF. Their anti-US/Mexico bias is so blatant.

Cali Red

The US is dire n the final third and Panama can't get anything going. Not a fun match to watch. And the red is pretty awful as well.

Cali Red

Eddie Johnson misses from 2 yards out, right in front of the goal.....

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I called it at the bar before the match - Shea will be an impact sub. That said, any player would have scored from his position if the player had been in that position. EJ's miss was reminiscent of a few misses from players in the past.

Any word on Holden's injury?

That was a terrible match though. Reminded me of those Barca possession masterpieces but no goals to show for it.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Has this tournament answered any questions regarding squad selection for the World Cup? Fair play to Klinsmann for beating the competition in front of him with a patched squad and all, but has anything changed?

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
It's only created more headaches, imo. Diskerud, Eddie Johnson, Donovan are probably now in the group of "should be in the WC squad" while Holden would be if he hadn't gotten hurt again. Wondowlowski may still get in. Beasley and Besler will be in the squad anyway, as will Omar Gonzalez.

I'm eager to see how John Anthony Brooks does against Bosnia. He's highly rated and chose to play for the US.

Cali Red

I'd think Diskerud makes the squad. And this tournament didn't really answer too many questions other than will Donovan be on the squad and that answer was always yes assuming he got fit. The only remaining question is really does Wondolowski make the team. Not sure and wouldn't think so.

AlwaysRedwood

Has this tournament answered any questions regarding squad selection for the World Cup? Fair play to Klinsmann for beating the competition in front of him with a patched squad and all, but has anything changed?

No. It proved we are still reliant on Donovan for success, as it has been for 12 or so years.

He's 34.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
No. It proved we are still reliant on Donovan for success, as it has been for 12 or so years.

He's 34.

I think the games before the Gold Cup demonstrated the first team isn't reliant on him anymore. They managed well without him and it helped improve the team.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Donovan is 31 and will be 32 before the next WC. Not old but not young either. The US needs to identify a young player that can fill Donovan's role long-term.

I just hope Beckerman is not there; I would take Cameron and Edu over him. I still don't rate Wondolowski - EJ, Gomez, and Boyd offer much more. Just a shot in the dark but I'd say this is likely the 23-man squad at the moment, health provided. Too many Johnsons and it's probable I've omitted more deserving players/included less deserving players. It's also probable a young player (like Brooks above) or veteran makes his mark over the next few months.

GK-Howard, Guzan, Rimando/S Johnson (I'm not a fan of Rimando but he's third on the depth chart at the moment)
RB-Evans, Chandler(LB)
CD-Gonzalez, Besler, Goodson
LB-F Johnson(MF/LW), Beasley(LW)
RW-Zusi, Corona(LW)
CM-Bradley, Holden (Diskured if Holden is out)
DM-Jones, Cameron(DF)
LW-Dempsey(RW/SS), Shea
SS-Donovan(WG)
CF-Altidore, Boyd, Gomez/E Johnson

I've intentionally left off the 23rd man which is likely one of Cherundolo (if he returns fully fit and gets his chances), Bedoya, Diskerud, Kljestan, or Torres (I feel he's still the best ball possession midfielder for the squad and would be better off in 4-3-3/4-5-1 versus out wide in 4-4-2).

It's possible Cherundolo makes the squad, Evans as his backup, Chandler moves to LB, and Johnson occupies a utility role/displaces Shea. If Johnson displaces Shea that still leaves open a slot for Bedoya/Diskerud/Kljestan/Torres or that Beckerman crap. I'm fearful of Beasley at LB in a WC match against half-decent opposition - he'll get found out quickly.

Cali Red

Going into the WC, I'd think Edu has to be included. I would assume our DM position could get into early and often card trouble seeing as how we don't have a big possession game against top tier teams. Probably a the expense of one of the strikers given Dempsey and Donovan can play in that role.